Hill Top adventures

What pipe did you use? I was recommended Pex. Which I found fairly easy to install.

I've done everything I replaced in copper. It was all I knew at the time. Ive had great success soldering my stuff (new..old is 75/25 success/failure i never seem to be able to get 40 year old copper clean enough. Even bought a pipe cleaner that goes on a drill)

Now I've done 2 big plumbing projects for other people and we used pex. I wish i had used pex! I knew nothing about it prior to these installs. I have a crimp tool now and experience with it.

I will redo what I have left in copper and one day when it fails. Probably many years from now ill replace it with pex.

Pex is still fairly new tech, but know of 2 people that swear by it. I'm still a bit leery of it. My 1st choice is always sweated copper with plenty of threaded unions where appropriate, and I hate working on plumbing where I have to turn off the whole house to fix 1faucet, because then nobody can use anything else in the building until I finish. I remember when I put the tankless water heater in and had my cousin came by to help and I was having a hard time getting 1 sweat joint to seal, the rest was in and good, and when he said "oh if you would have used pex you would have been done with it by now" I got that joint sealed up, and don't know why that one joint was such a pain, but pex just seems so half azz to me

I wonder what Pex will be like in 15 years. My brother had CPCV(?) in his house. It turned brittle and skipped right past leaking to full on rupturing. Fortunately he was home and caught it before it destroyed his house. He had to open walls and remove everything. Friend of mine had three neighbors houses with it blow lines while they were out of town. All three had over 80,000 dollars in insurance claims.

My house was built 18 years ago with full copper. I was happy when I checked the house before making an offer and saw copper. All of my faucets, toilets and such have individual shut offs.

I agree pex is unproven. When my copper fails in 30 years I may replace with pex.

One thing I dislike about pex is it takes 5 million clamps to get it to lay straight and if you dont have enough it sags over time.

The camp cabin is all done in pex and it all sagged. I went back through with more clamps. I'm not sure how it looks now. I haven't been there for 2 years. My buddy that uses it frequently keeps it cleaned up and the grass cut. He owns a 1/3rd of it too.

Pex is still fairly new tech, but know of 2 people that swear by it. I'm still a bit leery of it. My 1st choice is always sweated copper with plenty of threaded unions where appropriate, and I hate working on plumbing where I have to turn off the whole house to fix 1faucet, because then nobody can use anything else in the building until I finish. I remember when I put the tankless water heater in and had my cousin came by to help and I was having a hard time getting 1 sweat joint to seal, the rest was in and good, and when he said "oh if you would have used pex you would have been done with it by now" I got that joint sealed up, and don't know why that one joint was such a pain, but pex just seems so half azz to me

Some of them joints can be a sob. I was doing a threaded coupler to a piece of a copper. I must of redone that joint a half dozen times before it took. My dad has zero luck with it. He may get 1 and 10 to not leak...

I'm usually ok with soldering copper as long as I take it back to the last soldered joint. New to new, no problem. New to old, all but "forget about it". But if I remove it at the last soldered joint and go back up with it, then I'm usually home free.

I never did any copper solder joints. I believe that would be a learning curve that I didn't have time for this round. With my luck I would have burned half the house with the torch.

I never did any copper solder joints. I believe that would be a learning curve that I didn't have time for this round. With my luck I would have burned half the house with the torch.
My dad taught me to heat the fitting, not the solder, let the heat from the copper melt the solder and suck it into the joint. That and clean both pieces and use flux. He had me doing this under our house when I was growing up because I was the only one that could fit under parts of the house.

Got the last of the taters hilled last evening. Watered them tonight and got grass clippings on a few more. Some of them are a lot darker green than the rest. Should give them another shot of fertilizer. Snap peas should be ready this weekend!
0617201916.jpg

Friday I took JR along to work for an enjoyable father son day. Then on the way home he was on the phone talking very mysterious with his mom. But not wanting to discuss anything with me. Hmm, something is definitely ordered for pops. Then I found a catalog from Paulb in the vehicle, so I know they were there. And a Dewalt flier....
Today I was told my new 60v Dewalt string trimmer should be in this week.

Spent another day at the old homestead style property we do maintenance on. This time he needed doors on the squirrel tail oven and smoke house. Went in to his barn where his stash of lumber is, now today it is walnut lumber to make the shiplap planking from. From rough cut live edge boards to doors.
0626201422.jpg0626201437.jpg

Toasted myself and I on a roof today. 12/12 on the south side with no breeze. Head hurts tonight for some reason. JR decided it is time to resurrect his craftsmen rider. So while I was at work,he was doing my garden work so I have time for his project tonight. We got it started, needs a drive belt yet which takes hands a tenth the size of mine to wiggle it into place. Skeeter patrol...

0702202038.jpg

Shaved the quarantine beard off this weekend. It was too hot in this heat. JR just laughed at me and asked how soon I will grow it back. He thinks I look better with it. Maybe fall, definitely not summer. And this morning as I was unlocking the work truck I found a sign.
0706201641.jpg
JR seemed a bit disappointed I found it before I got on the road.

only 41? I would go back there without hesitation...… working on 53 the end of the week.....
and the beard gets trimmed back now and then/ but to shave it off? Nope sorry

Shaved the quarantine beard off this weekend. It was too hot in this heat. JR just laughed at me and asked how soon I will grow it back. He thinks I look better with it. Maybe fall, definitely not summer. And this morning as I was unlocking the work truck I found a sign.
View attachment 27173
JR seemed a bit disappointed I found it before I got on the road.
Don't know if I'd want to be that age again!

Back