Sawdust’s Garden 2023

We’ve been picking boat loads of squash, zucchini, and cucumbers. These so called bush cucumbers are by far no bush at all. They are running everywhere, over top of the bush beans, up the fence and through the flower bed outside of the garden. Worse than all that you can’t see them without crawling around to push everything around. Picked our first tomatoes over the weekend, it looks like a lot will be ready at the same time. I’ve had to tie them up every other day. We picked a little more than a half bushel of pole beans on Tuesday will probably pick more on Saturday. Carols been canning several kinds of pickles, and freezing some cucumber salad. She canned what beans we picked yesterday. We still have 17 quarts of beans from last year. I dug a few potatoes to see what I had, a little better than last year but they fried up real good. Peppers are popping out now nicely jalapeños, bell, and poblano. Peas are all dead not sure what happened to them. Third planting of carrots are sprouting, second bed of lettuce is sprouting, beets are doing good. Onions are about done. The corn is about 4” high so I’ll be getting my critter gitter out soon.

Attachments

• IMG_8434.jpeg
    IMG_8434.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8432.jpeg
    IMG_8432.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8430.jpeg
    IMG_8430.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8429.jpeg
    IMG_8429.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8435.jpeg
    IMG_8435.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 2
The wife for the first time picked up a started cucumber plant. After eating one we pulled the plant up. Not good at all. So for the first time in years we have no fresh cucumbers. :(
Looks like your going to be busy for awhile.

Onions are drying and about ready for storage. Picked the first 2 tomatoes this morning. Put the square cages around them and havent touched them since. Staying in the cages in good shape with only a couple branches on the ground. Lot of green ones. No cucumbers, only a couple peppers, no Zucchini, cauliflower or egg plant either. Radish and leaf lettuce was great. Onions did good. Rest of the garden was a waste of time. Have some beets in the ground I think. Under cover of grass and weeds. If it wasn't for the tomatoes I would turn the goats in and let them have at it.

What little we planted this year just didn't seem to grow very good, tomatos are skimpy, beans are only about 6" high but I did notice a bean yesterday and the critters kept digging the watermelon out getting the seeds. when we thought we were going to have tomatos the deer got them first, I did notice there were more starting to grow.

Carolyn went in to the farmer market yesterday. Usually have 12 to 15 vendors with lot of stuff this time of year. Yesterday there were 3 vendors. Carolyn got one big onion and 3 cucumbers and a Rhubarb pie. Nobody has any thing from the garden. Either didn't grow or not ripening. Ground is still moist under the tomato plants yet so no watering for a day or two. At least with the heat, no wind to suck the moisture out.

We are out of venison. Didn't get a deer last year. Didn't get to hunt much due to health issues. Plan on changing that this year. If it wasn't so expensive I would reverse the procedure - get the deer,, then the licenses.

I don’t happen to like venison :(
Wow Chris I could probably count on one hand of the people that have told me they don’t like venison. I have tried it so many ways wanting to like it but and I can’t. Two times it made me gag and I had to spit it out. It’s weird because I love beef.

My late MIL didn't like venison and one weekend she went to visit her sister so Carla fixed a roast, she came home early and stopped at the house before she went home ans asked what was cooking Carla told her a roast so she came back at supper time and took a big piece of the roast and went back for seconds. Next day we told her what it was and she just wouldn't believe us. When she dug into the meat you could have to pry my jaw off the floor.

Jim my wife can fix a venison roast you would think it was beef if you didn't what it was beforehand.

Back