"New" trailer!

MFDAC, I had a 9k winch yrs ago and it was actuated with 4 ford solenoids and a SPDT toggle switch. Can't remember just how the solenoids were wired up. IIRC 2 solenoids carried the + and - for one direction and the other 2 carried the + and - for the other direction. The pairs of solenoids were actuated by each side of the toggle switch. The toggle switch could be on a 3 wire cord of whatever length was desired. No ground wire is necessary for the switch as the solenoids grounded to the metal they're bolted to. You might be able to google the wiring setup to be sure. I just know it was a bullet proof and water proof set up.

Last edited:
MFDAC, I had a 9k winch yrs ago and it was actuated with 4 ford solenoids and a SPDT toggle switch. Can't remember just how the solenoids were wired up. IIRC 2 solenoids carried the + and - for one direction and the other 2 carried the + and - for the other direction. The pairs of solenoids were actuated by each side of the toggle switch. The toggle switch could be on a 3 wire cord of whatever length was desired. No ground wire is necessary for the switch as the solenoids grounded to the metal they're bolted to. You might be able to google the wiring setup to be sure. I just know it was a bullet proof and water proof set up.
Sounds like a good setup. It may come to that yet! Thanks for the info.

Now your going to have to paint the whole trailer. :rolleyes:
Figured on it anyway so I thought I'd do that area since the jack was out, Chris!

Put the trailer out in the back yard today since it sounds like the last "fall" day for the near future. Took the guts out of the coupler to discourage any would be theives. Need to work on a couple of our vehicles so needed the shop space. I can still work on the winch in the shop until the trailer mount needs to be built. Going to make sure the winch is going to operate correctly first though.

DAC

I FINALLY got some time to tinker with the winch today! Getting the new reversing solenoid did the trick! The remote kit that Kenny recommended works great! Mocked it up on the welding table. Now to do the permanent wiring I'm waiting on some 14 ga loop connectors with a 5/16" hole! Ones I had were too small or way big. Then I need to figure mounting the solenoid, remote receiver and a battery box that will be removable like the winch will be. I have a couple of automotive battery boxes around here somewhere so thinking about putting the winch electrical and a garden tractor size battery in that. Got two tractors that need batteries now, with the addition of that MTD/Bolens LT, so it wouldn't be a big deal to rob a battery off one to use with the winch when needed. Then plan the receiver mount on the trailer for the winch itself!

DAC

DSCN2927.JPG

Well I got my new floor wood for mine. Rough sawn oak, 1" (real true 1") by a true 12" wide
Price was right too. A 30 pack of the cheapest beer known to man(Busch light) not my brand but his choice. I don't drink much beer but when I do it's Miller.

Well I got my new floor wood for mine. Rough sawn oak, 1" (real true 1") by a true 12" wide
Price was right too. A 30 pack of the cheapest beer known to man(Busch light) not my brand but his choice. I don't drink much beer but when I do it's Miller.
I would say that's a great deal for new bed wood, dodge! The wood on this bed is 3/4" plywood and seems to still be in great shape. Quite a bit of structure underneath it. Busch light in my opinion is the best beer Anheuser Busch makes! Not my brand either though. Coors Light or Miller Light is good for me.

DAC

On the old truck, we.had a diode that was on the brake light wire and it could go up and charge.the battery.
not sure how all the new electronics would like something like that, but it sure did work well back in the day

On the old truck, we.had a diode that was on the brake light wire and it could go up and charge.the battery.
not sure how all the new electronics would like something like that, but it sure did work well back in the day
Thanks for the idea, Alan! I have two old trucks that could see some towing duty so that may be something to consider!

Found the battery boxes tonight after work. Of course they were buried where only spiders have seen them for years! 2006 was the last time they were in use, holding the batteries for my slot car track!

DAC

Last night I clamped down and hooked up the winch to run the cable out to see if it's in good shape. Looks ro be 30-35" of cable on it. It's been pinched before but no fraying anywhere. Not going to stab a wire in the hand reeling it back in.
DSCN2930.JPG DSCN2933.JPG

There's room in the battery box using a GT size battery to mount the solenoid and remote receiver box in it too. Just disconnect the battery cables and lift it out. Everything else will stay in it. I'll disconnect the wires off the winch motor to remove the stuff from the trailer when not in use.
DSCN2931.JPG DSCN2932.JPG

Now the bummer part. I kept playing with it a bit and it quit reeling out the cable. The remote box clicks when pressing the remote controls, but the solenoid doesn't on the "out" side. After I put a volt meter on the out signal wire to verify power is getting to the solenoid think I'll drill the rivets off and look inside. If it's fried junk it and order a different one. If it's just sticky, I'll clean it up and bolt the bottom cover back on.

DAC

Last edited:
That’s a heck of a nice trailer Doug. Your Uncle in Law does some top shelf fabrication work. Guys like that are getting hard to find.

jhn9840
John
Thank-you John! Jim has always been able to build something out of pretty much nothing! His father taught him well! Unfortunately none of his 3 sons picked up the fabrication skills. They are all successful, just in the high-tech and computer type fields. I better give him a call tomorrow night to see how he and his wife are doing.

DAC

I use my booster pack when I need/want power to the trailer winch. Two heavy clamps to the two wires and your ready to go. Relays, etc. is all in the OEM weather proof box mounted on the front rail near the winch. Quick, simple & easy.

Sorry the box messed up on you.
No need for an apology, Kenny! It's the reversing solenoid I bought to replace the old relays that quit working on the "out" side as I had suspected! I did do a voltage test tonight to be sure and both signal wires, in and out, are sending voltage to the solenoid, and they are. The remote setup you recommended seems to be doing what it is supposed to!

DAC

I use my booster pack when I need/want power to the trailer winch. Two heavy clamps to the two wires and your ready to go. Relays, etc. is all in the OEM weather proof box mounted on the front rail near the winch. Quick, simple & easy.

I will keep that in mind, Roger! I have to buy another battery anyway and can't afford a booster until later. I does sound like a real clean, easy setup!

DAC

No need for an apology, Kenny! It's the reversing solenoid I bought to replace the old relays that quit working on the "out" side as I had suspected! I did do a voltage test tonight to be sure and both signal wires, in and out, are sending voltage to the solenoid, and they are. The remote setup you recommended seems to be doing what it is supposed to!

DAC
Okay, thought it was the remote. Not good for a new solenoid to quit though.

Back