New to me...CHAMPION 4000 W Generator

Love my old Black & Decker drill with the Ni Cad battery. Been going strong for 3 - 4 years now. Makes spinning things over real easy. Here is where I used it to check the Roper's 50" deck after tensioning the bearings. This is the same drill back in 2016.

Ran into a slight snag....

How Do I Order Replacement or Spare Parts and Accessories?

Updated 1 month ago by Scott Henning

Parts

All replacement parts are stocked in our facilities in Southern California and Burlington, ON, Canada. At this time we do not have an online parts ordering system.

To place an order for spare or replacement parts, please give our Technical Support Team a call at 1-877-338-0999, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 AM and 5 PM (PST).

Want to fix mine next lol. A customer brought in a generator a couple years ago and I can't get the generator part going

I understand it has to be an old drill without a variable speed trigger. Gotta hold trigger in while you spin it. I've used this method myself and it worked. Now with my father in law's genset, the drill thing didn't work. So I simply used my jump box and applied 12vdc into the genset's 110 receptacle for a split second and the gen immediately came alive. I just ran the jump box ground to the genset's frame, then put a small wire onto the + clamp of the jump box and just pushed it into the + side of the 110 receptacle for a split second while genset was running. We had a drill in the other receptacle with the trigger lock on, and the drill instantly came on.

I understand it has to be an old drill without a variable speed trigger. Gotta hold trigger in while you spin it. I've used this method myself and it worked. Now with my father in law's genset, the drill thing didn't work. So I simply used my jump box and applied 12vdc into the genset's 110 receptacle for a split second and the gen immediately came alive. I just ran the jump box ground to the genset's frame, then put a small wire onto the + clamp of the jump box and just pushed it into the + side of the 110 receptacle for a split second while genset was running. We had a drill in the other receptacle with the trigger lock on, and the drill instantly came on.
I need to try some of this on the Hobart welder/genset here!

Guess I was lucky mine has an output. I called the company and explained that I needed several parts to order. He gave me an email address to send the parts list to and he would check the price and availability.
1 Air filter assembly with fasteners and filter.
1 Breather tube
1 Carb or rebuild kit
1 Carb heat shield
1 Carb gasket
1 Pull Start Assembly
1 Stator brush assembly

Guess I was lucky mine has an output.

Yours "may" have a winding that excites it. I worked on my cousin's Lincoln welder, and it had a winding under the engine's flywheel that excited the generator. The winding was bad and NLA, so being he used it's electric starter, I simply installed a momentary switch from the battery to the excitation circuit. Told cousin once it fired up to punch that switch and he'd be in business.

No exciter winding that I could see. Generator separated from the engine with no intra connectors between them. The engine only has a kill wire that goes through an low oil sensor then to the on-off switch.

Got the quote back, prices look reasonable. I'll order everything tomorrow.

Critical Engine Parts
1 ea #18 Air Cleaner Assembly 24.091000.21 $30.75 Each- Available in SFS
2 ea #51 Flange Nut M6 1.6177.06 $0.06 Each- Available in SFS & CAN
1 ea #95 Breather Tube 23.020001.02 $1.44 Each- Available in SFS & CAN
1 ea #16 Gasket, Air Cleaner 24.130004.20 $0.32 Each- Available in SFS & CAN
1 ea #31 Gasket, Carburetor 22.130003.00 $0.68 Each- Available in SFS & CAN
1 ea #34 Insulator, Carburetor 23.130001.00 $1.54 Each- Available in SFS
1 ea #18 Carburetor 26.131000.20 (or rebuild kit) $27.50 Each- Available in SFS & CAN

Non-Critical Engine Parts
1 ea #17 Recoil Assembly 22.061000.00 $27.30 Each- Available in SFS & CAN
1 ea #45 Pipe, Fuel (140) 122.070011.05 $1.08 Each- Available in CAN

Non-Critical Generator Parts
1 ea #53 Fuel Meter Assembly 122.072000.00 Updated part # 152.072000.02 $4.08 Each- Available in SFS & CAN

1 ea #14 Carbon Brush Assembly 122.190300.00 $8.90 Each- Available in SFS & CAN

From the Operator manual
Engine Specifications
–– Model. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . YF168FD-2-010
–– Displacement. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 196cc
–– Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4-Stroke OHV
–– Start Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Recoil

And the sticker

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 7
From the Operator manual
Engine Specifications
–– Model. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . YF168FD-2-010
–– Displacement. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 196cc
–– Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4-Stroke OHV
–– Start Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Recoil

And the sticker
when you say it quick 6 1/2 hp doesn't sound like much for a 4k generator. But it must be. :)

when you say it quick 6 1/2 hp doesn't sound like much for a 4k generator. But it must be. :)
Well, I have a Chinese clone generator, also 4,000 continuous watts, and it has a Honda GX390 clone, which is over 11HP. I ordered used Honda engine components to repair it. But in case I'm brain farting, when I go down there I'll check to be certain of what I'm saying.

Back