MF 1450

The MF1450 is sitting back on the ground. It looks to have a little bit of toe out yet but I adjusted the tie rod out far as it would go. I may have to build another one. It looks to be a quarter inch or so is all. Much better than the 2+ inches it was before. Camber on the LF is much better too. Greased the spindles and wheel bearings until I could be sure everything got some.
The curve of the camera lens makes it look like it's a foot or so toed out though---LOL!
DSCN3396.JPG

I removed several brackets that seemed to be haphazardly bolted to the frame. a couple are bent and a couple appear to be broken off. No clue what they may have been for. Look to possibly be MF parts though.
DSCN3394.JPG

I was informed today when I went to Harbor Freight that not only is there possibly a grease shortage, you must also present an ID to buy it. Apparently dopers have figured out how to make Meth out of grease! WTF is wrong with people? They had plenty of grease on hand though. I bought a couple tubes. I bought some wire so I can attempt to fix some of the electrical, and a filter for my shop-vac too.
DSCN3395.JPG

Too hot to open the overhead door and take it for another joy ride though. Next up will be a dash panel and steering column support, along with mounting the old MF12G fuel tank on it.

DAC

Didn't have any time to work on it much today. We were out of town for part of the day again returning the live trap to my cousin and when we got back into town we had some business at the bank and then went out to Fleetfarm. Went ahead an bought a seat while we were there. Going to have to do a little welding on the seat mount to get some bolt holes on the front bolts then the cross piece that the seat "springs" ride against will need to be welded on too.

DAC

DSCN3397.JPG DSCN3399.JPG

Even though I couldn't get on yesterday, I did get a little bit of time to mount that new seat. Was able to drill a couple new holes in the straps and then weld the cross piece in. It was hot so it was time to drag out the a/c and slide it under the overhead door. Took the pic today so it is just sitting there.
DSCN3403.JPG

Seat is back on the tractor, but those sliders ate stuck tight. Someone mushroomed the ends of the rails beating them back and forth. Hope I can get them freed up. That's what I was going to work on today, but after 12 hours at work in 102F heat, nope, not today.
DSCN3404.JPG DSCN3405.JPG

Forgot to take a pic with the seat down. Maybe tomorrow.

DAC

Have to be the most nastiest words. On Call !!!!!! Jumpins.

Noel
Yeah, Noel, the paycheck will be great, but not sure if it's worth it. At least my on call I don't have to deal with people for the most part. Only upside of it. I imagine you had to deal with customers and that would multiply the stress level a lot!

DAC

I hated the part of my last position at the mine and we were basically always on call. If any of the 5 local mines had a major failure we were called. Lucky for me 6 of the 8 on our crew loved extra shifts so me and the other guy usually never had to go out on them. They typically only wanted 4 since that's all they could fit in the truck

Nasty. Just nasty. I feel for you Doug. Jumpins how many times I had to go out at night. After getting to bed. Then get home, into bed , then out again. Then work the next day. Ya. I could go on and on. Extra money. Ya maybe, if there was any left after the government took all their part. Not worth it. Seems I’m on a rant. So good nite, before I say more about being “ on call “.

Noel

It was hot as can be today but got some work done in the shop on the 1450. Built a crude dash out of 1/8" aluminum plate. Some old signs that were thrown in the scrap at work a few years ago. The brackets for the old dash are tweaked and trying to mount it real square and symmetrical was more than my patience could take. I ended mounting it where the steering column had no pressure on it as this will also be the main support for the upper part of it. Thought about aluminum brazing but it's too dang hot. Never done it before but I did buy some rod a while back to give it a try. Used steel pop rivets. I was able to keep the shop just under 80* at least when the high was 102*F. Had the old a/c unit slid under the overhead door.
8-8-21-2.JPG

Built a cardboard template from what was left of the plastic dash.
Cut the cardboard to the size of the aluminum plate first.
DSCN3413.JPG

Laid the cardboard on the plate, marked it out. Drilled the steering column hole and cut the slot for the throttle lever first. Bent it up in the 2' break.
Waiting on a set of six drill bits, 9/16"-1" to get here that I ordered yesterday to drill switch holes and have what is needed to build an A-frame for the 3-point. I have a hole saw that will work for the amp gauge.
DSCN3411.JPG DSCN3412.JPG DSCN3414.JPG

DSCN3415.JPG

I do plan on sanding the finished dash, spraying some etch primer on it and giving it a couple coats of satin black just to help hide some of the crudity---LOL!

DAC

Gunna look alright Doug.

Noel.
You put some paint on it and it'll look good for the most part most will not know
Thanks, guys, didn't get time today for tractor work and now my fun is over---back to the job tomorrow---LOL! After running around in town most of the day, since it was really nice outside, I cleaned our BBQ grill when we got home. It has been going out after it heats up. Found two cracked burner tubes. By the time I found some to order I gave up on working on the tractor.

I did do a search for those plastic parts that are missing with no luck at all. Bet they are way out of my budget if I did find some!

DAC

CAD-Cardboard Aided Design. Can't beat the old school way of doing it.

jhn9840
John
That is a quote I'm going to use, John! Good one---LOL! Quite a few years ago my Brother-In-Law got a big old lathe fron the company he was part owner of. Company was going to scrap it so he gave them scrap price. When he set it up in his shop I told him it was a CNC lathe---See, Not Computerized! Got some good laughs over that since the beer was flowing too---LOL!

DAC

Last edited:
Back