MF 1450

Reviving this thread. I finally got the '55 GMC where it can go out of the shop. The drivers door window weatherstripping fought me on every screw, nut and bolt. Sure wish it would have went a smooth as the passenger door did. I sprayed weeds most of the morning too. I shoved the 1450 in and proceeded to install that new driveshaft. Not much room for swinging a wrench but eventually it was bolted in. No way to get a ratchet on it.
DSCN3352.JPG DSCN3354.JPG

I guess you can't tell but the shaft is spinning in the second pic. Camera is too fast.
The tractor started great and ran smooth so I climbed on and took it out!
DSCN3355.JPG

I was really shocked about how FAST this thing is in high range! I burned some laps around my abandon go-kart track that felt nearly as fast---LOL!
These pics are on the banking of turns 3 and 4---LOL! Low range will be quite enough for a yard mule though.
DSCN3356.JPG DSCN3357.JPG

The hydraulics work fine and the engine ran great. No noticeable smoke even!

Guess I can proceed with fixing a bent spindle and building a fuel tank mount and dash plate.

DAC

Last edited:
Looking good Doug heck with that much speed you can use it to run to the store for donuts o_O good to hear you got the old GMC sealed up also, we did get some rain here today not near enough but much better than nothing

If it’s rated like my MF 14 Doug , it’s 9 miles per hour is the top speed. That’s movin on a garden tractor. Even your MF 12 is rated at 8.9 miles per hour, fourth gear and number 5 on the variable speed control. Great you got it fixed and out. She’ll soon be done.

Noel

Last edited:
Looking good Doug heck with that much speed you can use it to run to the store for donuts o_O good to hear you got the old GMC sealed up also, we did get some rain here today not near enough but much better than nothing
Thanks, Gary, It's about 8 miles to the nearest donut shop! I guess the manufacturer made such a fast top end for traveling from garden to garden or field to field. No other reason to have that much speed in a GT that I can think of! The next thing on the '55 is door gaskets that go around the whole door. Old ones are still intact but have shrunk and cracked.

If it’s rated like my MF 14 Doug , it’s 9 miles per hour is the top speed. That’s movin on a garden tractor. Even your MF 12 is rated at 8.9 miles per hour, fourth gear and number 5 on the variable speed control. Great you got it fixed and out. She’ll soon be done.

Noel
Tractor Data says 9.6 mph for the 1450. That is scootin' right along, Noel! I don't think I've ever used 4th gear or 5th position either one on the 12G. I mow in 3 with 3rd gear most of the time.

I had to do a little repair on the hydro spool valve today. The "s" link that holds the bottom of the center lift lever fell out while I was playing yesterday. Link was still hanging on the spool valve but it pulled out of the hole in the lever. I don't know how, as I had to take the lever off the valve, swing the s link up and get it in the lever hole, then reinstall the lever to the piston shaft. Think I'm going to pull both front spindles as the arms are bent and the drag link arm has a broken weld. Be good to check the bearings or bushings in the front wheels too. Spent some time tonight looking at cat 0 a-frame ideas. I have no definite plan on that yet.

DAC

Last edited:
Well at those speeds Doug, ya gotta have a good front end.

My traveling speed on my MF 12 about the same Doug. Third and third with third throttle. I’m not mowing. thou.

Noel

Well at those speeds Doug, ya gotta have a good front end.

My traveling speed on my MF 12 about the same Doug. Third and third with third throttle. I’m not mowing. thou.

Noel
3rd, 3rd, full throttle, Noel. Gotta keep them blades spinning fast as possible you know---LOL! Edging along the buildings and the banks of the ditches it is 2nd gear 3rd speed.

DAC

Thanks, Gary, It's about 8 miles to the nearest donut shop! I guess the manufacturer made such a fast top end for traveling from garden to garden or field to field. No other reason to have that much speed in a GT that I can think of! The next thing on the '55 is door gaskets that go around the whole door. Old ones are still intact but have shrunk and cracked.

Tractor Data says 9.6 mph for the 1450. That is scootin' right along, Noel! I don't think I've ever used 4th gear or 5th position either one on the 12G. I mow in 3 with 3rd gear most of the time.

I had to do a little repair on the hydro spool valve today. The "s" link that holds the bottom of the center lift lever fell out while I was playing yesterday. Link was still hanging on the spool valve but it pulled out of the hole in the lever. I don't know how, as I had to take the lever off the valve, swing the s link up and get it in the lever hole, then reinstall the lever to the piston shaft. Think I'm going to pull both front spindles as the arms are bent and the drag link arm has a broken weld. Be good to check the bearings or bushings in the front wheels too. Spent some time tonight looking at cat 0 a-frame ideas. I have no definite plan on that yet.

DAC
Here's a drawing of an A-Frame:

Attachments

• A-frame_3_pt_hitch.pdf
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
Here's a drawing of an A-Frame:
Thanks, Kenny! That's going to be a great help! Think I want a vertical in the center also and put a female hitch receiver in it. Don't think a ball in the sleeve will raise far enough to move my trailer around the yard. Those dimensions are exactly what I needed!

