NTM Case 224

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Had a weird thing happen today. A guy called and said he needed his MF 1450 running. For payment he would give me a Case 224. Says he has driven it (very fast), took it apart for paint. I have to put it back together and get it back into running state again. Has original tires. Here's the rolling chassis:
DSCN5565.JPG DSCN5566.JPG

Hood and parts:
DSCN5567.JPG DSCN5568.JPG DSCN5569.JPG

Even has a decent seat:
DSCN5570.JPG

Now the fun begins!

Looks like you got a great deal, Kenny! Post what you have to do on the 1450 please. I got mine running but it would be great to see your plan of attack too!

DAC
When he gets the new battery, I'll bring it home. He's thinking it needs a carb. We'll see. With the bad battery, couldn't tell if it had starter issues too.

Neat. Any attactments with it Kenny. ?9.4 miles an hour in high range and 4 in low. Any idea what year it is ? One thing I don’t like about mine is, they will roll down a hill, while you have the travel selector set at a set speed, on a down hill they will roll faster than where your set and your constantly moving the travel lever so you don’t go to fast. And make sure your brakes are working. You’ll need them. Apparently a holding valve can be installed to help control the rolling trouble. Why they are not on all tractors I don’t know. And another valve I’ve seen mentioned is a flow control. Some people put both on. My 446 Case is a 1982. In 1983 the tractors came from the factory with the holding valve. Hehe, figures. Any way, looks to be in good shape Kenny, have fun.
I know a fella here where I live that had a 222 Case with a tiller. He said it was an awful thing to control while tilling. Tiller would push it a lot.

Noel

Attachments

• 91CD4432-4263-4BEC-8F47-3EF2ED2B25CA.png
    91CD4432-4263-4BEC-8F47-3EF2ED2B25CA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • A4D72528-46CC-4177-80A2-1E9F1679E749.png
    A4D72528-46CC-4177-80A2-1E9F1679E749.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • C1A53D5B-F2A0-47BE-8404-F9790067FEB6.png
    C1A53D5B-F2A0-47BE-8404-F9790067FEB6.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 9E87511A-E263-4598-A941-0A94B2210296.png
    9E87511A-E263-4598-A941-0A94B2210296.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Neat. Any attactments with it Kenny. ?9.4 miles an hour in high range and 4 in low. Any idea what year it is ? One thing I don’t like about mine is, they will roll down a hill, while you have the travel selector set at a set speed, on a down hill they will roll faster than where your set and your constantly moving the travel lever so you don’t go to fast. And make sure your brakes are working. You’ll need them. Apparently a holding valve can be installed to help control the rolling trouble. Why they are not on all tractors I don’t know. And another valve I’ve seen mentioned is a flow control. Some people put both on. My 446 Case is a 1982. In 1983 the tractors came from the factory with the holding valve. Hehe, figures. Any way, looks to be in good shape Kenny, have fun.
I know a fella here where I live that had a 222 Case with a tiller. He said it was an awful thing to control while tilling. Tiller would push it a lot.

Noel
I'll check the serial # today to see what year it is. I have to put a new band on the brakes, it's metal-to-metal right now. I have a band for something else floating around the shop somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and remove the material for this. If not, McMaster-Carr has some new material. Been downloading manuals for it and looking things over. Didn't have much time yesterday when I got it home to do much more than start figuring out how it goes back together. I may have to get some new hydraulic hose as I see signs of leakage on the one up by the cooler. It'll be a learning experience. No attachments with it.

Last edited:
One of the most underrated garden tractors out there. Tough machines, I rarely, if ever use the foot brake. In low range it's easy and recommended you control starting/stopping with the lever.
I never had issues with it rolling, I think I posted our early 220 on here, I refreshed last year. Good luck with it

Attachments

• 20200712_110749.jpg
    20200712_110749.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 10
One of the most underrated garden tractors out there. Tough machines, I rarely, if ever use the foot brake. In low range it's easy and recommended you control starting/stopping with the lever.
I never had issues with it rolling, I think I posted our early 220 on here, I refreshed last year. Good luck with it
While not as good looking, I got it back together. Waiting for the brake band to set up and the battery to charge well. I'll have to adjust the brake tomorrow.
DSCN5571.JPGDSCN5572.JPG

Hmm does the serial tag say 224 on it? I thought the 224 would have had factory hydraulic lift, hydraulic lift was optional on the 220/222 I remember and standard on the 444 but not sure on the 224.

That’s was quick Kenny. What do you use the glue the brake lining on with. ?

Noel
JB (slow) Weld.

Hmm does the serial tag say 224 on it? I thought the 224 would have had factory hydraulic lift, hydraulic lift was optional on the 220/222 I remember and standard on the 444 but not sure on the 224.
Yes, the tag does say 224. But it is manual lift. Can't find much info on the early 224's. Even the parts list is off!

Went out this morning and got the brake adjusted. Put a battery in it and hooked up the spark tester. Rolled it over, no spark. Pulled the points cover and scuffed the contacts. Still no spark. Unhooked the condenser, still no spark. Ran the spark tester to ground and we have spark. Found a used plug for one of these and had spark. Next up was fuel. Sprayed some flammable brake cleaner in the carb, it fired off for a bit. Cranked some more, sprayed more, tried to run. Went around toe the fuel pump side and it was peeing out the side. Tried two plastic pumps that were hanging around, no go with them. Finally red neck engineered a Facet pump for temporary use. We have a running engine. Tried the motion selector, no movement. Then remembered the axle was in neutral. Had to add about 3 qts. of 15W40 for the hydraulics, but it moves well now.
DSCN5573.JPG DSCN5574.JPG

Ever seen a Kohler fuel pump like this one?
DSCN5575.JPG

Went out this morning and got the brake adjusted. Put a battery in it and hooked up the spark tester. Rolled it over, no spark. Pulled the points cover and scuffed the contacts. Still no spark. Unhooked the condenser, still no spark. Ran the spark tester to ground and we have spark. Found a used plug for one of these and had spark. Next up was fuel. Sprayed some flammable brake cleaner in the carb, it fired off for a bit. Cranked some more, sprayed more, tried to run. Went around toe the fuel pump side and it was peeing out the side. Tried two plastic pumps that were hanging around, no go with them. Finally red neck engineered a Facet pump for temporary use. We have a running engine. Tried the motion selector, no movement. Then remembered the axle was in neutral. Had to add about 3 qts. of 15W40 for the hydraulics, but it moves well now.
View attachment 35647 View attachment 35646

Ever seen a Kohler fuel pump like this one?
View attachment 35645
That's one of first style of Kohler fuel pumps, I have one just like it. Plus, I got at least one that has a priming lever on it.

Back