What are you currently working on??

Saturday, Raked the yard of leftover leaves and all the cottonwood branches that have dropped. I don't know-how these trees live with as many limbs I pick up constantly.
Screwed my back up sometime Friday or Saturday, barely slept last night and in good amount of pain just standing/walking so no work today and I may call off tomorrow and try to get into chiropractor.

I did work on my wife's Liberty last weekend.
I bought Moog upper control arms/ball joints. I replaced the one within 6 months ago, one of the bushings are already shot and causing a banging noise. Can't even buy quality name brand parts anymore.
I had a MOOG ball joint fail after 4000 miles city driving. Definitely not quality, just a name. Warranty only covers parts, not labor.

MOOG parts are made in 16 different countries. Including china and Taiwan. It’s not the same company and probably hasn’t been since 2001.

I googled this a couple years ago when a guy told me he only used MOOG parts and I said yeah they aren’t made in the US anymore. I remember buying some MOOG brand for my ranger and the box said made in china. He didn’t believe me.

I had a work in process wagon that needed finished. The wife will use it for working her flower beds. I had built a 2'x4' box to fit it.
The wife found a table runner design that she liked. so I used that as a pattern to decorate it. After laying out the pattern it took a few days to paint it. It has a removable handle, so it can be pulled by hand or with a G.T.
Nicely done Rick very creative. I bet that was fun drawing out the quilt patterns. I bought Carol one of those wire rack type wagons several years ago. She used it a few times but was way to heavy to pull around and she never cared for getting a tractor out. She said all I want is something small, lightweight, and easy to pull around. I got her a Gorilla cart which is a little pricey but very well built.

Attachments

• 5DDDB4D5-76B0-48FD-8DEF-4468C98AA642.jpeg
    5DDDB4D5-76B0-48FD-8DEF-4468C98AA642.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 12
I whipped up a few bird houses yesterday. I had some scrap treated poplar from some fence rails and some scrap tin from my shed. We had some fights last year between the Swallows and Blue Birds trying to use the same bird house. Maybe this year they can get along now.

Attachments

• C1CF1E8F-1CB1-4F91-BC37-F26D7EDBE618.jpeg
    C1CF1E8F-1CB1-4F91-BC37-F26D7EDBE618.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8671E5AD-5132-476F-8695-A312B417800C.jpeg
    8671E5AD-5132-476F-8695-A312B417800C.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2709A043-017D-43FC-BA8A-0784121590E4.jpeg
    2709A043-017D-43FC-BA8A-0784121590E4.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 4
Not sure your birds are going to like that tin roof as they like to land there. Hole for the Tree Swallows is recommended to be 1-1/8 high by 2' wide. The swallows can get in and out but dentures the sparrows. Nice looking bird houses and don't take much material. Later I need to build a couple to replace some that are falling apart from old age and use. Have some old barn boards that works great. We have Barn Swallows in this area. They build on about every building we have including the house. No mosquito problem either between them and the bats.

I've worked on some steps over the last week for our church stage. I made 2 when we built the stage last year (stage was 12" high, steps are 6") .
We also were given a sound booth, it's 16" high so I built 2-8" tall steps for it. Painted them on Weds, glued carpet on them yesterday.

Will be unloading this probably next weekend, 2 tons off 411 gravel (3/4" limestone with dust). My son was going to rent a dingo and do some driveway mods, but he didn't look at weather and got the gravel anyway.

20230311_110520.jpg

Old Dodge carries 2 tons pretty easily, not even down on helper springs and airbags have no air.
20230311_110603.jpg
20230311_110629.jpg

This is what we will be changing, moving flowerbed back to where the light strip is laying, make it kind of even with the other wall..The last pic is my side drive, I want to widen it about a foot and remove some of the curve.

20230311_110802.jpg
20230311_110734.jpg
20230311_110711.jpg

Did some interior house repair I've been putting off.

First, I never installed a transition on the step going into our bedroom when I installed the LVP.
I took a piece, cut to length then cut a 45* just below where the top of the step is then set my table saw and shaved all but the top layer off. Then heated it with the heat gun, folded it over and once it cooled, I installed with my brad nailer along with toe strips....much better.

20230311_130147.jpg
20230311_130209.jpg
20230311_140031.jpg

I had to make a custom door latch when I installed the sliding barn door last year, just a simple latch over a pin. Worked great, but the cat has recently learned if he pushes on door hard enough, latch would slide over pin and off opening the door. He does this at like 1 am.....I was done. Removed it today, welded on a small washer, then painted. Fixed his butt!!!

