Tractor comes home for a refresh.

Got a start on sanding. Gunna take a while. Hot and not as young when I use to do this more. Would be nice to have power tools to do the work, might be easier.

Will resand with 320 or something close, once all sanded, on goes the paint.

Noel

Attachments

• 12BF713D-8964-42CB-8D77-C3BCF371F607.jpeg
    12BF713D-8964-42CB-8D77-C3BCF371F607.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 78A4E523-12CA-4740-9252-F5A217FC3211.jpeg
    78A4E523-12CA-4740-9252-F5A217FC3211.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 8
A lot of orange paints have coverage issues almost as bad a yellow. May not hurt to primer first so it's all the same color for the orange to cover. Maybe you already know how well your paint will cover Noel, but I've had to deal with coverage issues a lot through the years.

DAC

Well what I’m worried about Doug is, my luck if I put primer on, and wait for it to cure, then put finish coat on, it will wrinkle. Has happen before to me. Seems for me any way, the more I fuss to do a good job, the more trouble I get. I am not well versed in paints. And how they react to each other.

Any information you could give me Doug is well appreciated.

Noel

Enamel base primers can only be top coated with enamel color. Lacquer base primer can be top coated with enamel or lacquer base color. I've had it happen too, Noel, grab a can of primer without looking at the label, then have the color lift it. A person just has to make sure that the primer and paint are compatible and somewhere on the label it should tell you. I try to just use a lacquer base primer all the time then there shouldn't be an issue.
Automotive primer spray bombs are normally lacquer base. Industrial and agricultural primers are often enamel.

I've got some enamel base primer I bought by accident, in a hurry, and learned the hard way. Still have some but pay attention to what color is going over it. I'm not familiar with the paint you are going to use. It might cover fine, but if it doesn't it may take a few coats to get the color even.

DAC

Will take me a while to digest all that Doug. Hehe. So if you have enamel primer and put lacquer paint over it, it will wrinkle. ? I’ll take a picture of the paint can tomorrow and instructions on it and will see what you think. My plan is to put two light coats, then a little heaver third coat. Can’t remember to use more or less thinner on last coat. And let it flash 20 minutes between coats.
Thanks Doug.

Noel

Will take me a while to digest all that Doug. Hehe. So if you have enamel primer and put lacquer paint over it, it will wrinkle. ? I’ll take a picture of the paint can tomorrow and instructions on it and will see what you think. My plan is to put two light coats, then a little heaver third coat. Can’t remember to use more or less thinner on last coat. And let it flash 20 minutes between coats.
Thanks Doug.

Noel
I figured you were going to spray bomb rather than use a gun, Noel, but the same things apply. Yes it will wrinkle when a lacquer is put on top of enamel. I use the term "lift". Your plan is a good one as far as the coats. I've never messed with changing the thinner mix. Just a little heavier spray on the final coat, and maybe hold the gun slightly closer to the surface. I'm no pro either far as painting vehicles, but I sprayed hundreds of electric signs, the plastic faces with the graphics and the sheet metal cans that the faces go into.

DAC

I still sort of undecided as to what to use Doug. But I think spray gun would be better. Paint would be thicker on the tractor. I find spray can paint thin and watery. But no mixing or clean up. Spray gun would be less expensive to buy the paint. I am going to use spray cans on some of the underneath and hard to get to parts. So I guess I’ve sort of answered my thoughts.

Son and I painted the rambler. So I should be able to get it done. Thanks Doug for your information and time.

Noel

Picture of the paint can Doug.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 4
I'm very sure it is an enamel and will go over any primer. Probably why there's not paint type information. They seem real confident on the coverage and adhesion, but sometimes when they say no primer needed on bare metal means the entire surface needs to be bare metal. There's big color contrast differences from the sanded old paint to bare metal. That's my concern about maybe needing a primer coat more than adhesion. Another concern is there are no thinning or spraying instructions. Take a little of that paint and see if mineral spirits or turpentine will thin it. It's enamel for sure then. Most any enamel reducer or thinner would work in it then. It says do not use a strong solvent paint over it and lacquer is a strong solvent paint so that indicates enamel too.

