Sears ST/16 with a Predator (now Kohler)engine

That's great to read Kenny !
As for the brake band you probably will have to drop the rear to work on it.
It is very,very tight up inside the rear frame.
On a good note,the first time dropping a Suburban rear may be a little slow but after you have had one out and back in its a pretty easy and fast job the next time.

I have taken one of these rears out of a later model before. Definitely be soaking the bolts with something before trying to remove them. Wonder if heating the bolt heads then letting them cool would help?

I have taken one of these rears out of a later model before. Definitely be soaking the bolts with something before trying to remove them. Wonder if heating the bolt heads then letting them cool would help?
Probably would, aluminum expands nearly 3 times as much as steel, so if you got the whole area really hot, without melting the aluminum, it would likely break the corrosion. Personally, I use Kroil on these kinds of things, but that stuff is pricey!

Probably would, aluminum expands nearly 3 times as much as steel, so if you got the whole area really hot, without melting the aluminum, it would likely break the corrosion. Personally, I use Kroil on these kinds of things, but that stuff is pricey!
My torch won't get hot enough to melt the aluminum. And no Kroil here.

Kroil is awesome, but as Josh said...pricey. I have a little bit left in a spray can that a friend left when I let him use my lift to repair his truck. Back in the dairy days we'd buy it in a gallon can. Can't remember the cost, but it was HIGH! I mostly use PB Blaster now, but I save what little Kroil I have left for the really stubborn jobs.

On most of the Suburbans that I pulled the rears out of the bolts have came right out without issue.

Got the rear end out. Band material was wore out. Ordered new from McMaster-Carr:

I got 2 feet so I would have extra when needed! Pics later!

Yep if you forget the parking brake the original engine would barely notice. I had to make it a habit to set the brake every time I got of and release every time I got on. Did all the bolts come out good.
Don

Yep if you forget the parking brake the original engine would barely notice. I had to make it a habit to set the brake every time I got of and release every time I got on. Did all the bolts come out good.
Don
Have one stripped hole, a 5/16-18 for the guard over the drive pulley. Have a heli-coil set on the way for it.

When I installed a new belt I did a test run before re installing that guard. I fiddled and fussed with the belt adjustment for a long time. It didn"t want to disengage completely. When I finally reinstalled the guard it straightened right out. The guard being close to the belt helps to stop the belt when disengaged.
Don

I don't think it's ugly, plus always better if you don't have to start chopping tin work. That hood would be hard to chop anyway as there's not much metal there with the louvers.

Back