Getting started on a new project

MNGB

Tractorologist
Hi all well I'm getting started on a new project this is something I've wanted to try to do for sometime now but never got it going so we'll see how it go. Any guesses as to what it is going to be?? Some pics for a hint

HPIM2348.JPGHPIM2349.JPGHPIM2350.JPG

You got the mower in front of the horse haven't you ?? Hang a ear of corn on a pole out in front of the PK and see if it will pull the mower with the wheels seized ? :p :thumbs:

Hi all good replies but not excatly right, I like the mower before the horse ahh err the PK, Cat385B is close but the steel wheel will be saved for a later project Did make some progress today well its got to come apart first then the build

HPIM2351.JPGHPIM2353.JPGHPIM2354.JPGHPIM2355.JPG

Hi all well yesterday worked on getting the parts off the old mower I wanted & needed and cleaning up parts, today was a short day had other things to do but got started on fabricating a frame and figuring out how its going to be assembled its looking like it will work heres some picture you all should get the idea now

HPIM2356.JPGHPIM2357.JPGHPIM2358.JPG

Only issue I see is the mower bar is to far to the right of the tractor. The inside bar shoe is supposed to be right behind the rear wheel of the tractor, not set out to the right. Don't forget about a break away for the bar either. Just in case you catch something with the end of the bar.

Hi, I have a half dozen or so old horse mower sickles most are IH the biggest thing I've found is the drive knob on the sickle IH one I have a 1.25" diameter the one OEM to this mower is 1.125 but I intend to use an IH, I have it set out so that I can adjust the rear wheels out for a wider stance and it will be close to right on that way no break away system some mower have it many do not this one will not
Thanks guys

If you can't have a proper breakaway, you might plan in a controlled failure point.
Wooden Pittman arm and a shear bolt on the arm mount might save you some heart and headaches
Awesome repurpose project.
Yep. Tractor supply sells the wooden
pitman arm about to buy one for my Farmall Cub sickle

I always like to see my pitman before I bought it to be sure I got one with the grain running from end to end. If the grain runs out to the side some place, that is a week point and probable failure. Hickory only.

Yep they have to be hickory I've seen one made of Fir and Pine and other they don't last, only had the part of the pitman that attaches to the flywheel other end was gone so I bought a complete one will see how it looks will have to shorten it to fit

I don't think they make the brand specific any more. We have an old ACE Hardware store that is BIG. They have a rack full of pitman sticks. Even have the old walking plow handles. Lot of the old style galvanized containers from small watering cans to milk can and any kind of pail in between. I bet they would have the sections for your bar also.

Back