Sawdust’s Garden 2023

Most of our veining stuff was real slow starting and ended up just wilting and dying. Last I looked the tomatoes were doing OK. Got a nice head of cabbage and will have sevceral Egg Plant if I can keep ahead of the rabbits. A short .22 rifle is going to be my traveling partner for a while.

Most of our veining stuff was real slow starting and ended up just wilting and dying. Last I looked the tomatoes were doing OK. Got a nice head of cabbage and will have sevceral Egg Plant if I can keep ahead of the rabbits. A short .22 rifle is going to be my traveling partner for a while.
That’s all we got too Roger is one cabbage out of 12 we started none of them done well at all starting. I might try again starting some more they usually do well as late plants. We had a lot of coyotes back in the winter and a lot of farmers started hunting them. I think that’s why have an abundance of rabbits this year. Every night I go and lock the chickens up I see 5-8 just hanging out like it’s bunny land.

We puled the rest of our cabbage this morning. Wind took down my dear flashers so the deer got in and ate 3-4 heads. Rabbits are getting through the 1"chicken netting and eating on the egg plant fruits. Weeds/grass has taken over the beets and onions. On of these first cool mornings going to pull what is there and spray the rest and kill out everything. Our Cauliflower heads only got about 3" diameter. Last year we had 8-10" heads. Just a bad year all around for garden. I have shot close to a dozen rabbits under the bird feeders. They are dumb enough they let me ease open the storm door, step out and shoot around the edge of the door 10 feet away. Hard to hit that close. When the dog hears that rifle crack he come running and get his fresh meat for another meal.

The Georgia Peach truck made its annual drive through Kentucky. Carol made some peach preserves, froze some for cobblers and pies later, and I’m eating one everyday.
1D68D8D6-5543-4795-8803-BA75ACFC6661.jpeg
We got our first big pickings of squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. Everything is doing well except the peas. This is our first year here of planting peas. I might order some more pea seeds for a Fall crop.
BAC989BA-0010-4FF6-A365-9561F103ED4A.jpeg4E110FE2-ECD2-4451-B3E9-D060D5E5814D.jpegA386EB65-039F-441F-8D59-B393DBCF2012.jpegB29797A7-346C-43A2-B20C-9D7BCDC92C93.jpeg8D526BE8-8933-4938-853D-FD4AC202E09D.jpeg2844DB43-7860-41BB-83B3-022D0823C73B.jpeg
These were suppose to be bush cucumbers. We got them by mistake but I like them even though they are running farther than I thought.
A9DFE00C-1AEA-4E58-832A-4CC7D4809A39.jpeg
Carol has a variety of flowers planted on the outside of the first garden mostly sun flowers. Some of these sunflowers are the giant variety that have 3” stalks and close to 13” flowers. For me they are a nuisance, in the Fall they have to be dug up and sometimes the heads when seeding out gang over everywhere.
1058EFA9-BD46-49FB-9F26-81B651E3C9B3.jpeg9110835D-A1B2-4EB0-8D9E-DC3F44B9CA93.jpeg

I won't show you a photo of my garden. Bare ground with vine plant (1 out of 7) about 3' long and one bloom Onions and beets are under the grass & weeds some place. Deer came in a cleaned up on everything else. Forgot to replace the CD flashers. Tomatoes are about 3' tall but very few tomatoes setting. Some down on the ground have rotted green. This year has really sucked in more ways than one.

I won't show you a photo of my garden. Bare ground with vine plant (1 out of 7) about 3' long and one bloom Onions and beets are under the grass & weeds some place. Deer came in a cleaned up on everything else. Forgot to replace the CD flashers. Tomatoes are about 3' tall but very few tomatoes setting. Some down on the ground have rotted green. This year has really sucked in more ways than one.
Been there before Roger some years just aren’t too good. Beets, carrots, some corn, and some onions had to be planted twice. Carol put some “cd flashers” up around her chicken coop and areas around it. We’ve never had any problems with hawks like before. They still fly over much higher but just fly on by.

Nice!!!

We are just now starting to get a few veggies trickle in. Couple cukes, pepper, squash, the 1/2 runners are in bloom, bur no bloom for our Blue lake beans.
We are getting too much rain now, I've lost 3 large tomato plants to water wilt. Fine one evening, next day just wilted and we keep getting rain so no recovery.

Nice!!!

We are just now starting to get a few veggies trickle in. Couple cukes, pepper, squash, the 1/2 runners are in bloom, bur no bloom for our Blue lake beans.
We are getting too much rain now, I've lost 3 large tomato plants to water wilt. Fine one evening, next day just wilted and we keep getting rain so no recovery.
I’ve been noticing all the rain North of us going over you recently. We need it bad, a few showers today but not enough.

VERY nice garden Jim! I wish mine was 10% as good. But with how crazy it was when I should have been planted, I'm happy to have my little row of green beans and my late planted sweet corn. Teresa will likely be grading apples when corn comes in, so may be my 1st time ever putting it freezer by myself. I will struggle some, where Teresa makes it look easy, but we both LOVE our fried corn, so I will get it done!

We cannot grow green bean or peas out her for some reason. Got to be the soil mile and a quarter South had good crops of beans and peas.
Man, I'd hate it if I couldn't grow green beans as I love them home canned. Store bought are ok, but home canned have twice the flavor. We still have a lot of home grown, so only planted 1/4 to 1/3rd what we usually would. Always can in jars, as frozen just don't cut it. We buy peas at store as we don't eat that much of them, usually only when we have tuna casserole.

Carol fixed up some of last years canned heirloom beans called Edith Beans with some ham and new potatoes with some cornbread. Only thing missing was a fresh tomato. We have a lot of canned beans from last year so we cut back some this year.

I went out to check on my few tomatos and they were gone, not sure if it was some 4 legged animal or the 2 legged kind. Our tomatos weren't doing very good as it was but there was about 6 I was watching grow and a hand full of grape type. Over by the corner of the fench I seen an unfamiliar track in the mud, Will get a better look at it today.

I went out to check on my few tomatos and they were gone, not sure if it was some 4 legged animal or the 2 legged kind. Our tomatos weren't doing very good as it was but there was about 6 I was watching grow and a hand full of grape type. Over by the corner of the fench I seen an unfamiliar track in the mud, Will get a better look at it today.
Most animals will only eat part of one to get the water during dry spells but they usually leave part of them.

Ours are slow setting fruit also. Did notice several on the three plants, also noted a lot of small hoof tracks around the garden. Spotted some brown legs disappear behind the building the other evening. Darn goats figured out the two wires I put up were not energized and over they went. Got the fencer working so will change that tomorrow. Another wire up about 30 inches and all three will be hot. They can sense when a fence is hot or not. They don't get within 3' of the other fence with two lines. Smart little buggers.

Out yesterday and the last tomato was gone but there was a foot print beside the coge and the tops some of the plants was eaten off. Carla asked me a month or so ago if worms were eating the leaves and I said that wasn't worms but now I know what it was. There is a thicket about 35' from the raised bed.

Back