MF 1450

Good idea on the pin. Maybe if you took the top link out and the right lift arm would that help get in there. And maybe use and extension on the drill bit.
The regulator body should have a good ground too Doug. Check that.

Noel

Took the rectifier out and cleaned up the contacts and the mounting areas. There is no ground wire to either bolt, but I'm guessing that this grounded through the bolts and rectifier body? It was too hot yesterday after work to start it and test the AC voltage, and it was too damm cold after work today---LOL!

Instead of drilling that to bypass the float, I think the MF8E will get the yard cart duties as it was before the 1450 came along. The 12G can do it too. I would imagine anything else that will be hooked to it will keep enough weight on the 3 point to keep it from flipping up!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

DAC

Didn't get to work on any tractors after work tonight. I borrowed the measuring wheel from work and measured our acre property lines, driveway and a couple other areas, and met with a gravel hauler with a 6 axle 20 ton dump truck. In a couple weeks he's going to haul in around 30 tons we figured roughly to put fresh on the existing gravel, and add gravel over grassed areas I want covered. The hauling will be the cheap part. I haven't gotten a price on the materials yet. pretty scared to find out! My poor little tractors, especially the MF8E, may not survive spreading it! Going to try to get an attachment made for the 1450's 3 point that will help with this chore, for leveling and smoothing. Will want that to "float" so no sense thinking about locking the float out of the 3 point at this time.

DAC

My favorite rig for levelling gravel was these two 5' sections of spring harrows attached to a 10' length of 3" pipe... this works very well, easy to pull and I could drive alot faster than with any blade. Diamond harrows work well also but these sprine tines can also be used to aerate the grass.

103.JPG

Most garden tractors have some sort of float built into there hitches I think Doug. My Fords have a slot in the lift arm from the cylinder to the sleeve hitch or tiller. You should be able to make a bracket to take the float out. Just my take on it.

The picture of the 3 point is of a MF 14. I circled the built in float part on those tractors Doug. I don’t know where it is on your tractor.

My John Deere snow thrower has a slot in it where the hydraulic cylinder, for lift and lowering, hooks to it. Even thou the tractor hydraulic lever has a float position.

If the rectifier is a three terminal, the middle wire is B. You do a continuity test from the B wire, with it off the rectifier, to the positive post on the battery with the key in the run position. You should have continuity. If not, you have a bad connection somewhere. And it will not charge. Stator check is take the other two wires, which come from the stator, hook up the meter to those two wires and set meter to AC volts. Run engine at full throttle and you should have 28 or more AC volts. If not, there’s trouble with the stator or those two wires. Hope fully I explained that right.

Noel.

Did these tests after work tonight, Noel. There was continuity on the "B" wire, and the stator is putting out 38 volts ac at full throttle. Amp gauge showing about 4 amp discharge though. The connector itself could be the issue. It didn't feel like a good connection plugging into the rectifier and one of the stator wires tries to push out of the connector. Thought there was another issue as it sounded like the starter drive was kicking in when the switch was moved to "run". Finally saw that the front pto switch was on. Turning it off didn't affect the charging test since I saw that before the test. The noise was gone at least---LOL! I may order a new rectifier and amp gauge, and go to individual spade connectors on the wires.

DAC

My favorite rig for levelling gravel was these two 5' sections of spring harrows attached to a 10' length of 3" pipe... this works very well, easy to pull and I could drive alot faster than with any blade. Diamond harrows work well also but these sprine tines can also be used to aerate the grass.

View attachment 43060
I appreciate the info, Lance! That's a good looking setup! It might be a pretty small chance of finding small spring harrows out here but we do have a possibility. My wife has an aunt with a large ranch. There is a lot of junk laying around there and we have helped her son move some of the junk and even hauled a bit home. Seems like I remember seeing something like that there.

DAC

I got a couple hours in the shop today, and built a sleeve hitch attachment. It will stick in the female receiver to adapt those type of attachments.

Started with one of these $11 HF clevis hitches.
DSCN3690.JPG

cut those tabs off and ground the surface flat. Will be able to use the tabs on the implement hitch.
DSCN3732.JPG

Notched the hitch and welded nuts for stops, then welded an old 270 GMC wrist pin to to the face of it for a pin.
DSCN3731.JPG

I forgot to take a pic while welding on the wrist pin but here's after I squirted some paint on it. It's still outside since it was hot when I painted it.
DSCN3733.JPG

Might break those nuts right off, but for what I'm doing they may hold up! Need to go buy a few 5/8" bolts for the stops. Have plenty of nuts for jam nuts.

This old grate will be what gets a hitch welded to it. As you can see, it has been used as a drag. Have used it in the driveway and even on the old go-kart track for many years. It's darn heavy!
DSCN3734.JPG

Didn't get to work on the charging issue yet.

DAC

Didn't get to work on any tractors after work tonight. I borrowed the measuring wheel from work and measured our acre property lines, driveway and a couple other areas, and met with a gravel hauler with a 6 axle 20 ton dump truck. In a couple weeks he's going to haul in around 30 tons we figured roughly to put fresh on the existing gravel, and add gravel over grassed areas I want covered. The hauling will be the cheap part. I haven't gotten a price on the materials yet. pretty scared to find out! My poor little tractors, especially the MF8E, may not survive spreading it! Going to try to get an attachment made for the 1450's 3 point that will help with this chore, for leveling and smoothing. Will want that to "float" so no sense thinking about locking the float out of the 3 point at this time.

DAC
Be sure to put the mat down over the grass before you add the rock. Grass will grow right up through the rock.

An old bed spring work's well for levling out about anything, especially a new lawn. Cheep, pulls easy and covers a good size area.
Don't know where I can find one quick right now but it would work great I bet!

Be sure to put the mat down over the grass before you add the rock. Grass will grow right up through the rock.
I may have to fight it with roundup like the rest of the gravel. Going to get 2 15 ton piles here on Friday afternoon, and a neighbor with a bobcat will be spreading Saturday.

Thanks for the advice, Roger!

DAC

Was able to get argon this afternoon, and since some of the pieces were already cut last night, I got the grate mount welded up and installed on the 3 point.
DSCN3737.JPG DSCN3738.JPG DSCN3739.JPG

DSCN3740.JPG DSCN3741.JPG
I need to adjust those stop bolts yet, but it seems like it will be good to level gravel Saturday!
Also want to mount that ammo box on it somewhere for some tools.

When I ran the tractor, to see how it lifts, I checked running battery voltage. It seems fine to me so maybe messing around with those connections helped! At idle voltage was 13.4 volts and full throttle was 16.4 V. Is that a too big or reasonable voltage swing?

DAC

Back