Getting started on a new project

Hi all, yesterday worked on small things that don't show but are necessary like removing rust and painting nuts and bolts and the sickle guards have the last 4 in the rock tumbler so tomorrow morning they will be done and in the paint room. Been thinking about how to make the hydraulic bar lift work and where and how to mount the hyd cylinder after looking thinking (lots of wheel turning some slippage) came up with a plan and it is working maybe some fine tuning but I happy with how its working now, was trying to figure out how much down from level and up from level the bar should travel. I checked the IH 22 mower manual and in the specs it says they have 15 degrees down and 30 degrees up well that seemed like a lot so I went by eye balling the bar and ended up with approx 7 degrees down and 13 degrees up.

HPIM2374.JPGHPIM2375.JPGHPIM2376.JPGHPIM2377.JPGHPIM2379.JPG

Hi all, worked on the cutter bar got it cleaned up and painted the bar the inner shoe and the outer shoe got the inner grass rod fairly straight its as good as it will get tomorrow will assemble the cutter bar and see how it all looks. Checked out the sickle I had in the back pile turns out there was 4 for this mower cleaned then up with a wire brush on the side arm grinder one had a bend about 12" from the outer end heated it and got it straight one had a break in the strap witch welded up good so I have 3 kind of ready checked at the local Fleet Farm store found they have sickle section that should work if I need to replace them
HPIM2384.JPGHPIM2385.JPGHPIM2386.JPGHPIM2387.JPGHPIM2388.JPGHPIM2389.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all, have been working on things that don't show that much but must be done, did get the sickle bar painted and reassembled cleaned up one of the sickles and sharpened the knives will see how it works talking to my brother and he has a bucket of good use sections so may get some from him and change then on one or more sickles, Worked the main weldment got the holes for mounting the engine located and drilled and relocated the lift cylinder mount bracket may paint the frame soon.

HPIM2391.JPGHPIM2392.JPGHPIM2394.JPG

I haven't seen where there is any adjustment for the lead/lag of the bar itself, or up/down angle of the bar. Need both of these if it is to function good. Otherwise could run into a lot of tearing of the material and plugging problems.

Hi Roger, going to use the top link to adjust the up/down angle of the sickle bar no lead lag adjustment just checked this morning on the up/down can get 10+ degrees down and about 10 up using the top link

Hi Roger, going to use the top link to adjust the up/down angle of the sickle bar no lead lag adjustment just checked this morning on the up/down can get 10+ degrees down and about 10 up using the top link
That will work. You will have plenty of adjustment there. If you have the frame built so the end of the bar has some lead to it you may be OK. The bar will pull back when it gets into the material your cutting. Be a shame to get that pretty thing all stained up with non-removable grass juice.

OH No the non removable grass juice I hadn't givin that a consideration, at my age I'm not going to be renting any hay ground at best I'll mow along the shoulder of our township road and around the edges of the runway etc mostly its something I wanted to try it keeps me out of the bar (like that means anything too old for that also)I know I'll not be going into production:)

OH No the non removable grass juice I hadn't givin that a consideration, at my age I'm not going to be renting any hay ground at best I'll mow along the shoulder of our township road and around the edges of the runway etc mostly its something I wanted to try it keeps me out of the bar (like that means anything too old for that also)I know I'll not be going into production:)

They, yours included, are built to be used which includes scraps, skins, grass stains, broken sections, etc. All part of the project. That is why I very rarely paint any of my tractors or equipment.

Went into the shop this morning and worked some on the sickle mower, last Saturday I painted the main frame PK orange (Rustoluem gloss Lobster red) it was cured well enough to attach to the tractor got the flywheel bearing installed and the lift cylinder bracket on painted the drive pulleys, am working on a clutch to engage the engine. Didn't go back in after lunch its -22*F with 21 mph winds giving a wind chill temp of -53*F just uses up too much LP to heat the shop

Hi all, well after taking a day & half off for the cold temps I went into the shop today (couldn't take another day doing nothing well kind of nothing) got in the shop to turn up the heat shop heater was working good and the heat started up but going into the office it was cool the office heated had gone out after restarting it a half dozen times the light came on the thermocouple was not working, so I decided to get the 1620 PK out and plow the snow that was in front of the doors boy is -27*F cold when on a tractor no matter how much fun getting seat time is. After dinner I cleaned the office heater checked the thermocouple lubed the contact and reinstalled it got the heater back together and started it it stayed light all afternoon and was working when I left the shop at 5. Did get some things done on the mower got the engine installed the pitman flywheel assembled and worked on a clutch to engage the engine did run the engine some and its looking good

HPIM2395.JPGHPIM2396.JPGHPIM2397.JPGHPIM2398.JPGHPIM2399.JPGHPIM2400.JPG

Looking good. I have a belt drive set up like what you have. Had to put a rod out from the engine to hold the belt down & away from the engine pulley when the tensioner was off. With no load it will still try to turn the driven pulley as the belt is to deep in the drive pulley.

Hi Roger I was thinking about that finished up on the clutch system this morning and ran the engine to engage it and that part works and as you post it wants to run with the tension off I'm hoping with the sickle connected there will be enough drag to keep it from turning if not will look into doing what you did parts are in the paint room now this afternoon will attach the cutter bar and see what has to be done to the pitman stick

Nothing to make one.. 1/4" rod, bend an eye in one end and 90° bend in the other. Mount with the flat iron that is bolted vertical the belt tensioner is on. Couple inches to the left of the drive pulley and full adjustment available. Had to do that with my tiller set up to. Only way I could stop the tiller from turning was to drop it to the ground. Your looking good. Can't wait to see it cutting some grass.

Hi all, well got the cutter bar installed on the mower along with the lift cylinder, down travel looks good but I think the up travel will have to be limit so as not get so much lift just looking it looks like it too much for the sickle and pitman stick will check more tomorrow

HPIM2401.JPGHPIM2402.JPGHPIM2405.JPGHPIM2406.JPGHPIM2408.JPG

The 3 point bar mowers I have used did most of the lifting with the 3 point, not just the bar. The IH I used had a wobble box at the inside end of the bar and the sickle could be run with the bar vertical. 16 - 18" of lift at the outside end of the bar is enough. Just need enough to clear any down material good.

Thanks all, Roger I was thinking that I really didn't need a bar lift when it could be lifted with the 3 pt, so thank you for confirming that. I'm going to go that route just have to fabricate a linkage to limit the down travel of the bar.
This afternoon I got clutch installed and temporarily connected the pitman bar it was about 2" short so I removed the rivets that attached sickle head to the bar and moved it out one rivet hole about 1.5" not enough but good enough to give it a try got it installed started the engine and engaged the clutch and it was running so nice and smooth I was grinning from ear to ear then I speeded up the engine and the stick came apart it was dry rotted but I still got to see it run and am still smiling will work on a replacement bar next week also have to fabricate a belt guide like Roger posted to keep the belt from dragging when the clutch is disengaged.

HPIM2409.JPGHPIM2410.JPG

Last edited:
Back