20230311_170128.jpg
20230311_170155.jpg

I have a WHOLE LOT of house repairs I gotta tend to this year. Been putting them off way too long.
Today is garage day, got my new heater box back together, all new foam seals and such, swapping heater boxes in my old truck to one that has AC.
I started with 3 factory ac heater boxes and will wind up with 2 good ones. One for my truck and one for the kid's. (His is already factory ac but his box needs to come out to clean all the leaves and such out so it can actually flow some air.
I have I heater box worth of junk parts. Cracked housing here, bad heater core there, bad diaphragm there for switching airflow, bad foam on the doors within, etc. I sacrificed the worst cracked up heater box (was busted up bad anyway) to cut out a small patch to fix one that had a small hole punched I to it...
Gotta get my table knocked down and tools out away cuz tomorrow is looking ugly.....
I think my son is bringing the daughter in law's Yukon over to use my lift, he's been complaining about loud exhaust lately, started out a little last week, but is all of a sudden much worse, sounds like I'm gettin suckered into an exhaust manifold job
Including having to drill out at least a couple of studs.... They have the bigger motor in there ... 6.0? 6.2? Something like that. Fun fun ...

Not sure your birds are going to like that tin roof as they like to land there. Hole for the Tree Swallows is recommended to be 1-1/8 high by 2' wide. The swallows can get in and out but dentures the sparrows. Nice looking bird houses and don't take much material. Later I need to build a couple to replace some that are falling apart from old age and use. Have some old barn boards that works great. We have Barn Swallows in this area. They build on about every building we have including the house. No mosquito problem either between them and the bats.
These are the same design as before and they kept coming back for 11 years and having 2-3 babies. Last year the bluebirds kept going in so I read this is common between the swallow family and bluebirds fighting over the same nest. They recommended adding one 25’ away so I have three spaced out along the back yard fence.

I have a WHOLE LOT of house repairs I gotta tend to this year. Been putting them off way too long.
Today is garage day, got my new heater box back together, all new foam seals and such, swapping heater boxes in my old truck to one that has AC.
I started with 3 factory ac heater boxes and will wind up with 2 good ones. One for my truck and one for the kid's. (His is already factory ac but his box needs to come out to clean all the leaves and such out so it can actually flow some air.
I have I heater box worth of junk parts. Cracked housing here, bad heater core there, bad diaphragm there for switching airflow, bad foam on the doors within, etc. I sacrificed the worst cracked up heater box (was busted up bad anyway) to cut out a small patch to fix one that had a small hole punched I to it...
Gotta get my table knocked down and tools out away cuz tomorrow is looking ugly.....
I think my son is bringing the daughter in law's Yukon over to use my lift, he's been complaining about loud exhaust lately, started out a little last week, but is all of a sudden much worse, sounds like I'm gettin suckered into an exhaust manifold job
Including having to drill out at least a couple of studs.... They have the bigger motor in there ... 6.0? 6.2? Something like that. Fun fun ...
My last work van was a 1992 Dodge B250 long bed. The last five years I drove it before I retired it had a broken header pipe bolt. It would run quiet for about a year then start getting loud. I would back the other studs out slightly then slide a new gasket in then it was good to go again. I done that three times before retired and I sold it. It was a tank and served me very well.

Last edited:
"header pipe stud"? You talking where the Y pipe bolts to the manifold? No studs there, they had thru bolts. And no gasket, the y pipe flange was bell'd out and the manifold was cast with a mating flange. No donut gasket needed too.
I had an 87 B250 window van several years ago , one that I should have never sold. Last year for carburetor 318. Was a damn good one. Don't remember what we wanted, that we sold that one in order to get, at the time.

"header pipe stud"? You talking where the Y pipe bolts to the manifold? No studs there, they had thru bolts. And no gasket, the y pipe flange was bell'd out and the manifold was cast with a mating flange. No donut gasket needed too.
I had an 87 B250 window van several years ago , one that I should have never sold. Last year for carburetor 318. Was a damn good one. Don't remember what we wanted, that we sold that one in order to get, at the time.
Sorry I meant bolts where the exhaust manifold bolts to the head.

I had an 87 B250 window van several years ago , one that I should have never sold. Last year for carburetor 318.
87 was not the last year of the 318 carb. Before my 92 B250 I also had a 1988 B250 with a 318 that had a four barrel carb. Even though I rebuilt the carb I can’t remember if it was a quadrajet or a thermoquad. My 92 had fuel injection.

