MF 1450

Actually made pretty good gains on that dash tonight! I shoved the A/C under the door when I got home from work, and drilled holes for the amp gauge, front pto clutch and ignition switch. Put what's left of the plastic dash over the aluminum one and figured the amp gauge position is fine. Drilled it with a hole saw. Didn't like where the switches were so just drilled them where I wanted.
DSCN3422.JPG DSCN3423.JPG

Removed the aluminum dash and hit it with 160 paper in the electric D/A sander.
DSCN3424.JPG DSCN3425.JPG

Cleaned it with brake cleaner then gave it a coat of Dupli-Color self etching primer.
DSCN3426.JPG

Let that dry a few minutes and sprayed it Krylon Satin Black.
DSCN3427.JPG

Maybe I will get it put on the tractor tomorrow night after work.

DAC

Thanks, Noel! Got the dash stuck back on the tractor after I made some stickers for the ignition switch and the throttle. Not sure about the electric pto switch yet. The choke pull may get moved to the dash at some time too. Existing cable is too short.

DAC

DSCN3428.JPG DSCN3431.JPG

Dash looks great Doug with paint and decals
So how are you making the decals ?

Thanks,Kenny!

Looks great. Where are you putting the light switch.

Noel
Not going to have lights, Noel. The headlight brackets are gone, and tail light bezels are busted up. If it's dark out, I'm in the shop or the house anyway---LOL!

DAC
Which plastic parts you searching for?
And that dash came out very nice!
Thanks! The dash was one of them, Daniel. The driveshaft covers over the center in front of the seat and the cover over the spool valves were both long-gone when I got this thing. Figured I'd try to build them out of aluminum plate too when the time comes. There is a cover missing over the rear pto pulleys too but don't know what it may have looked like or what it's made out of.

The looks great! I assume the original was plastic. So many of those baked up up fell apart on tractors I've had. Metal dashes were key.
I appreciate that Aaron! The remains of the dash was real flimsy plastic, and I assume the other covers were also. They are black like the dash in pictures I've seen.

Dash looks great Doug with paint and decals
So how are you making the decals ?
Thank-you Gary! I have a couple of computer aided sign vinyl cutters. I was in that business full time for around 30 years.
new cutter9.JPG

I did get a bit of a start trying to do a more permanent job on the wiring. Probably a hack job but I think the safety switches are all going to be non existent. None of them move when I try to actuate them by hand. The 20 amp self-resetting breaker was broken permanently too so I'm just going to install a 20A spade fuse. Can I assume that the front pto clutch switch can just be a 2 position off-on toggle switch? The one that was on the tractor, not even sure that is what it was for, is a 3 position switch. That wiring was completely gone. The amp gauge shows continuity with an ohm meter, so I'm hoping it will work too.

Thanks in advance for any input on these questions!

DAC

Yes that’s all you need Doug. Be a good snow Plow tractor. You might need lights if you ever do that with it.

Noel
Thanks, Noel! I don't have a plow specifically for a 1450, but I have been looking at the blade from the MF12G. I think it could be doable using the hydraulic lift! The guide bolted to the front is a problem due to how the hood opens. Thinking about mounting the grill to the frame and making the hood open like on the 12G. I could mount a weigh box on the front then and use the 3 point to lift loads. Don't really like the whole hood and grill lifting off the chassis that much.

I do have headlights on the MF8E which I plow snow with now but like I said before it all can wait until daylight! Not a night time plowing person at all! It's colder at night and days can be cold enough!

I got the electrical done from the positive battery cable to the ignition switch tonight. Built a shorter + battery cable from a cable from a scrapped jump start unit. Watering trees now though so done working on it for tonight.

DAC

I hear ya Doug, But depends on the weather for me. Some cold nights with out ANY wind can be reasonable. Lots of dark time snow removal for me over the years. Just the way it goes.

Noel
Good point, Noel, for the most part, wind drops around here at night too. Still isn't a good enough reason for me to go plow when I'm supposed to be sleeping---LOL! That's why we have AWD or 4x4 vehicles to get to work in the winter. Can normally get out anyway. Our driveway can be the easiest part of that drive.
I can't believe I'm talking about the "S" word when it's still summer---LOL!

DAC

Wiring project is done for now. I might order more of that conduit and cover a bit more but it should be ok. Clutch works and I tested the ignitions switch with ether. It started and ran without the fuel tank on it. Cut another sticker for the electric clutch on the front pto. Don't know if it will ever be used but it is available at least. Finished the new battery cables too.

Next will be mount the fuel tank from the MF12G and build a battery hold down.

DAC

DSCN3433.JPG DSCN3434.JPG DSCN3435.JPG

DSCN3436.JPG DSCN3437.JPG

Kinda like my Case 224 Doug. Hope I can get the hydrualic pump problem fixed so I can drive it.

Noel
I didn't know you may try to salvage it, Noel! I thought it was done for hydraulic-wise since the pump was chewed up! I sure hope you will be able to salvage the tractor after all!

DAC

Back