Onan P220

With the retaining ring in hand, I was able to button up the front of the engine! First was getting the rest of the governor on:
DSCN4303.JPG

Then the front cover and stator:
DSCN4304.JPG

And the flywheel.
DSCN4305.JPG

Got the shroud & starter on too!
DSCN4306.JPG

Not into this real deep as I have to put a tranny in the Dodge PU.

The Onan is ready to start! I'll turn it over for a bit to get the oil flowing, then put the plugs in and get a fuel line going. Depends on the weather when I fire it off. Got mighty cold here too quick!

After I got a fire going in the shop, I piddled with this some more. Put some oil in it and hooked a battery to the starter. Spun it over several times (no plugs yet) to fill the filter and oil passages. Topped off the oil and put the plugs and wires in. It's ready to start, but may be tomorrow or Tuesday. I want it outside so I can let it run for a while! Too cold out there today! Right at freezing right now without the wind chill.

I also painted the flywheel screen yesterday. Want this to look nice as well! Wish I could use the 420 muffler, but I think the frame will not allow that. May have to find a 316-318 muffler.

This is where I lern't to fasten them down before cranking. The horizontals not as bad as the Vert's. Valve adjustment was the issue here. old video.

Yeah, they like to dance around. I had mine outside on some rubber conveyor belting. The fuel pump is no good, blowing the crankcase pulse out the suction port!

I have a Sears 6/18. Fuel pump built into the carb is bad. Hook in one of the Kohler type inline pumps and it seems to work fine. Also have another 6/18 and a 6/16. The fuel lines of all of them seam to drain back to the tank after a few days making them very hard to start the first time without priming the carb. So we come to my question. Has any one tried an outboard primer bulb on these engines with any success? The pump in the link seams viable, I was a little concerned about the ratings until I looked at the reviews. Three out of four were very happy and one not. The one who is not makes no mention of trying to resolve his problem with the seller. Don

Mine fuel pump in the carb had issues as well so I bought and electric pump and wired it to come on and off with the key.

Facet pumps are compatible with gasoline, alcohol blends (up to and including E85), diesel, biodiesel, and fuel additives.

Facet pump link

No heat here! I need to get another small puller, split mine in two.
Is there a reason why you won't or can't use heat. I remember I rebuilt an old Volkswagen Bettle engine when I was green but like a sponge. An old timer told me about the freeze & heat method at the time I was amazed. My mom didn't like the ring gear in her oven though, I didnt have a torch.lol

Is there a reason why you won't or can't use heat. I remember I rebuilt an old Volkswagen Bettle engine when I was green but like a sponge. An old timer told me about the freeze & heat method at the time I was amazed. My mom didn't like the ring gear in her oven though, I didnt have a torch.lol
Nothing to heat it with to come off.

Back