What are you currently working on??

I finally got my DA 916 running yesterday after I put a new + battery cable on, Now I need to finish putting it back together and it will be good to g. I want to use it in the memorial day parade if posable with a sign honoring my brothers and FIL.

Update on my birdhouses. It’s been so much fun watching these birds fuss over who gets the house. Finally two bluebirds occupied two of them and a swallow has one. I watched a bluebird fly in last week with twigs about 3” long in its beak. The holes are 1 1/2” so he hit the wall once slightly then stepped back and shot through like a bullet. I was cutting grass yesterday and noticed some broken egg shells on the ground below the houses. So off we go with another nest of birds successfully. The pic is kind of blurry.716257BA-ABE5-4A84-9FB8-54BA171A12C2.jpeg

Installed new water heater this morning, last one was dated Aug 2017, didn't even get 6 yrs out of it. That's my problem with hard well water.
I pulled upper element to see if it was usable....I'd say no. Bottom was was still good, I replaced that one last year.
Top element, about done....
20230429_121829.jpg

I then made a 3 point handle extension for the Sears since I will be plowing and using the 3 point tiller. It's pretty lightweight so not sure if it will hold up to the tiller.

I plowed the old garden and open up some new ground, my sister's want a bunch of beans and stuff.
I has to fix the Purple Sears as I was plowing for my son's deer plot also, a lot of roots. Belt somehow jumped off axle pulley and jammed in belt keeper. I took it off in the field, but after 20 mins of fighting it, drove to house where I could work on it. Got it going again and after 3rd pass, hit another root and belt popped off. Grabbed the FF24, had my son helped my pull it to the barn and went into the house.

original garden
20230429_143228.jpg

New area
20230429_143252.jpg

20230429_170915.jpg
20230429_181658.jpg

Water heaters are perfect engineered obsolescence, Marty! We are on hard well water too. our first one lasted 25 years approximately. Second one was about 20 years and still going when we got rid of that trailer house. The new house had a "6 year" water heater in it, and it lasted 6 years and one month. Second one was a 12 year one and it lasted 12 years and 6 months. That was a little over a year ago. We bought a "Marathon" brand that our local REA sells. Plastic tank with a lifetime guarantee. All of the old ones had been leakers. Never had heating element problems. Hope the newest one is the last one!

DAC

We are on rural water, same as what they get in town but have a water softener also. Makes a big difference on how long items that use water last. Not to mention the softness of the clothes and use a LOT less soap. Showers are really nice as you actually feel clean. Would not be without it.

Been getting all the mowers, line trimmers, etc. ready for spring work. So far everything has started right off with last years ethanol with Sta-bail. Have one mower to go in the morning and all will be ready to start breaking down or quitting. Mowed for the first time today. Have to get my main mower in and change the oil, check the blades and replace the deck wheels.

Last edited:
Wasn’t going to do anything today because of the NASCAR race but I can’t just sit around. I had a few hours so I got my Simplicity 3415H out and pulled the deck off. I’m having trouble with my center spindle. It had what I thought was a bad deck lift cable so I bought one last week and installed that. After getting the old one off it was ok but for some reason the PO had a hose clamp on it that made me think it was bad. My muffler came loose from the exhaust pipe so I reconnected that. I was going to install the OEM fuel tank I also got last week but the temps were dropping fast, got windy and started to rain. It was a miserable gloomy day weather wise.

Attachments

• AAD482BD-C2D8-4DE8-9C83-CBDC2BC7C148.jpeg
    AAD482BD-C2D8-4DE8-9C83-CBDC2BC7C148.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 6
  • ACA6676A-D8A3-45C4-BFB5-52F1B65128D3.jpeg
    ACA6676A-D8A3-45C4-BFB5-52F1B65128D3.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E89FFDF7-F9C9-42B5-8D87-4762BCDE2876.jpeg
    E89FFDF7-F9C9-42B5-8D87-4762BCDE2876.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 6
Didn't do much today. Chilly and cold NW wind again. Took the tail gate lock out, got it and the lock freed up and working again. Tonneau cover I have coming lock's on the inside so wanted the tail gate lock functional.

