My new 1943 South Bend 9c lathe

If you have your tool box close to next to your lathe you will have metal chips in the tool box, and in your fingers when you grab a wrench, etc. from the tool box. I think the Husky Box is made by the same company that build them for a lot of other stores including HF. Most of those are made by Waterloo Tool company. Good boxes. Have had mine in use almost daily for about 10 years now.

Hmm, that’s a very good point; maybe I would have gone a different route had I known earlier. At this point, I think I will just go with it and see how it works.

I am coming along nicely with my organization. Reorganizing is something I wanted to do this summer anyway, so getting the lathe lit a fire under me. I should have taken a better before picture, but this is the back wall as of tonight.
B76BB35D-AA74-46CE-B57F-7859FC831BC6.jpeg

With the lathe I got two coffee cans full of odd stuff: some drills, a few reapers, a couple dead centers, a live center, along with some other things. Here are a couple pictures of some things I am unsure of. In the top right, I know can tell it clamps to the way, but I’m not sure what for.
BC46E04A-B708-4214-A237-BBE3F55E69FB.jpeg

F82660B7-7BA6-4AA1-B00D-4DCD6703344A.jpeg

97766B7F-0B1B-4B26-919B-407D1AF40D09.jpeg

I would not put the lathe where the tool box is setting now. You won't have room to pass longer pieces through the spindle bore.
As far as sealing the wood goes you can use polyurethane as I think it's impervious to most oils.

I did consider the fact that I can’t put more than a foot or two through the spindle bore, but I don’t have any better options that I see. My shop is only 24’x14’ and I have very limited space. If it comes to the point I have to put something long in it, I will have to pull the box out so I have clearance.

Thanks for the tip on polyurethane!

I did consider the fact that I can’t put more than a foot or two through the spindle bore, but I don’t have any better options that I see. My shop is only 24’x14’ and I have very limited space. If it comes to the point I have to put something long in it, I will have to pull the box out so I have clearance.

Thanks for the tip on polyurethane!
I worked in a large shop where they had the same problem. No room and the headstock next to the wall. when they needed to pas a longer piece through the headstock they just drilled a hole in the wall. The wall can help as a rest to keep the longer piece sticking out of the headstock from whipping. when done just plug the hole untill it is needed again. Don

I was thinking of getting a cookie sheet for this purpose

As long as the sides are high enough and it is not to big that would work. I tried a piece of cloth over the rail to keep them clean but the chips hung up to much. Plastic is to stiff and won't give easily enough for the cross slide. Will come up with something. My lathew is to small for a through spindal. Original spindal had a through hole but to small to be practicable and weekend the spindle to much. Had a new spindle made from much harder material, $22 per foot.

Only "machines" we had was a drill press and an old half wore out wood lathe. If we used the lathe we had to furnish our own wood and be approved by the teacher.

I got the lathe mounted to the box today! I think it’s a pretty good size match, although I would have liked to slide it back a bit farther on the bench top. I took a couple videos of it running, but I didn’t know I can’t attach them like a picture. I will take pictures tomorrow!

In the meantime, the motor is acting funny. It is fine on startup, but after 15-20 seconds of running it starts to pulse, surge and click, like it’s turning on and off. Does this make sense to anybody? I took the video hoping that somebody would be able to tell me the issue. Anyway, I think I will probably end up getting a different motor.

I got the lathe mounted to the box today! I think it’s a pretty good size match, although I would have liked to slide it back a bit farther on the bench top. I took a couple videos of it running, but I didn’t know I can’t attach them like a picture. I will take pictures tomorrow!

In the meantime, the motor is acting funny. It is fine on startup, but after 15-20 seconds of running it starts to pulse, surge and click, like it’s turning on and off. Does this make sense to anybody? I took the video hoping that somebody would be able to tell me the issue. Anyway, I think I will probably end up getting a different motor.
Wild guess from your description. Sounds like something is dragging it down and it is kicking down into start mode to pick up speed again, If so it wont last long like that. This is assuming it is a capacitor start motor. Don

Last edited:
Wilde guess from your description. Sounds like something is dragging it down and it is kicking down into start mode to pick up speed again, If so it wont last long like that. This is assuming it is a capacitor start motor. Don
I agrees!

I looked briefly for capacitors, but there were so many I decided to look for another motor. I found one for $20 so I figured I’d give it a shot. This motor is also a 1/4hp and worked fine, for about 5 minutes. I was facing down a ratchet extension that was used as a drift when I had nothing else on hand one time. After a couple minutes of toying around it started acting the same way. I talked to my cousin today, he has a 1/3 horsepower that he said I can try. If that doesn’t work I will look deeper into capacitors.

Something else to look for is a dry bushings somewhere. I don't know if that lathe has bushings in the head supporting the spindle or not. Should be oil cups on the side of the head if it does. These need to be full of oil or the bushings will start to seize in short order dragging the motor down. Some of the older lathes did have bushings. They will act the same way if they are glazed or varnished up.

I went back through re reading your previous post and noticed your pulley size on the motor at 4 inch I believe this is much to large. the motor on my atlas 12inch is more like an inch and a half driving about a 12 inch. The 12 inch is on a jack shaft leading to more speed reduction pulleys. The lathe also has back gears for gear reduction. It is possible you are trying to run your lathe at more than its design RPM. Don

Back