I'm probably making a complicated mess out of your simple paint job, Noel, sorry.

DAC

Oh no Doug, thanks very much for the information. What should I thin the paint with. Maybe I’ll take a picture of the stuff I was using to thin paint. And I may go to the store and take some pictures of primer and get your thoughts on that. Gray or red oxide primer. I understand your concern about the colour differences if not primed.
Thanks again.

Noel

If you have any enamel reducer, automotive type, that should work good. Turpentine and mineral spirits should work too. Any way you go, Noel, pour a little into a small metal or glass container and try mixing some first. I'm still just guessing since armor coat isn't clear on what type of paint it is, or how to mix it for spraying.

Our idiot parts man at work tested a paint/thinner mix on our work table in the repair shop a while back using a foam coffee cup. He then just left it sitting there, the cup melted, and you know the mess it made which he left for one of us to clean up. I went and told him to go clean up his mess and he said "one of you guys spilled it". He has never done anything wrong in his entire life and refused to do it. He is above me in the workers chain so I headed back to the shop but one of the other guys had cleaned it up when I got back. We watched this moron trying to change wipers on his company truck while they were running so that will tell you how his brain works!

Sorry, got off track!

DAC

Last edited:
Any body ever use Wurth paint. Son can get it at Ford where he works. They have a engine paint Chev orange, chev orange is suppose to be close match, in spray cans. What is your thoughts on Wurth paints. But is expensive. $18.00 per can Canadian.

Noel

I’m all over the place as to what to do. Thanks for your patience.

Any body ever use Wurth paint. Son can get it at Ford where he works. They have a engine paint Chev orange, chev orange is suppose to be close match, in spray cans. What is your thoughts on Wurth paints. But is expensive. $18.00 per can Canadian.

Noel

I’m all over the place as to what to do. Thanks for your patience.
Just a thought Noel but at 18 bucks a can you might as well (mayswell) lol go to HJV and get the AGCO version for the same price if they have the right color. I haven't used either but I'd ASSUME the AGCO would be right.

Hi Noel, can you get Rustoleum paints I use them for the most part and really like the paint one thing I like is after you prime you don't have to wait for it to cure you can spray the paint right on the primer as some as you finish priming and Rustoleum's Lobster Red is very close to Case Flambeau red

Hi Noel, can you get Rustoleum paints I use them for the most part and really like the paint one thing I like is after you prime you don't have to wait for it to cure you can spray the paint right on the primer as some as you finish priming and Rustoleum's Lobster Red is very close to Case Flambeau red
If I'm not mistaken, rustoleum makes Crappy Tire paint Noel. I use amour coat a lot but if I ever get to painting the 1655 I think I'll get a buddy to mix it up. You can buy spray cans & Liters at JVC but they're pricey

So kinda dragging my heels on this, but had wood dropped of Saturday, so spent Father’s Day and Monday part of Tuesday to finish it up. It was nasty stuff. Ends and pieces from a place called Wood Miller’s. They make cabinets and things. Some pieces as small as 2” blocks. Had to use a shovel to get it out of his trailer. Then the bigger stuff had to be cut up. Never again will I say yes to a load of that. If I had no wood that would be different. And potatoe bugs to kill, grass to cut, and and, !!! Hehe. Any way enough about that. I wish I could make up my mind on the paint. Any way. A little more detail stuff done. Took the model and serial plate off and fixed it up. For got to take before picture. These pictures are the cleaned one, then the clear painted one. I’ll get some aluminum rivets to put it back on. If I ever get the tractor painted.

Kindling and pieces of wood.

Noel

Attachments

• D1F940D6-C9D1-44CE-978C-D3C0933D1B06.jpeg
    D1F940D6-C9D1-44CE-978C-D3C0933D1B06.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 13C8938C-3276-4751-A9F7-19DDB4A0DA1F.jpeg
    13C8938C-3276-4751-A9F7-19DDB4A0DA1F.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 8
  • E41F7943-D14C-418A-9978-19865680867E.jpeg
    E41F7943-D14C-418A-9978-19865680867E.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 9