MF 1450

"Fired the engine and it ran better too. No misfires, but at full throttle it was hunting a bit. Putting the engine under some load may cure that. "

Hey Doug the hunting is mostly cause by a slight lean mixture turn the main jet out (CCW) 1/* turn and see what it does if better try again until its to rich then back to 1/2 way from the start

One of these Chris. ? I’ve had this one on this tractor for 16 years. Seems to work good.

I have one of those vibration tachs too.

Noel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 8
Interesting Noel so that vib one woks good, I've heard of them never seen one though, the digital one is old so it works I've read that the Tiny Tach will work also but the cheap China ones don't (on Kohlers) I have some on B&S and Tecumseh and they work good

I have a tiny tach on my mini bike project. It works well on the predator clone. I like using it since I am trying to keep the rpm under 5000 to protect the flywheel until my new one shows up.

I've used it on tecumseh, briggs and predator clones with good success. Never tried it on one of the cubs.

One of these Chris. ? I’ve had this one on this tractor for 16 years. Seems to work good.
If it's a tiny tach your going to be OK. If its one of the ChiCom versions you have my sympathy.
The Vibration Tachometers can be extremely accurate. The first one I saw many years ago was in my brother in-laws chain saw shop. I was very doubtful about them. After seeing them in action I became a believer. The nice thing about them is no batteries to go dead and no electronics to fail, ever. :).

Lol, ok Doug, how is your sense of touch? You can also feel the oil slosh around, kind of like shaking a can or a bottle of Yoohoo. If your wires are long enough and you have a empty spot on frame, it would help to relocate it. Like I said before, heat and vibration shorten the oil filled coils life. On a good note, sounds like your condenser is good.
Moving the coil sounds like a good idea, Jake and I think it would be better if it was vertical anyway. Can always lengthen the wires.

Hi Doug if your going to get a tach SP leadthey don't work on Kohlers to much EMF from the coil & condenser , I use the laser type they work good on all engine Digital Tachometer Non Contact Laser Photo RPM Tach Meter Motor Speed Gauge New | eBay
Wow! They are cheap too Gary! Got one coming!

Thanks again!

DAC

Vibra Tach was all I ever knew of but we didn't need one way back then. Always been able to get pretty close by ear. Yeah engines are loud enough for me to hear, Jake---LOL! Too many years around race cars with no hearing protection has probably done most of the damage to my hearing.

Never knew, but should have known that digital ones must be out there nowadays!

Won't be much to report for a week as I go on call at work tomorrow morning.

DAC

Fairly simple to get tape then. I figured it would be some sort of special tape you’d have to buy and it would cost more than the tach. I don’t have any thing that runs up to 12,000 rpm’s hehe, so I’d be ok.

Noel

So what is used for reflective tape when or if you run out of the tape that comes with the unit. ? I doubt I’ll ever buy one, just curious.

Noel
I've had my first tach or over 10 years and use it all the time and still some tape left from when I bought it, I really don't think the alum tape will work it has to relfect pretty good to work, I bought a pistol grip tach about a year ago I like it but the laser is smaller and weaker than the linked one and it doesn't read if the is bright light shinning on the tape, have not tried a white painted strip

I've got a couple of different types of reflective vinyl here in the shop for making signs. That may work too but what comes with it may last me forever anyway!

Good info guys! Thanks!

DAC

One more night on call and freedom again! Last Saturday while I was at work, got the transaxle fill tube Daniel sent bead blasted so it's ready to paint. Going to need to build a flexible dipstick for it, and the tractor will need some stuff disassembled to screw it in place.
DSCN3120.JPG

The tach and batteries got here today. Tested it by just waving it across the reflective film and it seems to work and calculate.
DSCN3119.JPG

The strips look to be a reflective vinyl like this roll of Scotchlite. It's the reflective film that is used on traffic and highway signs. I'll test it to make sure it works right but it should.
DSCN3118.JPG

Taking a couple days off work but have a bunch of other stuff to do. May not get to play with it again until the weekend.

DAC

One more night on call and freedom again! Last Saturday while I was at work, got the transaxle fill tube Daniel sent bead blasted so it's ready to paint. Going to need to build a flexible dipstick for it, and the tractor will need some stuff disassembled to screw it in place.
View attachment 35243

The tach and batteries got here today. Tested it by just waving it across the reflective film and it seems to work and calculate.
View attachment 35244

The strips look to be a reflective vinyl like this roll of Scotchlite. It's the reflective film that is used on traffic and highway signs. I'll test it to make sure it works right but it should.
View attachment 35245

Taking a couple days off work but have a bunch of other stuff to do. May not get to play with it again until the weekend.

DAC
Hi Doug yep I was using mine yesterday fine tuning the B&S I also have a pistol grip one I like it as its easier to point and read BUT this one isn't very strong in that I had a Halogen shop light on pointed at the carb and it would not read the tape on the front CS pull start pulley turned the light off and it read good the other had no problem with the light on

Back