MF 1450

The tractor has me confused about the charging now. I ran it off and on for about 3-1/2 hours, started great every time. Probably about 2-1/2 total running hours. When the rain came and I got it in the shop, left it running and tuned on the carb a bit, then checked the charging voltage running. It was only 9.5 volts, no matter what RPM it was at. Digusted, I shut it off and the battery voltage was a little low at 12.2 volts. Didn't drain the battery at least. The engine likes to mark it's territory after shutting it off too. Probably needs re-sealed at least. If i can get it washed one of these days, maybe that will show where it's coming from.

DAC

Thanks Noel, think I may do away with that 3 prong connector at the rectifier and use spades. It doesn't feel like it "clicks" into place right. Worth a try I guess.

I am very surprised the hydro unit has no leaks anywhere! Dry as can be at all the seals and gaskets I can see and no drips on the concrete.

DAC

Is there any way to lock it when downward pressure is needed, Jason? I'm thinking that they just assume there will be enough weight on whatever implement being used. Probably wouldn't have traction anyway if it could be locked.

Got any ideas on the charging problem? Rectifier, maybe?

DAC
My 990 and the 1855 have a slotted plate where the arms travel a good two inches to cause floating before they activate either way up or down. That’s nice to have except when you want down pressure. I have searched and many have this problem but no cure. I don’t know how yours is designed but on mine I was thinking of putting a short bolt with a 3/8” long spacer in that slot on the down end of the slot. This would cause the arm to hit the down position sooner. Hope this makes some sense.

Finally not on call at work for about 9 weeks again now! Had to catch up on a few emails, then I got to take a look at the tractor again. It was too hot outside to open the overhead door so didn't try to start it right now so I simulated the 3 point lift with a floor jack.

Lowered all the way down.
View attachment 42972 View attachment 42973

Jacked it up to 10" of lift at the pins.
View attachment 42974 View attachment 42975 View attachment 42977

Can't really see a way to lock out the float. I guess will just have to make sure there's more tongue weight on a trailer I may be using. I can just use one of the other tractors for yard cart use when the weight will be on the back of the cart.

Going to pull the rectifier out and clean the contacts and inspect it better, then do the charging test Noel posted.
View attachment 42978 View attachment 42979 View attachment 42980

Then I couldn't help myself making a crude mock up of a boom that Jason had talked about in his thread.
View attachment 42982

Thinking about too much at once. Story of my life. Oh well one of these things will get done soon---LOL!

DAC
I have that problem big time of too much unfinished projects. I cut up a piece of bar stock the other day and thought I didn’t know I had a piece that size already chamfered on both ends. After I cut what I needed off of it I realized it was cut for another project.

I cut some pieces of 1/4" plate to fill those slots on the mtd setup

on the 960 with manual lift you can lock the 3pt in several positions/heights with approx 1.5" increments at the drawbar, since I use the tractor mostly for pulling trailers I dont need the float feature... if/when I use the cultivator or other rear attachments I take those blocks out.

003.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
I cut some pieces of 1/4" plate to fill those slots on the mtd setup

on the 960 with manual lift you can lock the 3pt in several positions/heights with approx 1.5" increments at the drawbar, since I use the tractor mostly for pulling trailers I dont need the float feature... if/when I use the cultivator or other rear attachments I take those blocks out.

View attachment 43341View attachment 43342
If you read back a ways in this thread, you can see my setup is more of a swivel to float rather than a slot. BUT you have ne thinking that something similar could be done in the slot between the double lever of the swivel!

Thanks Lance!

DAC

I forgot to post yesterday about the leveling grate for the 3 point. It is heavy enough that it was nosing into the gravel too much so locking out the float would have made it worse. After messing around for 15 minutes, I remembered the new homemade top link was adjustable. Pulled it into the shop to be out of the rain and lengthened the link about an inch. Made a big difference. I could lower it where the back half of the grate was dragging and the front edges would stay a couple inches off the gravel.

I was going to use it today to move the trailer in front of the shop but even showing 12.3 volts in the battery, it would barely crank then the solenoid clicks started. Put the charger on it and used one of the trucks to move the trailer.

DAC

May sure you battery connections are good, especially the ground.

I fired it up this afternoon to take the grate out back out of the way. It was running like crap and wanted full choke. Got the grate unhooked and made it back in the shop. After messing with the carb adjustments nothing helped. Finally figured it out. For some dementia reason I only opened the fuel shutoff about one turn. The shut off is the one that came on the MF12G tank I put on this tractor. It takes several turns to be full flow! Since it was running decent again, I checked the voltages and all were ok. 13.3 at idle and 16.5 revved up. I will clean the ground cable from engine to chassis, and probably will order a rectifier too. Amp gauge still shows a 4 amp discharge even when the volt meter has good numbers at the battery.

Wife is still sick so had to do a bunch of other stuff today. Back to work tomorrow, dang it! Time off was at least fairly productive.

DAC

Y'all may have seen that I got some use out of the tractor yesterday then I had to push it into the shop by hand today, LOL!

Didn't get to work on it yet, but I was hoping to get this hard-to-find spool valve cover Daniel sent me last week, cleaned up by now. Didn't happen yet, unfortunately.

I'm going to have to build a different lever for the center lift before it can be installed, but hopefully soon!

A big thank-you, Daniel! I sure appreciate it!

Dang! I forgot to hit "post reply" yesterday, but it is still here today!

DAC

DSCN3820.JPG

Back