MF 1450

That's great Doug! Now to work on the drive shaft being you know it all lives!
Yeah that will be the next thing, Daniel! My brother-in-law has a lathe so maybe I can get him to help me lengthen this one. I'm thinking cut it off at both sides of the Lovejoy, adding flanges to both of the splined sections thick enough to make it about 5/8-3/4" longer, then drilling and tapping the coupler and flanges so it can slide in and bolt up. The machinest at work may be able to help on this too.

Thanks for all your help!

DAC

Glad it drives! I think you can still get new splined fittings maybe you can find a longer one.

That’s great that it is going Doug.

Noel
Good deal Doug that's a great felling when things go like they should isn't you on the down hill push now
Congratulations Doug! Looks like you got a runner.
Thank-you guys for all the support during this so far! Not sure if it's a downhill push yet though Gary! All I know right now is that I'm not going to part it out.

DAC

Glad it drives! I think you can still get new splined fittings maybe you can find a longer one.

I did get to google some a bit at lunch during work today, Kenny. Definitely looks like there may be some stuff out there that might be a better deal.

Having other issues when I got home from work and that is in the way right now.

DAC

So, I'm wondering why the tractor was stopped being used ? Was it because of the driveshaft, or the bad seal ?

Noel
Since the carb and gas tank were gone, and the fuel pump was junk, Noel, those all may have been reasons not to fix it back up by previous owners.

Just like my old trucks, I wish tractors could tell their history too!

DAC

Anyone know a source for small sections of splined shaft? I need a piece at least 6-1/2" long but I can cut anything a little longer. 3/4" shaft, 11 splines. I want it splined the whole 6-1/4 actual length I need.

I can probably use the couplers I have, just cut them off the lovejoy. Stuff I saw online was at least 65 bucks and higher + shipping but no length given. Then there was 3 foot sticks at several hundred dollars.

DAC

The machinist will be tinkering with that driveshaft when he gets time here and there for awhile. He sneaks in a little stuff during his breaks and lunches. I'll make it right with him one way or another.

Got a couple hours in on it today. Mounted the fender pan. There was a lot of tweaking to do. Then I adjusted the steering box. Definitely improved the slop in the steering.

I think that this tractor probably fell out of a pickup or off a trailer at one time. That's probably what pancaked the steering wheel and bent that front spindle. Dad to straighten the mounts and running boards for bolt holes to line up on the fender pan. Long as the darn thing gets operational again is what I'm after!

DAC

Back