MF 1450

Yeah it is glass beads in the cabinet blaster at work. I'll take it with me and do it during lunch tomorrow! I'll have to fix a glove on it though, some moron pushed one out of it's retainer, I saw today. Then they just leave it for the next guy to fix. Seems like I'm always the "next guy" too. It's a pain to put them back into the retainer since the parts guy bought the wrong ones and refuses to believe it.

Well Noel, I only live 1.7 miles away and I have connections---LOL! A couple of the guys will keep me posted on what goes in the dumpster, providing they stay longer than me! I'll take them donuts for coffee break now and then!

DAC

Got it bead blasted today. Looks like it may be salvageable after all. There was definitely dimples holding in the old valves. Will have to de-burr those spots. Going to wash it down with carb cleaner real good and blow it off again before assembly. Going to check the diaphragm flanges where the halves bolt together for warpage too. Too cold out in the work bay to even think about working out there tonight.

DAC

DSCN3920.JPG

I could have worked on it in the shop office but I didn't want the stink of the carb cleaner either. I am also too old to have an ex-wife, Rick---LOL!

Was wrapped up with sign stuff and slot car stuff all weekend, and had to go get groceries today too. Wife was sick again yesterday and had to pull a 14-1/2 hour shift today. My job to go to the store then. It was nice enough weather to wash the Denali then when I got back home I fired up the '55 and the '72 to run for awhile, got the engineless 1450 outside and covered, and got the battery out of the "Heep" sitting in the back yard to charge it.

Maybe I can at least put that fuel pump together tomorrow.

DAC

Thanks to you guys responding quickly I got the fuel pump assembled! The gaskets fit and I was still able to stake them in.

I'll start from the beginning today though! The pump body was definitely warped so it had a little straightening with a hammer and punch-gently! Then I used a little flat 1/8" aluminum plate with D/A paper stuck to it to "surface" the halves. The valve half has a raised ring that should not get sanded off so after the straightening it cleaned up well.

DSCN3925.JPG DSCN3926.JPG

DSCN3927.JPG DSCN3929.JPG

Then, got out the old dremel and de-burred the old staked spots so the valves wouldn't be caught on them.
DSCN3930.JPG

Washed everything with carb cleaner and blew it out then the gasket fiasco covered above happened. Thanks again guys! I didn't want to seat those valves in there, then discover the gaskets shouldn't be there. I was pretty sure the valves wouldn't survive being pulled back out if they made them sit to high in the bores. Tried it anyway after talking with you guys and it worked!
DSCN3933.JPG

Got it all assembled and waiting for an engine to bolt it to!
DSCN3935.JPG

And of course, the kit has extra parts---LOL!
DSCN3934.JPG

DAC

Last edited:
Got a few pieces off of the engine tonight after work. Took to blower housing off and then made another attempt at getting that splined hub off of the flywheel. I gave those allen heads some sharp whacks like Roger suggested but still didn't come out with the DeWalt impact. Decided to get out the 1/2" drive breaker bar. I was paranoid about jamming something into the flywheel fins. Then I remembered a tool I dug out of scrap art work that I thought was a flywheel wrench. Never tried it on anything before. If the dang thing is a flywheel wrench it's gotta be for a pretty small flywheel! Won't fit this flywheel. I was able to hook it to 2 fins at least so I gave it a shot. Got the bolts to break loose this way without any damage!
DSCN3946.JPG DSCN3947.JPG DSCN3948.JPG

The hub ad been off of this engine before as there were already hammer marks where I had to whack it back and forth to get it off. Took the flywheel bolt out and stopped for the night.

Trying to keep track of the bolts. I went to my "bottle of bottles". How many of you are anal enough to have that---LOL! I am on so damm many pills that I started keeping pill bottles. Filled that big pretzel bottle with them. Still throw plenty of the pill bottles in the garbage.

The white cardboard trays came from the garbage at work too! They threw hundreds of them away so I grabbed a few.
DSCN3949.JPG DSCN3950.JPG DSCN3951.JPG

Maybe I can get the flywheel off tomorrow night.

DAC

Sure do keep a lot of the med bottles. Have a roll of white labels to use on them. Don't like the plastic baggies as they tear to ease if they catch on something or get a sharp item inside.

My wife is at work so I got to take care of a final Christmas present for her, along with a couple other related chores. She won't be home until around 11pm.

Then I put the new auger belt on the walk behind snow blower and set the height to 3/4".

Got the K321 tipped over to remove the oil pan. Didn't pull the flywheel yet. There is wiggle in the grenade gears.

Now just for info purposes, I did what Noel suggested and did some research. I only ran across 1 independent vendor that said don't remove balance gears , Norman, at "I Save Tractors". Just for the education purposes here is the tech page.

I still plan on eliminating them but I also understand what this article says! I've just never have been a big fan of "more moving parts".
Didn't do any further disassembly.
DSCN3953.JPG DSCN3954.JPG

Got on Epay and ordered a oil pan. It was a few bucks more expensive than a few others I saw, but, the pictures were better.

Is this bolt all that holds the electric clutch on the crank? There's a hole in the center of the bolt head that I didn't get a good look at yet.
DSCN3955.JPG

There is some 2 part putty that has been stuck on both sides of the block where there are pipe plugs. Not sure what that is all about. I know that putty is good stuff, we use it at work a lot. Just don't understand why it's there.
DSCN3956.JPG

Any help is appreciated on those questions and as always all comments are welcome!

Happy Christmas Eve, and Merry Christmas everyone!

DAC

Have a good evening and day tomorrow Doug and mrs Doug.

Any more pictures of the plug and putty area Doug.

Noel

This putty pic is about the same as the other one. The second one it the plug on the outside. Damm it kinda looks like a crack in the block there too! Check that later I guess.
DSCN3959.JPG DSCN3960.JPG

You and your Mrs. and family have wonderful holidays too, Noel! I still didn't get anything done to repay you for last years present.

DAC

Back