What are you currently working on??

DT sounds like you had a good trip and made some good purchases. Carol has wanted a vintage camper to restore for years. We use to watch the trailer restoration show called Flipping Rv’s. If you have a “note” feature on your phone it’s a good place to have your “things to get “ or dimensions of what you need.

Oh yeah I forgot... Need a new Briggs v twin vertical shaft engine, mid 20s HP? That guy I saw today has 2-3 bakers style racks full of the them....
We've had 2 different 70s apache "hard side" or later were called "solid state" campers plus a couple we've parted out, now we have a '97 trail manor 3023.

Haven't done any tractor stuff since building the racks for the garden cart and prepping the s-word crew for the heavy white crap we got last weekend. It melted before I could move it, and since our daughter was in town for Easter, she did the hand shoveling for me! Been sitting at the computer a lot the last 3 days working on nominees for our local racing hall of fame meeting tomorrow morning. I'm one of 7 members on the board. Have to do that annually with an induction banquet being held in October. Spent a bunch of time loading music CD's on the PC to sync to one of the ipods yesterday for a drive we are going to do.

We will be going on a road trip later next week. Thursday morning we will drive to the Kansas City, MO area and spend the night there somewhere. About a 10 hour day driving plus we go into central time zone. Friday morning, we will go to Wheatland, MO to Lucas Oil Speedway for two nights of Dirt Late Model racing. Roughly 2 more hours. We rented a cabin right at the track so no driving around will be needed, and it was cheaper than motel rooms normally are. Wheatland is a very small town but has a world class dirt track facility. We haven't seen a good Late Model race in a long time so Loree and I are looking forward for a getaway to one. There will be modifieds and Vintage cars on the program too. Ought to be a fun time. A strange part of this trip is there is a Facebook friend we will meet there too. He shares the same first, middle and last name as I do---LOL! Met him on a FB dirt track group around 10 years ago, and now we will meet face to face.

DAC

Spent the day reclaiming my buried workbench.... Took longer than expected and doesn't look like I did as much as I did ... Got a 1/2 size one on the other side of the man door that has to be done next, it's piled higher than the one I got cleared up today. Sunday's supposed to be 90% chance of rain so maybe then.... Tomorrow is yardwork day 30 miles from here at the mother in laws house and my mom's house.... Supposed to be warmer tomorrow than today but not to start with....

Used the Sears with loader bucket, backed into the barn and winch switch stopped working, but the remote buttons worked fine. Proceeded to take apart switch , turn on ignition, and hit with test light. Worked fine....then it hit me, I had turn switch off which winch switch is connected to....DOH! Felt like an idiot.

Then I went to replace the drive belt on Purple Sears, got old belt off and grabbed the new belt I bought in the fall. Held them together and new belt was super long. Stupid me had bought the deck drive belt and not tractor drive belt.....DOH.

Yesterday was an idiot day for me..

No tractors to work on really. Did the plugs, oil change and transaxle fluid in the Deere a couple weeks ago. It’s good for a couple years again.

The BMW is up on jack stands. Doing some bearings, tie rod ends, and dropping the rear end to throw a new gear set and limited slip in it, a full service. Then a cut and buff and it’ll be ready for summer show season. My goal is to have it able to drive anywhere I want to take it. Last year I never ventured more than a 100 miles away.

Pretty soon we will go out and open the camper. I haven’t even been out there yet. Boat is wrapped and stored at the lake. Probably call and have them launch it next month. They will just tie it up at our dock.

Question
How come something seemingly (used to be) common as dirt, I can't seem to find a hi lift blade for a 21" push mower....... Either they have some kind of silly star shaped hole or it's one of a set of blades for a rider when I do find any?
Not looking for anything fancy, don't want the gator ste or a mulching blade, just a plain old 21" hi lift, with a 3/8" hole, I have 3 mowers here that could use new ones.

I keep trying to loosen that towing valve. I tap on it and keep putting pressure to it, but it is stuck!
In the mean time I have been dragging parts out of the corners and have decided to change this tractor somewhat.
I had a pair of 12” rims and tires from another project that went on the front. A pair of 16” spare tire rims from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with 6.00x16 tires went on the rear with 2” spacers. I have pair of fenders for a Cub Lo-Boy 154. After cutting the bottom off of them I made some brackets to attached them to the rear axle housing. Then used some all thread to brace against the tool box.

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 8
I used a rear cover from a Cub Cadet to make a seat bracket and found a large single seat spring to use.
Brother (Trail95) had an old seat pan that got donated. These got painted and were drying while I adapted the running boards
to fit with the new fenders. The seat bracket and spring got installed this morning while the seat and slot hitch were painted and drying. This afternoon I used the cutoff bottoms of the 154 fenders to add onto the hood. Took a lot of stitch welding and grinding. Tomorrow I hope to finish the body work on the hood.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 11
. Friday morning, we will go to Wheatland, MO to Lucas Oil Speedway for two nights of Dirt Late Model racing. Roughly 2 more hours. We rented a cabin right at the track so no driving around will be needed, and it was cheaper than motel rooms normally are. Wheatland is a very small town but has a world class dirt track facility. We haven't seen a good Late Model race in a long time so Loree and I are looking forward for a getaway to one. There will be modifieds and Vintage cars on the program too. Ought to be a fun time. A strange part of this trip is there is a Facebook friend we will meet there too. He shares the same first, middle and last name as I do---LOL! Met him on a FB dirt track group around 10 years ago, and now we will meet face to face.

