1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 3CBDB8F9-7D0C-45E7-9854-407CBD5894F7.png
    3CBDB8F9-7D0C-45E7-9854-407CBD5894F7.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 0EF04107-CFB1-4441-BAA2-EB62F8A6CBA5.png
    0EF04107-CFB1-4441-BAA2-EB62F8A6CBA5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi all well we got 5/6" of new (nice new fresh) snow yesterday so today spent time in the F-250 plowing it was to cold to use the GT's will clean up tomorrow with them. Got the new drive belt so got the clutch reassembled and installed the belt started the engine and its working nice the belt guide rod is doing its job when the clutch is disengaged the belt and sickle stop, run it for a couple of minutes opened the throttle and it ran nice, a couple of snow and mower pictures

HPIM2411.JPGHPIM2412.JPGHPIM2415.JPGHPIM2416.JPGHPIM2417.JPG

Nice pictures of the mower, not so nice pictures of the snow. Hehe. Good to hear the mower is working good. Be nice to see it cutting grass soon. But 3 months yet till grass cutting time.

Noel

Hi Noel thanks and your right it'll be a good 3 maybe 4 months before mowing, after I finished plowing and was looking at the plies got to thinking 60 65 years ago it would have been lots of fun to climb to the top of those plies like climbing a mountain and then sliding down but as you say it just looks cold

Hi all, I'm calling it completed for now no doubt there will be some tuning needed when its out in the real world got the jack redesigned and installed and its good now the swath board readjusted per advise of my brother, I want to thank all for your interest and advice and ideas I considered then all and incorporated those I could.

HPIM2426.JPGHPIM2427.JPGHPIM2428.JPGHPIM2429.JPG

Very interesting build I always thought it would be nice to have something like that. One thing that I see that I would look at a different way to do it is the bar used to hold the cutting bar vertical. My luck I would always be loosing that nut somewhere. Could maybe an eyebolt be used on the cutter bar & maybe a length of chain with hooks on both end be used when carrying the bar up like that. I see a setup like this & I always wonder what kind of problems could be lurking there.
Charlie

Your looking real good with your project. They make different thickness of clamps that attach to the cylinder rod to limit the travel. Basically 1/2 round pieces of aluminum with a flat spring to hold them together. These would be inexpensive, adjustable and available at most Farm 7 Home stores. Down travel can be limited with a chain or rod between the cylinder yoke and the bar, also adjustable.
90% of the mowers use a rod with an eye in one end and threaded on the other to hold the bar vertical. Threaded end goes into a hole on the bar with a nut with a rod about 4" long welded to it. Can turn loose that way.

Last edited:
Good Morning, nice and cool here, hey Roger it this the do thingy your talking about for the bar rod (see picture 1&2).
Hi FixItCharlie, I don't thonk you thought your idea out completely, if you put an eye bolt in the cutter bar the hay/grass would catch on on it bunching up, using a chain would require 2.5 hands to hook the hooks and hold the bar up and then when driving around if you hit a hole or a rock the chain could unhook and the bar would slam down so I'll stay with the tried and proven rod and special nut to hold the bar up is has worked for over 100 years, thanks anyway

HPIM2430.JPGHPIM2432.JPG

Back