Brand new water heater was producing a ton of air in the lines. I replaced the magnesium anode rod with aluminum tonight, hopefully that take care of the problem.
Old anode rod, it's already being eaten away super fast.
20230503_200104.jpg
20230503_200053.jpg

This was on old water heater, look at all the restrictions, there is no way you can properly flush it so I added a 1/4 turn ball valve.
20230503_200002.jpg

20230503_195941.jpg

I also have a problem, I bought this tonight, like I needed another. It was a former pulling tractor, has a non running twin Briggs and I think rearend is locked. It ended up being my buddy's grandpa's old tractor. His ex- cousin in law was selling it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

20230503_183036.jpg20230503_183026.jpg
344356313_6480610558666116_2790556926620391664_n.jpg

Brand new water heater was producing a ton of air in the lines. I replaced the magnesium anode rod with aluminum tonight, hopefully that take care of the problem.
Old anode rod, it's already being eaten away super fast.
View attachment 68334
View attachment 68335

This was on old water heater, look at all the restrictions, there is no way you can properly flush it so I added a 1/4 turn ball valve.
View attachment 68336

View attachment 68337

I also have a problem, I bought this tonight, like I needed another. It was a former pulling tractor, has a non running twin Briggs and I think rearend is locked. It ended up being my buddy's grandpa's old tractor. His ex- cousin in law was selling it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

View attachment 68338View attachment 68339
View attachment 68340
Looks like a nice project Marty hopefully you get it up and going without anything serious.

Fried a relay on the Elec-Trak E12s. Got a new in the mail today.
Now all I have to do is get the gumption to install it.
If you move the direction lever from forward to reverse before the motor stops it tends to blow a fuse.
It was doing well for quite a while, then boom it also fried the F/R relay.
I was used to the electric trucks at work that allowed you to move the direction control lever from full forward to full reverse or vise versa. It was referred to as "plugging" and provided the braking effect.
Cannot do that with this unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 4
Went to the local mower shop to buy a fuel shut off for a John Deere 110 that I was selling. bought one of the red ones. I have been having problems getting a good one. The owner said that over half of what he has been installing, leak when in the open position. Made in China junk. said if mine leaked to smash it with a hammer and he would give me a new one. While I was there he offered me a couple of the bowl style sediment filters with shut off valve. Said he has had them in stock for far too long and sold them to me at his cost. Made in Taiwan but bound to be better than the red plastic ones.

Attachments

• IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Went to the local mower shop to buy a fuel filter for a John Deere 110 that I was selling. bought one of the red ones. I have been having problems getting a good one. The owner said that over half of what he has been installing, leak when in the open position. Made in China junk. said if mine leaked to smash it with a hammer and he would give me a new one. While I was there he offered me a couple of the bowl style sediment filters. Said he has had them in stock for far too long and sold them to me at his cost. Made in Taiwan but bound to be better than the red plastic ones.
Were the red filters like these. I’ve put three on with good results except one now it’s hard to start. The reviews mentioned a few times about one or two out of six filters the fuel flow was restricted. Even though I heard your not suppose to use the clear paper element filter on a gravity flow carb which I had before with no problems I’m going back to that.

Attachments

• D8C4FD6B-943E-4118-85E0-0641DFF9D7C8.jpeg
    D8C4FD6B-943E-4118-85E0-0641DFF9D7C8.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 3
Used a can of expanding foam to close off all the open areas on the pickup box yesterday morning. Some had to be plugged with plastic bags dirst to get the foam to stay in. Will trim it off and if all closed up good will spray it black to match the bed liners that is on it. Trying to seal out as much dust as I can after I get the Tonneau cover on.

Were the red filters like these. I’ve put three on with good results except one now it’s hard to start. The reviews mentioned a few times about one or two out of six filters the fuel flow was restricted. Even though I heard your not suppose to use the clear paper element filter on a gravity flow carb which I had before with no problems I’m going back to that.
I had to go back and change that posting. I typed filter and was talking about shut off valves.
That is what happens when I post late in the evening when I should be in the recliner with my feet up and falling asleep watching TV!!

Last edited:
I had to go back and change that posting. I typed filter and was talking about shut off valves.
That is what happens when I post late in the evening when I should be in the recliner with my feet up and falling asleep watching TV!!
I put a shutoff valve on it too, now it might be it instead of the filter. I have one of those glass bowls on a Briggs 8hp on my tiller.

Back