DIY ethanol free gasoline

I'd assume that gas is more expensive to make than ethanol. 10 to 15% less gas makes it just that much cheaper.

The federal gov’t pays the refinery to mix the ethanol with the gasoline, it is called the ‘blender’s credit’. That is the reason why ethanol fuel is cheaper, because it is subsidized.

Everything I have with less than 3 cylinders runs ethanol free fuel without any additives. I have been doing that way for five years, and I have not had to tear a carb apart since. Leaf blower, chainsaw, string trimmer, and mini tiller get used very few times a year. They used to be constant headaches, not one problem since the fuel switch. Based on the issues before the switch, what I’ve read on the tractor forums, and talking to my local small engine guru, I decided to go ethanol free on the small engines and it has worked for me.
My local small engine mechanic would prefer everyone keep using ethanol, he’s got a kid in college.

See Ethanol Damage UP CLOSE! | The Blog at Jacks Small Engines

Last edited:
I have "tiny carbs" in 3 chains saws, 2 line trimmers and a trim mower and they eat it like candy.
I think it’s safe to say that everyone here is happy you are getting the results you are WITHOUT having to spend more or buy special fuel. That being said, it’s probably also safe to assume that the guys who have had issues are reporting their findings honestly.
I have had several instances where carbs that have sat have mysteriously corroded. This is, indeed NOT the rule, but it isn’t rare. In every instance, it has been ethanol embellished fuels.
I don’t have a reason to lay blame on ethanol for no reason. I have no stock in petroleum or big oil. Do not dabble in produce futures, am not a spokesperson for carb cleaners, and I have no tattoos on my butt billboarding any fuel additive.
As for why one guy has problems, another doesn’t? Humidity, how good the tank cap is, temperature variances, voodoo priestess with a grudge... who the Hell knows.
I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the reason one tank will and the next won’t, is the ACTUAL percentage. No one tests every tanker as it empties at the station, the tag says up to 10%, but it could be less... it can also be more if a mistake is made somewhere.
So, one guy buys a can of 6%, another guy a week later accidentally get 12%. Results may vary.

To summarize; I am happy when anyone has had good results running regular fuel. Let’s be equally supportive of guys who have had bad luck a couple times and are being cautious.

I have "tiny carbs" in 3 chains saws, 2 line trimmers and a trim mower and they eat it like candy.

Mike run fine on it until they sit for the winter. Even if I run them out of fuel. Pulled the carb off my craftsman weedeater and it was awfully corroded. Only ran that weedeater one season. I hung it up on the basement and haven't touched it since. Wasnt worth the effort.

So, one guy buys a can of 6%, another guy a week later accidentally get 12%. Results may vary.

To summarize; I am happy when anyone has had good results running regular fuel. Let’s be equally supportive of guys who have had bad luck a couple times and are being cautious.

Could the ethanol have absorbed water prior to being dispensed into your container? Thus one guy gets 'dry' fuel at his station; another does not. Before ethanol, I had instances of getting bad gas at the pumps.

I'm glad that Roger has such good luck with E10!

It is my carbureted pickups where I got the most grief for the years when no e-free gas was available, although I did work on a lot of pulse-jet briggs engines with a lot of carb corrosion damage. My main trucks still have carburetors on them. I struggled with a carb I finally removed from a 10 hp Tecumseh that would get white corrosion really fast. Don't know why that one would do that so fast except it was a snow blower engine that didn't have an air cleaner. Maybe sucking in that snowy air and the ethanol in the gas absorbing moisture from the air?

I also remember back in the late 70's early 80's when "gasahol" was first being marketed. Never really had any problems back then, but it doesn't even smell the same now. Back then it smelled good, now it stinks---LOL!

I'm also glad that it seems some of us have a choice again!

DAC

A vendor selling additives at a tractor show told me that it is usually the length of time in the can or tank that makes a difference. The amount I use puts me on the line if I will have trouble with ethanol or not. So far I have not, but that could change overnight because of how long it was in the tank. I do run some additives, but not on a regular basis.

Wow, didn't expect 3 pages of discussion about having bad gas.
I found a station near us with ethanol free gas, 25 miles near :( but the positive , my som drived past it every day going to work :thumbs: I told him he might have to start buying our equipment gas and he says.
"Oh yea, we use all that in our equipment at work".... he works for the county parks just a few miles away.

If ethanol was the only fuel available I'd live with it. But as long as regular gas is available 3/4 of a mile away that's what I'm using in my equipment. My outboards have never seen ethanol and won't if I can help it.
For you folks that are having good luck with ethanol I envy you as it hasn't worked here.

I would like to know why it works in some areas and not others ? I get my gas in plastic fuel containers, stored inside on boards, not on the floor or ground. Sta-bil is added to each container before the fuel is put in. Ever once in a while I put MMO in the engine tank when I fill it on the old engines. I don't think I am doing anything special. Tanks like the line trimmers, trim mowers and Gt's are not drained nor are the carbs run dry. I do turn the fuel off in case of a flat valve failure. Nothing special to any of them.

My Nephew is a Sthil dealer and his dad was before him. Says he can tell as soon as he opens a carburetor up if it's had ethanol in it. They are not fans of the stuff and say poor fuel is a major cause of small engine problems. I guess after the family has been in the business for over 40 years they should know what they are talking about.

Can't argue with that, but I don't like Dodge vehicles so don't expect me to say anything good about them. Along these same line anyone on here run bio-diesel in their truck/tractor, etc.?

Can't argue with that, but I don't like Dodge vehicles so don't expect me to say anything good about them. Along these same line anyone on here run bio-diesel in their truck/tractor, etc.?

When I can buy it and it's less expensive than regular fuel, I do. If you have ran it in a while, ie 6 months or more you may have a fuel filter issue as it seems that biodiesel cleans the crude out of the tank and fuel system. I know some Dodge guys early on had rubber fuel line issues but I believe that Dodge and Cummins overcame that with later model of their trucks. I personally don't like the Dodge trucks and I've been driving 7.3 Ford's since 1990 and still am..

Glad to hear the good results from the biodiesel. I think most if not all farmers in this area (SW Iowa) run bio in everything. Not even sure if the local Co-op has it. I know they have the E85. I don't think there is the winter problem with it either but not sure on that.

I can't speak for recently but in the past there was problems with fungus forming in the bio-diesel. My Son purchased a pickup that had it in the fuel system and it took him a while to get it cleared up. Was changing filters all the time. Maybe someone can tell us if it is still a problem.

I run biodiesel in my truck all the time. It seems to get the same fuel mileage. Mine is a little newer it is a 2001 7.3 liter Ford
Charlie

I'm currently driving a 99 F-250 SD with the 7.3 out of my 01 that got totalled. The 99 had 536,??? miles on it when the transmission broke something in it when I put it in reverse one day so I pulled the 7.3 engine and transmission complete out of the 01 with 312,??? miles and dropped it in last spring. I still have the 99 engine in the shed to use if I ever might need it. Dad's truck is a 02 7.3 with just over 200,000 miles on it.

@FixItCharlie

Back