Onan P220

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
A while back I bought a P220 'basket case' (came in 2 cardboard boxes) from member BTS. Most everything is there except for the bolts. So this morning I got on the phone with 'Boomer' in MN to see about some bolts. Found a couple other things were needed like the valve covers. And while we were talking, I found I had the wrong rings for this engine. The ones bought for it (before BTS) were for a newer engine with different pistons. I'll send them to him for credit towards my shopping list. He's a great man to talk to, knows parts very well on these engines. He told me to pull the cam as these were known for the bearings to go bad. Sure enough, they are. By the time I'm done, I'll have a nearly new P220 (if I can afford it all). The bolts will be good used bolts, but that's fine by me. May be a bit yet before I start putting it back together, but I thought I would start a thread on it. And I do not hold BTS responsible for what I have found. He got this engine with the JD 420 and put it up for sale. I'm happy to get another P220 for one of my tractors (JD 316 at the moment).

A while back I bought a P220 'basket case' (came in 2 cardboard boxes) from member BTS. Most everything is there except for the bolts. So this morning I got on the phone with 'Boomer' in MN to see about some bolts. Found a couple other things were needed like the valve covers. And while we were talking, I found I had the wrong rings for this engine. The ones bought for it (before BTS) were for a newer engine with different pistons. I'll send them to him for credit towards my shopping list. He's a great man to talk to, knows parts very well on these engines. He told me to pull the cam as these were known for the bearings to go bad. Sure enough, they are. By the time I'm done, I'll have a nearly new P220 (if I can afford it all). The bolts will be good used bolts, but that's fine by me. May be a bit yet before I start putting it back together, but I thought I would start a thread on it. And I do not hold BTS responsible for what I have found. He got this engine with the JD 420 and put it up for sale. I'm happy to get another P220 for one of my tractors (JD 316 at the moment).
Who is this Boomer of whitch you speak and how can a mere mortal get in touch with him. I have the P218 which came with my 317 needing parts and the prices I am seeing make me cringe. Just the gasket set makes me want to cry. At this time I own 5 Onan engines and 2 are striped apart. and needing repair parts. Don

Who is this Boomer of whitch you speak and how can a mere mortal get in touch with him. I have the P218 which came with my 317 needing parts and the prices I am seeing make me cringe. Just the gasket set makes me want to cry. At this time I own 5 Onan engines and 2 are striped apart. and needing repair parts. Don
I'll send you a message!

He's a good guy and a straight shooter who won't sell you unneeded parts. I dealt with him getting parts for the Onan welder engine I had.
Mike
And he will make sure you get the correct parts! He has opened my eyes to several differnt things to look for including pulling the cam as he said the bearing were known to go bad. Sure enough, they were. Found out the new rings supplied by JD were the wrong ones for my pistons.

Kenny, be SURE to use the strongest thread locker on the cam bearing on the cam gear side. Unless they changed the design, this bearing has been known to slip, which would block the oil passage. It was just a hole over hole with no groove on the underside of bearing to allow oil passage, so if the bearing slipped, the hole would be completely blocked, which in turn was catastrophic.

Kenny, be SURE to use the strongest thread locker on the cam bearing on the cam gear side. Unless they changed the design, this bearing has been known to slip, which would block the oil passage. It was just a hole over hole with no groove on the underside of bearing to allow oil passage, so if the bearing slipped, the hole would be completely blocked, which in turn was catastrophic.
Thanks. Didn't know that!

Have a friend that had an Onan rebuilt out of a Case GT. Had over $1300 in it when done. I have an B43 that needs the valves adjusted. Also BFMS that won't run right. Probably the same problem but the tractor has a bad rear end but good hydro.

Last edited:
Back