MF 1450

I'm hoping for the best and looking forward to the next installment of "As the stomach turns"
Good luck.
HA! A segment from the old "Carol Burnett" show! Dang that was some funny stuff!

Ok Doug. This is what I would do. Now, I’m no expert , but, my experience is most kohlers have a funny noise in them. I have come to accept that that’s the way it is. You’d think they were going to have trouble but they don’t, it seems.
So, don’t get to excited yet, this is what I would, and that’s just me. I might get kicked off the site here for saying this , I would refill with oil and try it again. What ever put the stuff in the oil could just be normal for break in or something is wrong. If some thing is wrong, it’s already no good. Doing a second test is not going to change that much. But after the second run and then check the oil and if it’s the same or it’s better. If it’s better, that’s good. If not, well I might try it one more time. If then it’s no better. It’s come a part time. That’s what I would do Doug. Again that’s just me. Shoot me if you want, hehe. Just my opinion. We all have one. Good luck with it Doug.

Noel
I know I won't ban you from the site---LOL! Like I have the authority to do it anyway! Your opinion is always valuable to me Noel!
Don't think I have a good enough sniper rifle to shoot from Here to PEI anyway---LOL!

I would pull the pan off again and inspect. Running an engine after knowing this is a big risk of more serious damage. It’s a toss up could go either way.
That's my first thought too JIm but before I go through the work of pulling the engine I'm going to try something. Wish I could pull the pan while in the tractor but not enough clearance.

I got pretty beat up in the wind today driving truck so really didn't get anything done after work tonight.

I'm going to try to meet in the middle between Noel and Jim's suggestions. Think I will try pulling the dipstick housing off the block. I don't have a replacement gasket, but maybe I won't need one. I do have some gasket material if needed.
DSCN3883.JPG

Then I'll stick the HF inspection camera in there and look around. It will fit in the oil pan drain hole too. I know there is a way to hook the camera up to a computer via wire, but the wire that came with the camera ain't gonna work. The instructions don't cover that at all. I would like to post the pictures here and get opinions. It would be cool to hook it up to an old laptop I have so the pics could be saved to a SD card.
HF camera.JPG

If I have a little more energy tomorrow night, I'll try to get a start on it.

DAC

they sell adapters to mount the drive shaft to a predator 22hp. But that’s some big bucks now for these motors. I bought one for 500 (now 799) a few years ago and bought the flywheel adapter for a cub cadet
Yeah Aaron, I think those engines are about 900 bucks rather than 800? I would have to just part this tractor out before I could justify spending that kind of money. That adapter is probably big bucks too!

DAC

Those cameras are a neat tool I guess. My son uses them at his work. I’ve never used one and never will have one. May as well look in the spark plug hole too Doug.
Hehe. Carol Burnett, funny stuff. I think the Muppets used that line too.

Noel

Yeah Aaron, I think those engines are about 900 bucks rather than 800? I would have to just part this tractor out before I could justify spending that kind of money. That adapter is probably big bucks too!

DAC

adapter for the cub was 100. I haven’t looked at the motors for awhile. Last I looked they were 799; but I wouldn’t doubt they’ve gone up more.

I agree it’s not worth it. I bought the one I have a few years ago when I had this plan to build the ultimate cub cadet 128. Project just has been on the back burner for a long time now. One day I’ll build it!

I like the camera real well Noel. These pictures don't do any justice to the actual picture on the screen. It's much better than it looks. Didn't take time how to put it to a bigger screen

Dipstick housing gasket looks to have survived, and the camera is ready.
DSCN4233.JPG DSCN4234.JPG

Crank gear
DSCN4235.JPG

Piston, rod and wrist pin
DSCN4240.JPG DSCN4241.JPG

Rear crank bearing
DSCN4242.JPG

Cam gear
DSCN4243.JPG

Fuel pump arm and exhaust cam lobe
DSCN4246.JPG DSCN4247.JPG

Governor gear
DSCN4251.JPG

Not sure what to think yet. I spend much more time looking around, I could have the engine out again. I did look in the oil pan and no chunks of anything, it's very clean, and got a look at part of the front crank bearing too and didn't see anything alarming. No metal turning blue like it had been getting real hot. Didn't take time to look at the top of the piston yet, but like I said, when I did have the plug out, the color was good on it.

She might go back together and add oil for a while since there doesn't look like any bombs about to go off! I'll decide by the weekend, unless you guys talk me out of it.

DAC

IS IT RUNNNING YET?????????????????
Not yet Chris---LOL!!! I tubed a tire when I got home from work tonight! That's about all the time and energy I had left after work.

Probably going to stick that camera in the oil pan drain hole too just because I can. I know it will run, it was running nicely when I decided to dump the break in oil out. Possibly Saturday unless we need to go down to the in-laws.

DAC

Dont know if this will work or not.

A good explanation on break in oil.

Noel
Video worked fine, Noel, thanks for posting it. I understand what he is saying. Yes the friction of rings to cylinder walls is going to remove a lot of metal. The amount of metal in mine looked excessive for a small bore one cylinder engine. His oil looked better and it is a two-cylinder. Hopefully that is all that's going on with this K321!

DAC

Video worked fine, Noel, thanks for posting it. I understand what he is saying. Yes the friction of rings to cylinder walls is going to remove a lot of metal. The amount of metal in mine looked excessive for a small bore one cylinder engine. His oil looked better and it is a two-cylinder. Hopefully that is all that's going on with this K321!

DAC
Hi Doug did you try straining the oil thru a shop rag or good stout paper towels, that;s what I aways did when changing oil in my helicopter gearboxs then used a 10X glass to look at what I had on the towel

No Gary, I was taking my 5 gallon bucket to dump that day so it got disposed of. Kinda reminded me of mixing a black metallic paint though!

Hopefully the water heater drama is over now so I can get thinking about tractors again. Starting to see some green out in the yard!

DAC

Last edited:
Dipstick tube is back on and drain plug back in. May get oil back in it tomorrow night. Don't know when the weather will be good enough to fire it up again though! I love fall around here but spring always sucks!

DAC

Back