Onan P220

Now that's fast service!
Yep! I payed for 2-day shipping to get it here! He had it all gathered together, just had to box it and let me know what the shipping would be.

I plan to take the crank out of the block today and scrape all the old gaskets off. Not sure if it will get cleaned, depends on the weather outside. I do plan to flush all oil passages with Brake Parts cleaner and air when that happens. I also want to get an oil pressure gauge and hour meter for this engine. I'll make a mount for it directly on the engine. I did clean off my shop table to put it together on. Plus I have all the bolts he sent to clean ( told him I would do that, no since paying for clean bolts!). Got to hone the cylinders too. I'll have pics! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Well, ran into an issue! The crank gear only has 10-32 bolt threads in it to pull it off. Now to find some 5-6" long 10-32 bolts strong enough to use with a puller!

Attachments

• DSCN4276.JPG
    DSCN4276.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 3
I tried to pull it off but was afraid I'd break those small bolts off. I did bend them. I made an adapter and started with the 3-jaw. Finally got out the big puller and it wouldn't budge!
DSCN4277.JPG DSCN4278.JPG DSCN4279.JPG

Honed the cylinders, then took it out for cleaning. Used a couple cans of brake cleaner on the insides.
DSCN4280.JPG DSCN4281.JPG

Ready for the pistons! Gotta clean them up first!

I used grade 8 bolts on mine/ Bolted the adapter solid tight to the gear. The bolts can't bend because they have no slack. The adapter I made is 1/2 plate so it won't bend. The only way it could go wrong is if the bolts pull in two or the threads pull out. Used my most skookum puller. It was very tight but once it made the first pop it pulled fine. Don

Can you properly mike the crank without removing it from the block. If so you are much more creative than I. Don

When I did mine I was afraid to damage it so took the engine up to the small engine repair guy that I bought the tractor from. We used a plate puller just like yours with short hardened bolts. After we put puller on it we did a quick heating of the gear with a torch then put some pressure on the puller and it slid right off.

When I did mine I was afraid to damage it so took the engine up to the small engine repair guy that I bought the tractor from. We used a plate puller just like yours with short hardened bolts. After we put puller on it we did a quick heating of the gear with a torch then put some pressure on the puller and it slid right off.
No heat here! I need to get another small puller, split mine in two.

No heat here! I need to get another small puller, split mine in two.
I think the heat was the trick to be honest. He didn't have to put a whole lot of tension of the puller, he preloaded it , heated it and then put alittle more force on the puller and slipped right off. You do know the freezer method for install right?

Anyway in case you don't ....when your going to install it ...put your crank in the freezer and your gear in the oven. I didn't have to use the freezer it was -20 outside.....But with a cold crank and a hot gear no pressing needed it just slides right on.

I got some of it accomplished today! Here's pics of the crank and rods!
DSCN4282.JPG DSCN4283.JPG DSCN4286.JPG

Got the rings on the pistons and installed them. Got the oil pump in too!
DSCN4287.JPG

Put the pan on.
DSCN4288.JPG

Set it upright and checked the valve adjustment. Needed minor tweaks. So I then put the valve covers on.
DSCN4289.JPG

Tomorrow is checking the heads for flatness and getting them on. Can't install the front cover as yet. Need the little snap ring thingy for the front of the camshaft. It's in the mail.

Kenny, I just now seen you left me a voice mail message. Guess it was about the crank timing gear? See you got it off. I made my own little puller and took grade 8 bolts, ground them down on the end, then used a die to put the right threads on it. Was still a hard pull and figured I'd pull the end off the bolts, bu it did get it off. That engine oughta be good as new when you get done!

Kenny, I just now seen you left me a voice mail message. Guess it was about the crank timing gear? See you got it off. I made my own little puller and took grade 8 bolts, ground them down on the end, then used a die to put the right threads on it. Was still a hard pull and figured I'd pull the end off the bolts, bu it did get it off. That engine oughta be good as new when you get done!
Nope, didn't get it off! Just cleaned as I could and started putting it back together. It'll be a sweet engine.

You gotta stop this Kenny! This Onan project has me wanting to get into one or 2 Onans I have here!

Boomer can get you the parts! Only $160 for this one and I had to buy the bolts too! Rings are around $50 for a set!

I got all I can accomplish on the engine done today, need the Governor retaining ring for the end of the cam before I can install the cover and flywheel!
I checked the heads for flatness on my glass and sandpaper. They were good to go.
DSCN4290.JPG

Getting ready to torque the head bolts.
DSCN4291.JPG

Installed the intake after a good cleaning (carb included) and finishing up the heads.
DSCN4292.JPG

Bolted on the exhaust.
DSCN4293.JPG

Cleaned the rest of the tins. Gotta get rid of these Craftsman decals and paint the other parts.
DSCN4294.JPG DSCN4295.JPG

My retaining ring is in the mail, hope to get it Monday!

Not much happening until I get that retainer. I turned my attention to the tins and such. Might as well have them looking good. Here's the air filter housing:
DSCN4296.JPG

What I got done yesterday afternoon. No more Craftsman decals! :thumbs:
DSCN4297.JPG DSCN4298.JPG

I even repainted the fuel line clamps in red, but they are too small and still tacky to get pics of! Hope the retaining ring shows tomorrow. May have a video of it running!

Back