New Project

Looks really nice..
In running order ?

Not at this time, I was told by the seller that it was a "good running little tractor"! I don't think it'll take too much, the starter is dragging, so it needs rebuilt, mag may need work too. I know a guy that's good with magnetos, so I'll check with him on that.

It needs rear tires & possibly a rim, big bucks, but I'll deal with that!

That's a good looking H I've never see one up close did some research on them a few years back was interesting that they have no big bull gears, should make a nice project
Another different thing on these is the clutch/pulley assy is on the end of the camshaft, not the crankshaft. This makes them turn the opposite direction also.

quote: To get every bit of juice it could muster to the belt, Deere mounted the pulley on the end of the Popper's camshaft, eliminating the need for extra internal drive gears. Interestingly, the 100-cubic-inch engine in the H was one of the smallest horizontal two-cylinders Deere ever installed in a tractor.

Another different thing on these is the clutch/pulley assy is on the end of the camshaft, not the crankshaft. This makes them turn the opposite direction also.

quote: To get every bit of juice it could muster to the belt, Deere mounted the pulley on the end of the Popper's camshaft, eliminating the need for extra internal drive gears. Interestingly, the 100-cubic-inch engine in the H was one of the smallest horizontal two-cylinders Deere ever installed in a tractor.

Yea I forgot about the pulley / camshaft set they are probably a nice small tractor

Nothing like the sound of a Johnny Popper plowing Alfalfa early in the morning. You can hear the roots tearing in the ground. To be honest I've owned several JD 2 cyl. tractors but have never plowed Alfalfa with them. I have had old timers tell me that though.
You've got yourself a nice looking H there and I hope it doesn't take too much to get it running.

Very nice!
Obviously someone’s toy.
Electric start is a nice option.
Surprised it does not have the lights.
H’s didn’t come with rear fenders.
You could add later model fenders
Which someone did here.
Cast front rims make it an earlier model.
Later ones had pressed steel rims.
One thing I would check first is the pin that the seat pivots on.
It’s like a 1/4” pin and if it’s original it may be just about worn through!

Joe

John Deere did make optional fenders for the "H". The part numbers are AH758R (right hand) and AH759R (left hand). They are illustrated in the older Repair Catalogs for the "H", but they were not shown in any of the operator's manuals and they are not shown in the current parts book.

Finished up the step for the H: 1677443580285.jpeg

The top part isn't bolted down yet, waiting on a thread tap to clean the threads in the axle housing. I used a flattened piece of an old hammermill screen for the main step.

Also made a flag holder for the front:1677443711464.jpeg

Back