Hill Top adventures

Today's job was to tear out the stone foundation without collapsing the barn. I should have had a smaller machine, way too much stick to go in underneath easily.
0917190946.jpg
At the end of the day it was still standing. Got a few props to hold things in place. 20' 6×6 should hold something.
0917190932.jpg

Another interesting day of removing the barn foundation. More props and tedious digging. What it looks like from the top side.
0919190849.jpg

And from the inside.
0919190848.jpg

And when I decided enough for today.
0919191446.jpg
Now with the wall gone we need to change all the posts to make room to dig new footers. But we have left to go do some new construction again. Bad part is it will be waiting for us the next time we have a lapse in the schedule.

I got the last of our field corn picked last night. Which we grew for our chickens. It was still really green, but was getting worms and mold. So I decided to pick and dry it inside to hopefully stop the loss. Those worms were quite irritating, opened the husks at the top and let the mold in. Close to two thirds of this patch suffered. I wonder if being planted extra late had anything to do with that.

We took the mower deck off JR's TracTeam tonight. Got the shredder hooked on to shred all the corn stalks. Which got frustrating trying to remember how the belt runs and where did the belt get to in the years since we had it hooked up. Usually I just used a mower to do that with the sweetcorn stalks. The field corn got about twice as tall so a little extra is needed this year.
1003192028.jpg
Definitely trying to make this a year round machine. JR is hoping to put the leaf vac on next week.

We had a yellow jacket nest in a set of railroad tie steps. I sprayed them a number of times and couldn't kill them off completely. Natue came to help. Found the nest all dug out one day. My first thought was probably a skunk. I don't know of any other animal around here that would do that.
0928190942.jpg

Yesterday morning on the ride to the job, cruising down the highway I met an owl. A big bird just floating down from a sign. Boss was riding shotgun and dozing. It hit the windshield in front of the boss. Sure woke him up fast. Cracked the windshield and left scuff marks where it slid up. It sure sounded like it was coming right through, the impact was that loud.

Last evening I was working on JR's school computer. Thought he found a nice picture for his home screen background.
1025192129.jpg
He found it over on GTt from a few years ago.

Today a contractor called me wondering if I need to update my furnace. His crew pulled a boiler from a vacation house where he had a heat pump installed. 4 year old oil burner. But I have forced air not radiators. But my grandma needs a new boiler. Once I saw where it was I almost gave up on the idea, way up on a hill, but sheer determination won and it is in the truck ready to deliver to grandma! Right shoulder feels like someone slugged it with a baseball bat. Been bothering me quite a bit the last month. Enough to wake me up through the night. Really overdid it manhandling the loading. Got my younger brother lined up to help unload tomorrow.

Trying to rewire my coal stove to be a wood burner. Adding switches to separate different circuits for the different aspects of fire. If anyone ever tries to work on this thing using a manual, they will be lost. A real head scratcher. It definitely will be a money saved for me, worth the time.

JR was off from school for parent teacher conferences. So he got to ride along with Dad. It was an interesting day of digging new post foundation in the old bank barn we are salvaging. We had a Cat 303 that barely fit inside under the floor and a baby Kubota. JR got the privilege of playing in the dirt pile. Leveling it off to maintain our work area. 1108191015.jpg
A huge grin as he realized he had a heated cab while dad was in an open cab.
1108191705.jpg

Back