So,,,,,,,, the Beepin potatoe bugs have started.

I just figured it up. Costs around $10.00 in gas to go to my sons and back.
So I have to do this for about 60 days going back and forth.
But I can do other things while there. But not every day.

Noel
Dust the potato plants with DE (diatomaceous earth dust). It will save you a bi-zillion trips over there.
The dust is like a bi-zillion microscopic knives that cut into all kinds of insects, even into larva.

We spread it on non-windy, dry days by hand as close to the plant leaves as possible.

50-lbs bag is $18.

Hehe. Yaaaa Roger. Soooo,,,, todays episode. 10 bugs today. So more every day. But was using sons car, easier on fuel, so it was $0.60 of gas per bug killin today. Any way. That enough of that foolishness.
Lit sister in laws propane oven pilot while I was there. It’s an old Enterprise model stove, with a BJC model oven thermostat, oven safety control. A lot of people find them hard to light if the pilot goes out. Stove is around the 1960 mark. No parts available for if any more. But it still works great. Not to bad, to get 60/65 years out of an appliance. And still going. Enterprise stoves we’re built in Sackville, NB, Canada. That plant burnt a number of years ago, and I don’t think ever reopened. Jumpins, I kinda got of track there.
Anyway, then I planted 3 Oak trees.

Noel

Dust the potato plants with DE (diatomaceous earth dust). It will save you a bi-zillion trips over there.
The dust is like a bi-zillion microscopic knives that cut into all kinds of insects, even into larva.

We spread it on non-windy, dry days by hand as close to the plant leaves as possible.

50-lbs bag is $18.
We use that stuff a lot works great

Not all DE are the same. Some are mixed with other things.

100% DE works. It's so white and fine like little glass crystals. When rubbed in your hands it's abrasive.

We've tried a brand that was a blend. It was a dull white and very ineffective.
There are different types of DE we also buy the food grade to add to the chickens feed and run area.

10 bugs today. I expect million babies in about week or so. The left over potatoes that were in last years garden that I grassed over are doin better than the ones I planted this year. Be a dozen or more have come up.

Noel

Back