DAC

Last edited:
Hot and humid but got a little tear down done on the front axle tonight after work.

Both spindle arms are bent. The left front spindle is bent, had way too much positive camber. It was toed out some too but I think straightening the arms will be enough that just a little tie rod adjustment will get it into a good range.
DSCN3359.JPG DSCN3361.JPG

The drag link arm is also bent, plus the double back weld is broken and has been for a long time.
DSCN3360.JPG

Best news is the axle and mount are in great shape. Pivot bushing is tight. Thinking maybe drilling the axle for grease zirks might be a good idea, but through all the abuse and pounding this thing has obviously taken they are still tight. There's scars on the right front of it being driven with a bad wheel bearing for quite a while. Wheel bearings all feel good though.
DSCN3362.JPG DSCN3363.JPG

I forgot to pressure wash the darn thing before taking it apart. Gotta try to remember to do that soon as it can drive again!
DSCN3364.JPG

DAC

Strange why they don’t have grease nipples in the axle where the spindles go up into. My MF 14 was the same way. And also strange that a MF 12 has grease nipples every were and the MF 14 hardly has any.
I put grease nipple in the axle on my MF 14. Two in each side. I wanted to make sure the top and bottom were getting grease.

Noel

Attachments

• 163A711A-39F9-4304-8E9E-8A7CBD77C7EC.jpeg
    163A711A-39F9-4304-8E9E-8A7CBD77C7EC.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 3B359F1D-4E70-4F90-A28B-3EC4EAC2CDB4.jpeg
    3B359F1D-4E70-4F90-A28B-3EC4EAC2CDB4.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 7
  • E1047227-3161-4199-8A3E-C5A39DDA77AB.jpeg
    E1047227-3161-4199-8A3E-C5A39DDA77AB.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 7
  • FF9412D9-0D6F-42AA-ADB5-961C6D8F2004.jpeg
    FF9412D9-0D6F-42AA-ADB5-961C6D8F2004.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 9F6D5BCD-552F-4447-9E85-C76F0B660957.jpeg
    9F6D5BCD-552F-4447-9E85-C76F0B660957.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 7
Strange why they don’t have grease nipples in the axle where the spindles go up into. My MF 14 was the same way. And also strange that a MF 12 has grease nipples every were and the MF 14 hardly has any.
I put grease nipple in the axle on my MF 14. Two in each side. I wanted to make sure the top and bottom were getting grease.

Noel
Looks good, Noel! I think one on the center of each side will work on this tractor. There is a "void" between the upper and lower bushings. Filling that with grease should squeeze it up and down into the bushings all the way around it. No seals so I can pump until I see it oozing out. Providing I will be able to buy that much grease with this "shortage"---LOL!

DAC

I just wanted to make sure Doug. Cause sometimes you see it coming out one end and not the other., so I’m making sure both, top and bottom are getting grease.

Noel
Thanks for the pictures, Noel! I'm sure that you have the bases covered with that grease zirk arrangement.

DAC

Got some time after work to clean the spindles up and look them over. There's definitely been bad wheel bearings on them. Pretty deep scars on the right front. Minimal on the LF.

I think you should be able to tell that the one on the left (left front) has a wider angle than the right. I need to heat the elbow up on that one and get it like the other one.
DSCN3385.JPG

The arms are bent on both, will try to figure out how they should be reshaped.
DSCN3387.JPG

Looks like the wheel bolt probably got broke off the left front and someone did a pretty poor job drilling it out to the next bigger size.
DSCN3386.JPG

The pitman drag link arm needs a lot of straightening and some welding.
DSCN3388.JPG DSCN3389.JPG

Somehow, the tie rod is straight and the ball ends are in good shape!
DSCN3390.JPG

It dawned on me Noel, that my MF12G does not have zirks in the axle to lube the front spindles either! It is a 1975 so they were cheaping out by then I suppose. Looks like it may have to get that treatment too sometime!

DAC

I was able to get some time this afternoon on the 1450. Fired up the torch and straightened the spindles and pitman arm best I could without turning it into a career. Welded the broken double shear bracket on the pitman arm too. Squirted some paint on those parts mainly because I burned the original paint off. They had been welded and beat on before. Cleaned the bushings in the axle and installed zirks. I'm going to pull off the drag link too and straighten it when I start assembly, hopefully tomorrow after work.

DAC

DSCN3391.JPG DSCN3392.JPG

Are you gunna paint the whole tractor Doug. ?

Noel
Right now, no. No plans for a full paint job, Noel. I'm still trying to figure out how it will be used around here.

Looking good Doug I ;ile your use of good jack stands
Well, they are HF stands that may have been in that recall they have going so maybe they aren't that good, Gary---LOL! I've been using them a long time and need them all the time. So far I'm still alive! I never checked to see if they are some of the defective ones.

DAC

Back