My Free Stihl Weed Whacker

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
I got this free Stihl FS-36 weed whacker about 3 weeks ago at night on the side of the road not far from my house coming home from work. I was driving and looking around checking my surroundings and all of a sudden I see something on the side of the road with a big white sign so I turned around and sure enough there this was, and being as stupid as I am not already having enough projects I took it. It has been sitting in the back of my truck since I got it so I got it out a few nights ago and got some pictures for everyone, I'm not sure what it would need besides a whacker head and string because I have not even looked it over yet. Although I still have my 6hp 855 Craftsman tractor to work on also this will most likely be a winter project, then sell it next spring but that is if I have a heater in my shed and have the ambition to go out in the freezing cold. See IHCubCadet ain't the only one who can get free stuff, lol.

whacker 1.jpg

whacker 2.jpg

whacker 3.jpg

whacker 4.jpg

whacker 5.jpg

whacker 6.jpg

Hi Everyone,

After a 3 or so month update I finally told my stepdad about the weedwhacker, and he wasn't happy or mad at me for getting it. He says if it doesn't start after the 4th or 5th pull it's not gonna start and work. I wanna prove him wrong on this one so I REALLY started working on it today. I tried starting it with starting fluid and nothing happen about a month ago so today I put some gas in it and it "farted" as they say once and that was it, it would not try to start after that. I took the back cover off, took the screen arrestor off and cleaned it, and took the carburetor off. It has good compression (at least to me) as it kicks back pretty good once you pull the rope, and it has spark. I will clean it up a bit, watch the video more in depth, do more research, and see about some low cost parts, then go from there UNLESS anyone has any suggestions. They would be much appreciated too by the way. I heard that the head for it costs about $22.00 and is this one here...... STIHL Trimer Head FS36 FS40 NOS FS75 KM55 KM56 KM85 KM90 KM110 POLYCUT 5-3 HEAD | eBay. I don't really wanna get too deep in this thing work wise because that will eventually mean I'm gonna have to spend more money on it, and I'm trying to keep costs low on this project because I wanna resell it come spring. Hopefully I can get away with just buying this or the carburetor kit....... Carburetor Repair Rebuild Diaphragm Kit & Primer Bulb For Stihl FS36 FS 36 Carb | eBay. Since a month ago I then watched this specific YouTube video on how to fix it........

My bet would be a crapped up carb. Put straight seafoam in the tank, then pull the rope 10 or so times, and leave it over night. Next morning drain the tank, pull out the plug, then pull the rope till it clears the carb out. Put it back together, add fresh gas, and try again. I have had it work dozens of times.

My bet would be a crapped up carb. Put straight seafoam in the tank, then pull the rope 10 or so times, and leave it over night. Next morning drain the tank, pull out the plug, then pull the rope till it clears the carb out. Put it back together, add fresh gas, and try again. I have had it work dozens of times.

Hmmm thanks for the tip, anything helps. Stupid question here, but you mean the gas tank? Sorry but I'm new to working on weedwhackers, this is my first one. What if I don't have seafoam?

Hi Everybody,

I got a long awaited one year update on the weedwhacker. Well… I do still have it. In the fall of last year I got new fuel lines and put them on, then I put some seafoam in the gas tank like unclewillie recommended. I pulled the rope and it almost started… then that was really it until last week. Also as a side note when I tried starting it last year, I noticed that it had spark. Going back to last week, I decided to get back to it since its spring time. I had my stepdad help me try and start it because he is stronger than I am, and while he was pulling the rope I sprayed some ether (or starting fluid) in the carburetor… And low and behold it ran. Rough, but ran. It ran for about 30 seconds then died. So we know it CAN run. My stepdad says to “put some gas and oil in it then see what it does, and if it doesn’t do anything bye bye”. So thats what I’m gonna do…. put some gas and oil in it, because there was hardly any in the tank then go from there. Today, I went to Wally World and got some 2 cycle oil. Now I just gotta get gas. This is mainly it for now, more to come hopefully soon.….

42364C50-1CF7-4292-9ECB-6D77291B647E.jpeg

DD0B51E6-D807-4E07-AC85-AC85650F83DE.jpeg

Back