Salvaging junked out LT's

MFDAC

Tractorologist
I posted the first few pics in the "What are you currently working on?" thread but figured it would be best to just start one. My wife's uncle dropped off 3 old Lt's last Monday. I'm still not sure they will be worth putting a lot of effort into. I only had to work an 8 hour day today so got home early enough to air up tires and push the JD140 and the MTD/Bolens into the shop. Both are reacting similar, no go trying to crank the engines with the ignition switches. Both cranked over pretty well jumping the solenoids. The JD Starter decided to quit engaging and the smoke was released from the coil! Not sure what the heck happened there. I did have the switches in the "run" position and gave the carbs a squirt of ether after I confirmed the starters would work. I should have had more patience to see if they had spark first.

I found some info about all 3 of them on Tractor Data. It's pretty general but still helps date them at least. The JD was produced 1986 to 1988. 12.5 Kawasaki.

The MTD/Bolens is from 2006-2008---exactly 20 years newer production timeframe! It has a 15.5 Briggs I/C in it. It looks as old as the JD though unfortunately. Sitting out in the prairie is dang hard on them! Hoping one can be salvaged to be a mower for my wife if I can't mow. No way she could use the MF12G with some of the issues she has.

DSCN2733.JPG DSCN2734.JPG

The Kawasaki coil seems to have has a leak!
DSCN2735.JPG

DAC

I don't know much about those Kawasaki engines. Be nice if you could get the B&S running and put it on the JD.
I have another 12hp vertical crank B/S out in a shed. I had it running well 20-30 years ago, LOL! That one and parts from the smoker Craftsman that came with these two tractors might make a good engine. I had robbed the carb and starter off the one in the shed to fix an LT for my father-in-law a long time ago. Definitely thinking about an engine swap.

Must have put 12 volt power to the coil some how and fried it. Just a guess.

Noel
Yeah, I'm going to mess with them some more this afternoon. I called Uncle Jim, and he said the coil was bad on that Kaw engine, that's why the tins were off of it. Looks like new ones can be had for under 25 bucks shipped. Not sure I'm going that route yet.

DAC

As usual a couple things came up that kept me from putting much time in on these LT's. I did finally look at the tins of the JD and it says it is a pressure oiler. Can't see a filter on it, unless it's hanging underneath. Far as I got on that one. If I only had a h@!$t---LOL! I also found a badly melted electrical connector that had been cut out of the wiring. Not a good sign there! It was inside the blower housing with the bolts.

DSCN2736.JPG DSCN2739.JPG

I put a little more time into the MTD. Solenoid tests out ok. The switch wire to the solenoid isn't getting the message from the switch though. I haven't found out if it is the wire or the switch yet. I'll pull the switch out tomorrow. There's one of those reverse lockout buttons on there too and I just as soon do away with that. If it's the switch they are pretty cheap too, under 20 bucks.

DAC

So, Im just trying to help here Doug. If the pto is on, it won’t start. If you are not sitting on the seat, it won’t start. If you are sitting on the seat, but don’t have the brake pedal pushed all the way down, it won’t start. I know you know these things, but just trying to get these things out there.

If the battery is dead, it won’t start. Hehe. Sorry, that just kinda slipped out.

Noel.

You're a regular comedian, Noel---LOL! BUT I didn't think about the brake pedal! The seat switch is already bypassed and the pto lever was disengaged. The switch for that is right by the battery mount and starter solenoid. Guess I better look for a brake switch too!. I have never had a LT or a GT anywhere near this new so any suggestions like this helps! Thanks!

DAC

Hehe. Fellas gotta have a little fun Doug. Newest tractor i have im guessin is a 2005/2008 maybe. That yardworks I showed you. Got it for free. Fixed her up, it a great mower and easy to drive.
Next newest is the YT16H Ford around 1991. The rest all go down hill from there. Oldest running one is a 1970 JD 140H3. Oldest not running is a 1969 MF 7.

Guess I kinda got carried away with this post. No useful info in this one.

Noel

Not all the safety switches are either normally open or normally closed they can be both! Like the silly seat switches ! 3 wire plug with 3 separate terminals or more will most likely be both.
Some, especially on JD stuff have a set resistance value to them making life fixing them a real horror. Just in case it wasn't mentioned earlier.

I put the 12 1/2HP Kawi in my Wheel horse leaf vac tractor and had to fix the oil leak between pan and block. Gasket was NLA so just used silicone and so far holding good. It's on it's 3rd ignition "ignitor" and have never found a good explanation of just what it does. I know it won't start without it.

Jumpins. Learned something new again today. Never knew about fiber cam gears. I thought it was sprocket and chain was the normal.

Must of kicked back to break that. ?

Noel.

The newest tractor I have ever owned is my 1975 MF12G! It doesn't have safety gadgets on it. You maim yourself like a real man---LOL!

The B/S in the Bolens/MTD has fire! It helped considerably when the brake pedal is pushed---LOL! It is making a compression sounding noise though like if one spark plug was out of a 2 cylinder engine. I need to check into that further. I was able to keep it running on ether for 15-20 seconds. It fires when I pour some gas in the carb too. The carb is junk though so I ordered one. I did take the valve cover off, thinking stuck exhaust valve but they are operating as they should. Another problem is that there is a piece of choke linkage missing. Is there any way anyone could get a picture of that link so maybe I can make one?
DSCN2741.JPG
The choke is frozen open. What does the wiring to the float bowl do? I'm guessing it's some kind of emission stuff?

I better order a new coil for this one too. As you can see it has been jerry rigged at some point, but is working well.
DSCN2743.JPG

So far so good I guess, Oh I also got the tire beads seated and they seem to be holding air now.

DAC

Jumpins. Learned something new again today. Never knew about fiber cam gears. I thought it was sprocket and chain was the normal.

Must of kicked back to break that. ?

Noel.
All inline sixes I have ever messed with have timing gears---no chains. I recently tore down a late 1950's GMC 270 six and it has steel gears. The guy i got the truck from that the picture is of, is a former co-worker of my wife. He also had an in-town job. They live about 20 miles up into the Black Hills. There's a long steep hill coming into town had he said that going up it there was a mechanical bang and a backfire at the same time and the engine locked up! He put in the clutch and coasted to a stop in time before locking the rear wheels and possibly causing more internal engine damage. Inside of the engine is so clean I can still read the .040 on top the pistons from an overhaul. Crappy choice of cam gears. They used the fiber gears to quiet the engine. The '55 GMC has a mid sixties 230 in it. It has an aluminum cam gear and they make a whine. It doesn't bother me but it must have bothered engineers at GM!

DAC

Back