New Truck Styles

When I was in Sioux Falls a few weeks ago the lots looked full. I wonder how their doing it. Didn't pay any attention when there yesterday.

There has been a guy in our town who has been selling used cars for years. Mostly high mileage newer cars. Probably executive driven.
Now he has nothing.

When I was at the dodge/jeep dealer Friday they had 8 new vehicles and 20 used cars. They are a big dealer and probably have 150 cars usually.

What I've been seeing is 1 or 2 year old vehicles on the lot used with 20k miles for more than new.

A 2021 tacoma trd off road is 41k new 15 to 20 week wait time but it'll come eventually.

Used car lot had the exact same truck but a 2020 for 45k with 20k miles. I told that guy he was on crack. 3 days later it was gone.

Talking with a friend he has a gmc dually, a dealership offered him 5 grand more than what he paid 2 years ago for it. Which he said it awesome to make a quick buck but there is nothing out there to replace it with.
The Toyota and Ford dealership are empty. The Chevy and ram dealers seem to have trucks. They have 2 Denali ones on the lot but I was told they are pushing 90k a piece!

I know a younger 30 something guy that bought a $75k truck with no money down. $1500+ a month for I don't know how many months..
You do the math....bet he'll be living with mom and dad for " I don't know how many months".

$18,000 a year before insurance, taxes, fuel, maintenance. Have to earn $25,000 just to make the payment. $50 a day. Every day. I would be sick to my stomach over that.

Reminds me about my Dad telling me about building his house in 1960. He borrowed all the money the bank would let him. His payment was $60 a month. He said he was physically ill for months worried over making the payment. It was 1/3 of his take home pay. Imagine doing that just to drive.

Sorry to keep going about it, but I’m a subscriber to the Dave Ramsey practice about cars.

My first car payment was 132 a month in 2002. I cleared 900 a week working 6 12s. Every Sunday off.

I lived cheap. Dirty little 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto cost me 300 a month with all the utilities included. I spent about 500 a month on bills, 100 on food and the rest on beer! Life was pretty easy in those days.

I'd rather make a car payment then have to spend a moment under a car working on it so I can get to work. My time is worth something too. But I'm not paying 1500 a month for a vehicle. 500 a month at no more than 36 months is my line in the sand.

I’m the same. Haven’t had a car payment in over 20 years. I buy nice used trucks with cash and keep them a long time. My neighbor was itching to know what my payment was when I bought my 2500. I finally told him I didn’t have a payment. Now he thinks I am rolling in money. He doesn’t notice that I don’t go out to eat all the time, don’t hang out at the bars and do most of my own work on my cars and house. If I want something outside my normal budget(interpret that as a new gun), I pick up odd jobs to cover it. But to each their own.

Years ago I learned something from the finance officer at a dealership. Was going to pay cash for a car and he asked if I was going to liquidate investments in order to pay for it. I said yes. He asked what they were earning and I said 7%. He said I would be better of to make payments at .85% and let the investments keep earning 7%. Made sense and we have done it that way sense but only for 4 years or less and only if the funds are there to pay off the loan if things go south. So far it's works out quite well.

Years ago I learned something from the finance officer at a dealership. Was going to pay cash for a car and he asked if I was going to liquidate investments in order to pay for it. I said yes. He asked what they were earning and I said 7%. He said I would be better of to make payments at .85% and let the investments keep earning 7%. Made sense and we have done it that way sense but only for 4 years or less and only if the funds are there to pay off the loan if things go south. So far it's works out quite well.
Same thing kind of.
When I went to buy the new Frontier I got I jiggled money around to buy it out right.
Went in to buy it and was told the price that was listed wasn't good unless I finance thru them (now get this) @ 0% for 60 months. They would sooner finance at 0% than have cash..
Kind of pissed at first till I thought about it for a while . I'll use their money and let mine work for me.
All worked out as I took my money and put it back where it come from.

Only one time to enjoy life, while your living it. I about had the house paid off. Then borrowed to put the basement under it which just extended the mortguage payments. Personal loan to finish paying off the new furnace. Still have a few nickles to do a thing or two we ant to now that our working years are behind us. At least our Have to working years.

Reactions: Pig
Back