New work bench for the shipping container

6°F out this morning and topping out in the mid-teens. The container was 25°F so I let the diesel heater run for a 1/2 hour while I fed the cows. Brought the temp up to 29/30°F so kinda futile to try and heat it up on a day like today. I think I would need a small woodstove to warm it up with these temps. The big shop was sitting at 36°F so I started a fire to burn up the wastepaper and cardboard that's been stacking up. Not running the propane heater at all. If I can get it up near 50°F it should stay above freezing inside for several days.

Someone said that this is an "El Nino" year. I say deport that $#@&** back where he came from and if he comes back it's time for a good old fashion lynching---LOL!!

DAC
So far we have only had trace amounts of snow which is very typical of an El Nino winter here. I think it has more influence on weather when you live closer to the Oceans. The weather guy I watch on Youtube says there are sign that it may be heading back to La Nina later this year but a little too early to say for sure. Just think how cold it would be for you if it wasn't "El Nino". ;)

Just think how cold it would be for you if it wasn't "El Nino". ;)
It better not get too much colder no matter what, CJet! We were within 7 degrees of the all-time low record temp last night! Low was -24F air temp. Record is -31F. Wind chill was -55 to-60F!

I think "they" say whatever fits their agenda, El Nino, La Nina or none of that. We have had good winters in either case so they just hope people forget!

DAC

Added a work stool to use with the work bench. Dad already had one of these Northern Tool work stools so I got to try it out before getting another one. It has adjustable height and a back rest so it should be good enough for me. They are selling for $49.99 right now with free shipping so I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

• 100_6043-m.jpg
    100_6043-m.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_6045-m.jpg
    100_6045-m.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_6047-m.jpg
    100_6047-m.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 5
Added a work stool to use with the work bench. Dad already had one of these Northern Tool work stools so I got to try it out before getting another one. It has adjustable height and a back rest so it should be good enough for me. They are selling for $49.99 right now with free shipping so I couldn't pass it up.
I went to NT website to order one but must have missed the sale, CJet. $79.99. Nice score!

DAC

About a month ago I went to an auction and picked up a new (to me) workbench as well.
It's about 30x60, and has an upper shelf along the back, about the height of a can of brake clean/ above the work area, 2 slide out drawers under the work table and a shelf about 4-6" off the ground.

I wanted the stainless steel one , about 3 lots down the row from which my new one came from, but there was 2 problems with me getting the one I really wanted. 1 was the order in which the auctioneer that row, he went backwards of how I had hoped he would. So this one came up 1st. The other problem was that as it turns out the bid on the stainless one went way too high. I had a couple of buddies who were eyeing that same table, and quit raising their hands long before I even did
Actually being as how the sale order meant that the row with these benches ended up being last to sell, I had actually asked my buddy to bid for me and if I won I'd be back. I didn't know then that he was after that same one. I had had the 2 grand kids and my wife with me the grand daughter was driving her nuts and wanted to go home. The grandson was being pretty good, he pretty much stuck to me, this was his first auction, he's 3 years old. His sister is almost 2.
But for 3 he's pretty smart. Knows a hammer from a screwdriver and a wrench from a pair of pliers. I'm not sure if I could ask him to get me a Phillips or a torx or a "regular", but he'd definitely being me a screwdriver if I asked for one. I think he knows needle nose from other types of pliers already though.

Id have taken both benches (there were others there too but I didn't like any of those) if the price was right, but I'd have really liked the stainless one, since my spot I put the new workbench in is outside along the back garage wall.
If I'd have gotten both I'd have put them both back there next to each other. I like doing "bench work" outside when weather allows. Beats doing it off the truck's tailgate.
Next step is to cut up the 8" cardboard tube I have "actually cardboard concrete forms" for deck piers and such) and dig down a foot or so and set 4 of these forms level and pour 4 concrete pads level with each other to match the leg spacing on my bench and anchor it down with some redhead concrete anchors.
Kind of like digging and pouring for a fence post but purposely having them stuck out 3-4" or whatever it takes to get them even with each other.

I didn’t see this thread when it was posted. Way back you were talking about heating it.

We have 2 shipping containers that we use as extra shop space. I had a guy come in and spray foam insulate them. Hung a 480v heater up in there and it will absolutely run you out of there. Before the insulation it got just not as cold as outside.

I didn’t see this thread when it was posted. Way back you were talking about heating it.

We have 2 shipping containers that we use as extra shop space. I had a guy come in and spray foam insulate them. Hung a 480v heater up in there and it will absolutely run you out of there. Before the insulation it got just not as cold as outside.
The thread got away from me too Aaron I had to get caught up. I haven’t been seeing a lot of posts lately unless specifically search for them.

Back