I like winter, but can spring hurry and get here?

Nice 55 poncho! My favorite year of the tri-5s.

Even though I'm mainly a GM guy, way back in the early 60's I saw the movie "Thunder Road" at my grandparents house in Georgia. I became an instant car kid, and that '57 Ford Robert Mitchum drove after his shoebox got blown up was the sexiest car I ever saw! I still dig a '57 Ford. When I got older I learned to hate those backward opening hoods though.

When you show something like this pile, it ain't real important to clean tires and do lots of detailing....

DAC

Drive 55 4-2-16 009.jpg

Don't bother me to see them in their original condition. They've stood the test of time.

Did you notice the east river Codington county plate, Chris? Hard to find a truck plate that Pierre will approve but I got lucky! Most the time a person has to use a car plate on a truck.

DAC

There is a guy here in Michigan who sells plates. You can usually get what you want although it may take a bit of time.

I have some plates here from as far back as 1957.
our buick runs a new plate even though I have thre orginal plate that was issued to it. But they used a year sticker back then and I don't have that or I could use the orginal plate forever.

I don't remember what the fee was to do that.
But with the historcal plate it cost me $10.00 for 30 years.

2dEV79I.jpg

Fellow who owns this nice Dodge panal is in a wheel chair. it has the chair lift in the back and all controlls to drive it is hand controlled.

bDbtmlZ.jpg

Thought you would like to see this one. The owner has a nice collection of vintage school busses.

wh94skU.jpg

I was still useing the old camera to get the picture of this nice old Buick.

pWwZS5c.jpg

Guy who built this is a wood worker and builds some fine furniture.

JDAcJvM.jpg

RLspraH.jpg

:D Al

More cool pics Al. The first pickup I owned was a '55 binder 100 very similar to the first one you posted. Bought it in 1973 and drove it a lot! I loved the steel bed floor and the removable hood.

The year of vehicle plate here in South Dakota was 10 dollars for a permanent registration. Not supposed to drive for anything but pleasure or maintenance. They have to approve the number and condition and two are required, front and rear. We had a plate guru dealer who just lived down the road 15 miles that had anything was needed for car guys. He died suddenly earlier this year and I don't know the fate of his inventory. He was single but his Mom was still alive so I assume she has it now. I think the plates on my '55 came from him. My truck is the first vehicle they were ever registered for and mounted on. New old stock I guess. They are better lookin' than the truck! Truck plates were smaller than car plates in 1955 here.

DAC

55 plates 019.jpg

Neat story. Your right, 5 is Codington county. I couldn't enlarge it enough to read it in the small photo.

Our plates here in michigan when they were changed ever year had WA to WZ for the counties that I know of but there are 83 counties in Michigan so there had to be other combanitions too.
But in the Lower(troll land they were WA thru WZ.

Then they went to a little metal tab in the corners and today and I know since 1985 they have thre peel and stick with the month that is color coded for the year also.

This historcal plate is older than ours is. Ours is white.
Any way this one will expire April (left lower corner) 2025 sticker lower right corner.

I think plates are interesting some what. I call the out of state plated cars/trucks forgien :).

I don't Very often take the pictures of the cars and trucks rear.
I just liked the turbo coup signage on the back of this one. At least you got an idea why you got dusted at the light by a car that normally barely got out of its own way.

Here is the whle car.

So my most favorite shows for 2018 were first Port Huron Mi. they only give out 3 awards.
It had 440 cars and trucks regustered this past season I would guess half were from Canada as it is just a short drive over the blue water bridge to the states and they have a easy pass card where Americans need a pass port or a special drivers licence that cost a good bit every time you renew.

Second was back to the bricks 2018, no awards given at this show. Buicks are on water street mostly, all others are on Saginaw street with parking lots set aside for the Model A & T era cars. Another lot set aside for thr gassers and drag raceing cars, and wild customs.
over 600 cars and trucks on Saginaw st and special lots another 180 Buicks on water street.

Third is St. Johns mi mint fest about 275 to 300 cars/trucks there. they give out 20 some awards by class 1st and 2nd place. People are always friendly and they have some really nice door prizes.

Forth is Rease Michigan. this year due to rain the turn out was down to about 75 cars/trucks normaly over 250 attend.
They do top 25 and best of show it is judged bt judges. they also give out some nice door prizes.
Every thing else goes to Make a wish.

Fifth would have been the Otis Wilson meroial show Midland Michigan but they spoiled it. Judged by college students in the autmotive program.
only award top 25 and a special award for Otises family.
This year they spoiuled it when a 2018 Corvette with Dealer plates and plastic covered seats got a top 25 award.
Still dealer owned and I think fresh off the truck.
So Fifth gots to Ithaca Michigan.

Ithaca gives out door prizes all donated by the towns bussiness. they also have a drawing for 6 vetrans prized also donated but the towns people and instead of top so many or best of show they draw numbers from a big pail. prizes wer like a big screen TV, floor Jacks, Cupons for a free set of tires from a chain and so forth.
I got $50.00 for being one of th 6 vets drawn and another 50.00 as a door prize donated by a funiture store.

Neat story. Your right, 5 is Codington county. I couldn't enlarge it enough to read it in the small photo.

Thanks Chris. You can click on those smaller pics I post and it will show bigger, even full screen. I think one of the admins of the site said using the thumbnail pics in the post saves them bandwidth cost. That's why I post with the thumbnail photos.

DAC

Hearing aids are not always the answer they are made up to be. Some situations your better off without them or turned off.

Some Water street Back to the Bricks. We were told to get there early. I believe we were the 9th one there. We were told to park in front of GM factory # 1 but about an hour later they had Us and Bobby Jones move down one slot as they wanted to park some older cars in thre first slots.

This old Buick truck was one of the special old ones.

This 41 Buick with a straight 8 was another one. I enjoyed talking to this fellow, bought the car while in college, dated his wife with it and raised 4 kids. Has restored it 4 times since he has owned it. said was the only car they owned till 1956.

GM factory # 1 is real neat inside, had engines on display from the very first 4 cylinders up to todays super charged V 6 that was used On the last Riverias. they made coffee for us and had small breakfast things ready by 5:00 AM.

We were parked by the head enginner of ther GSX project. He filled me in on just how many were made every year and how many were yellow and how many wre green.
Not many green ones made and didn't know if any still live.

Several GS after that GSX, this fellow told me he does only 3 shows a year. and after the end of summer show in Durant he was going to do a off frame restore since it needed new fuel lines and brake lines.

Another GS

And another GS.

Fellows wife drove this Century in he drove a Regetta.

This Reatta owner wanted to park near his GS owner friend.

This Riviera a Silver Arrow was from Iowa> I may have laid hands on it as they came to our shop for the special 50th Annveresy upgrades. Like this script.

All the Grand Nationals were parked together.

While the GN's are nice cars I would rather have this Regal T type that parked with his GN friend. It isn't all black.

Interesting Buick displays and history! My Dad and his second wife both worked at the Flint Buick plant and retired from there. She was vested in GM retirement but Dad didn't work there long enough. 6 or 7 years if I remember right. He was a plant electrician.

DAC

Back