I just finished up a snowmobile I was working on for a friend. Its rough from sitting outside, but he got it for nothing and it runs. It needed some work on the front suspension, trailing arms, tie rods, and a shock, a new seat, a pull starter rope, and the gas tank was full of water since the old cap was broken. We finally got (barely) enough snow yesterday, so I took it out for a test drive. It still needs a track, and maybe some work on the rear suspension, but we’re going to do that another time. It’s fine for now, he can use it if we get any snow.
9257C35F-65AD-4566-980F-50EB8540C1A6.jpeg9C33BB7B-6974-4B89-95ED-BE444ED3EC51.jpeg
While I had that out, I got mine out for the first time this year for a few laps around the yard too. We haven’t really had any decent snow this year, and what we did get was gone in a day or two.
8EEC4465-5D18-4478-B7B0-BB191EFEE74E.jpegDE3BBFD7-3874-469B-AF8C-5B0C15F0F83E.jpeg573D5C5D-B2B4-42DE-A0C0-55736B2A8638.jpeg

Last edited:
87 was not the last year of the 318 carb. Before my 92 B250 I also had a 1988 B250 with a 318 that had a four barrel carb. Even though I rebuilt the carb I can’t remember if it was a quadrajet or a thermoquad. My 92 had fuel injection.
Huh.... Every 88 318 I have ever seen in a truck/van has been that crappy TBI... The diplomats and the fifth avenue cars with 318s stayed carb'd all the way to their demise, in 89 the 88 pick up I had was the worst 1 Ive ever had, was 1st year for EFI. They say not to but any "1st year for a new system". Ran ok but was by far my worst gas hog.... My full time 4wds, my 78 dually were even better in that department. I can't say how much money I spent in just trying to improve on that one aspect, I wound up selling the truck because of it .... It's rare I don't keep a car or truck long enough to be the guy that takes it across the scale ... I generally run em right into the ground.
on your carb anything newer than 84 would have been a quadrajet. Thermoquads ended in 84. Which is a shame because I really liked those. Had great service out of them back in the day. I always hated any carb that said "HOLLEY" on them. Those are the ones I never had much luck with.

Huh.... Every 88 318 I have ever seen in a truck/van has been that crappy TBI... The diplomats and the fifth avenue cars with 318s stayed carb'd all the way to their demise, in 89 the 88 pick up I had was the worst 1 Ive ever had, was 1st year for EFI. They say not to but any "1st year for a new system". Ran ok but was by far my worst gas hog.... My full time 4wds, my 78 dually were even better in that department. I can't say how much money I spent in just trying to improve on that one aspect, I wound up selling the truck because of it .... It's rare I don't keep a car or truck long enough to be the guy that takes it across the scale ... I generally run em right into the ground.
on your carb anything newer than 84 would have been a quadrajet. Thermoquads ended in 84. Which is a shame because I really liked those. Had great service out of them back in the day. I always hated any carb that said "HOLLEY" on them. Those are the ones I never had much luck with.
My 88 was towed to the junk yard with 342k miles on it. Besides routine maintenance the only thing mechanical I had to do to it was replaced an alternator, power steering pump and transmission. It served me well.

I got bored today. I started pulling parts out of the corners and auditioning them together.
I've got hydro transaxle out of a Cub Cadet, an 18 horse Vanguard, a Cub Cadet front axle, a pair of 26-12-12 tires and rims, some Sears fenders, an old race car seat, and an old bus seat. Haven't looked steering yet , but I have a power steering set up from a Cub Cadet to play with.
Don't know if I want a "Swamp Rat" look or just a "Butt Buggy".

Attachments

• 20230401_165010.jpg
    20230401_165010.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230401_175048.jpg
    20230401_175048.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230401_175206.jpg
    20230401_175206.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_180559.jpg
    20230401_180559.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_180614.jpg
    20230401_180614.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_180630.jpg
    20230401_180630.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I got bored today. I started pulling parts out of the corners and auditioning them together.
I've got hydro transaxle out of a Cub Cadet, an 18 horse Vanguard, a Cub Cadet front axle, a pair of 26-12-12 tires and rims, some Sears fenders, an old race car seat, and an old bus seat. Haven't looked steering yet , but I have a power steering set up from a Cub Cadet to play with.
Don't know if I want a "Swamp Rat" look or just a "Butt Buggy".
I like the looks of that already. I want to build a bucket type roadster or rat rod so bad. A lot of the non running riding mowers would be a good candidate. That’s what my plan was for the Hoopdy I got but the darn thing runs and cuts so well I just couldn’t cut it up.

Back