MF 1450

Doug, I would suggest doing the main carb adjustments with the air cleaner off, its easier doing it that way. The manuals should give you the idle screw and main screw settings, you just have to match up with the carb you have, Carter/Kohler or Walbro.
Thanks, Jake, that's what I was trying to say above. Leave it off until the tuning is done. Yeah the manuals have that tuning info. Far as carb I.D., I think it's a chinese knock off of a Walbro. Not 100% sure on that one yet. Got adjustments to make on the governor when the spring gets here too, and possibly the throttle cable as well.

DAC

That’s quite an idea Doug, to get the steering wheel fixed up. Your getting closer to start up.

Noel
Neat way to straighten a steering wheel!

Thanks for following along Noel and Kenny, and of course the help along the way. I thought there had to be a way to put the dish back into that steering wheel somehow. Glad the steering wheel is 15". Don't have any smaller rims around here!

Went to Runnings yesterday and bought some 30wt so it has fresh oil for start up. Wish it was nice enough outside to pressure wash under it to see where that oil leak is at. Hope nothing is cracked.

DAC

Thanks, Jake, that's what I was trying to say above. Leave it off until the tuning is done. Yeah the manuals have that tuning info. Far as carb I.D., I think it's a chinese knock off of a Walbro. Not 100% sure on that one yet. Got adjustments to make on the governor when the spring gets here too, and possibly the throttle cable as well.

DAC
Hi Doug the Carb is an aftermarket Carte/Kohler 30 not a Walbro just letting you know make tuning easier using the right specs

Hi Doug the Carb is an aftermarket Carte/Kohler 30 not a Walbro just letting you know make tuning easier using the right specs
Very cool Gary! Thanks again! Using your info I found the settings in the manual and did those adjustments tonight after work!

Got the oil changed tonight also. The old oil was pretty gassy smelling but a magnet didn't find any steel in the oil at least.

DAC

Still no governor spring. I checked the tracking and it seems it has been stuck in St. Peters, MO since last Monday! The reason I ordered from Amazon is that they usually ship fast! Guess that was the wrong move this time! I'll work on hooking up the new ignition switch tomorrow.

DAC

Just grab a spring from the neighbors trampoline. They won't miss one and it will get you going. :oops:
No neighbors on either side of us for now! Wish I was rich, I'd buy both acres and keep it that way too! If anyone out here had trampolines, they would blow half way to Nebraska before I could rob a spring---LOL! Hey wait---I have some truck hood hinge springs out in one of the sheds!

After I sent a message to that seller of the spring on Amazon yesterday evening, poof! It went to St. Louis, then to Edgerton, Kansas, up to Sioux Falls, and is on route to Rapid City all in the last 24 hours! With any luck it may get here Monday.

DAC

Peeled a lot of old tape off wiring and there was melted wires throughout the system. Didn't yank it all out yet but all disconnected.
DSCN3049.JPG DSCN3050.JPG DSCN3051.JPG

DSCN3053.JPG

I think this is a 20 amp self-resetting circuit breaker that is shown in the 1450 wiring diagram, but it crumbled when I tried to loosen the nuts.
DSCN3054.JPG

I went ahead and hooked up the new ignition switch and wiring harness, bypassing any accessories and safety switches. I think only two safety switches are still on it and doubt if either work.
DSCN3052.JPG

Then I couldn't resist. Went ahead and put a battery in it.
DSCN3058.JPG

Pulled the spark plug and grounded it. Turned the key and it cranked along with spark!
Put the plug back in and sprayed a little ether in the carb, and it did fire briefly again!

I'm still a bit paranoid about firing it on gas until I get the governor spring and have it adjusted close. Plus in the near future, I may be able to have the overhead door open for a while so I don't kill myself with CO! Definitely going to do a little bit more permanent job on the wiring, need to get a switch for the front PTO clutch, and maybe a couple of safety switches too---after it looks like it may be a driver.

I better add some atf to the transaxle too before it runs for any length of time. 3/4 of an inch low, maybe more after the system pressures up again. Need to read the manual if it's full running hot like a automotive transmission or not running.

Plenty to do but getting closer!

DAC

Your making progress, curios how is the spring coming US mail or other, I've found the USPS mail tracking to be just terrible at times there has been times when I get and e mail saying the VA has sent my meds when checking the tracking nothing a coule of times I had the meds and the teacking will say its on the way wha, back to your wiring I used yinyl spilt loon a lot and really like it vs trying to tape the wire then just tape the ends and use a zip-ty every 6-8"

Your making progress, curios how is the spring coming US mail or other, I've found the USPS mail tracking to be just terrible at times there has been times when I get and e mail saying the VA has sent my meds when checking the tracking nothing a coule of times I had the meds and the teacking will say its on the way wha, back to your wiring I used yinyl spilt loon a lot and really like it vs trying to tape the wire then just tape the ends and use a zip-ty every 6-8"
It shipped USPS, and todays update says it is now in Rapid City. In this case, I don't think the delay was USPS. I think the seller printed the shipping label last Monday but never got around to shipping it until Friday evening.

The new key switch came with a foot or so of that split vinyl conduit, but obviously that's not enough. I definitely don't intend on taping up all that again, and still need to decide about the safety switches and the breaker that broke!

I think that the hydro pressured up some while I was cranking the engine yesterday. I had to push it out of the way to get the MF8E out to plow snow and there was a puddle of ATF on the floor. There's an obvious seal leak at the hydro input shaft. Hope that one won't be a terribly difficult repair. I'm wondering what the significance of the "RH" and "LH" is on that plate. They are vertical instead of Left hand and right hand!
DSCN3069.JPG DSCN3071.JPG

Since it started leaking, I put the transaxle hi-lo lever into the gears and there was definitely a lot of resistance to roll the tractor. That WIX filter looks like it says 51085. That is the same filter the '04 Jeep takes!
DSCN3079.JPG

About all I got done today.

DAC

Is there metal shavings around the shaft in the 2nd picture?

My aliens gt17 threw the seal out. I was able to cross reference it at a bearing house and get the seal for $5.00 instead of 35 that tractor parts place wanted.

Is there metal shavings around the shaft in the 2nd picture?

My aliens gt17 threw the seal out. I was able to cross reference it at a bearing house and get the seal for $5.00 instead of 35 that tractor parts place wanted.
No shavings Aaron, but there's a piece of what looks like clear cellophane stuck in there. Doesn't seem to have any wobble, trying to move the shaft by hand.

DAC

Back