DAC
Will probably be a couple Corning, Iowa drivers at the race at Lucas Oil Speedway. Last names are Dennis and Jackson. Both will have the long 3 axle enclosed trailers. Don't know what their car numbers would be. I was doing tech inspection when Jackson's Dad was driving Modified.

I used a rear cover from a Cub Cadet to make a seat bracket and found a large single seat spring to use.
Brother (Trail95) had an old seat pan that got donated. These got painted and were drying while I adapted the running boards
to fit with the new fenders. The seat bracket and spring got installed this morning while the seat and slot hitch were painted and drying. This afternoon I used the cutoff bottoms of the 154 fenders to add onto the hood. Took a lot of stitch welding and grinding. Tomorrow I hope to finish the body work on the hood.
Having fun watching this Rick coming together nicely.

Will probably be a couple Corning, Iowa drivers at the race at Lucas Oil Speedway. Last names are Dennis and Jackson. Both will have the long 3 axle enclosed trailers. Don't know what their car numbers would be. I was doing tech inspection when Jackson's Dad was driving Modified.
I will keep an eye out, Roger, and try to get pictures. I don't have an entry list yet, but with 7,000 to win Friday night and 20,000 Saturday night there should be a pretty good size list of entries. It is going to be televised on Flo Racing too.

Got some stuff done for the trip today and tinkered in the shop a bit too. I decided to take a stab at doing a cobble job repair on the original seat for the Craftsman GT5000. There was one big crack in it and one small one. I robbed a seat off of one of the LT's for it but wouldn't mind having the original one on it instead.
DSCN6184.JPG

Trimmed back the warped up plastic around the cracks and dug out the crumbling foam until I hit good stuff. Then I glued a pice fof new foam into the big crack with Seal-All. The small crack didn't need foam so it just got filled with seal all and let the glue self level as best as it could.
DSCN6185.JPG

Trimmed the foam off flush and added more seal All to fill the edges.
DSCN6191.JPG

After the seal all cured I wiped the areas down with glass cleaner and brake cleaner. Then some black Gorilla duct tape got stuck over the holes.
DSCN6192.JPG

Then I stuck some sign vinyl over the tape.
DSCN6195.JPG

Doesn't look good but the seat may last a bit longer now since the tractor is covered most of the time sitting outside.

Last time I used the old HF chop saw I was having to tap the motor to get it to run after pulling the switch. I figure this thing is around 20 years old and has had the motor brushes replace once. Figured it would need brushes again.
DSCN6188.JPG

Brushes still look pretty good, so cleaned the brush holders and brushes with various size erasers. Sucked out any stuff with the shop vac and put it back together.
DSCN6186.JPG

Knocked a big chunk of slag out of the saw bed shield that had been there for many years and growing all the time.
DSCN6189.JPG

It seems to be working right now but will see about getting another set of brushes coming to have on hand.

DAC

Did not get as much done today as I anticipated. The youngest great granddaughter was in attendance while her mom was at a doctors appointment. I did get the seat and spring installed.
Decided to make a cover for the area above the cooling fan.
The plow for my slot hitch is only 6”. I am golng to use the sleeve hitch instead. I got it cleaned and painted.
I trimmed out a plate to cover the opening in the top of the grill.
Will try to sand and prime the hood tomorrow. (Or the next day…or two)

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1104.jpeg
    IMG_1104.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1097.jpeg
    IMG_1097.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 9
Finished cleaning up two of the big stumps we had ground out. Got black dirt filled in in, leveled, seeded and some hay shook out over it. Will water it down good this morning as no rain in sight till Monday. Work on a GT with a Briggs 12.5 with a mouse hotel around the fly wheel. Carolyns yard donkey.

Got Loree's car fueled up, washed then brought it home and cleaned the inside. It will be getting around 1800-2000 miles put on it the next few days, going to Missouri and back.

The grass is taking off after the rains over the weekend so after her car went out, I took the body bag off of the freebie GT5000. Put the battery in it opened the fuel shutoff and it fired soon as the carb was full. Ran it empty last year when it got parked for the season. Backed it into the shop to check it out, lube zirks and just check it over. Will have to mow the day after we get home, I am sure, Probably Tuesday afternoon! Have a doc appointment in the morning.
IMG_1337.jpg

I'll use it for the first couple mows. When the ditch out front dries out, then the MF12G will get the job. Will not be able to mow while the eyes are healing up from cataract surgery but the guy I got the 12G from back in 2011 said he would come over and mow for me if the grass needs cut during that time. Says he thinks he remembers how to operate it---LOL!

Probably won't be back on until Tuesday evening.

DAC

Got Loree's car fueled up, washed then brought it home and cleaned the inside. It will be getting around 1800-2000 miles put on it the next few days, going to Missouri and back.

The grass is taking off after the rains over the weekend so after her car went out, I took the body bag off of the freebie GT5000. Put the battery in it opened the fuel shutoff and it fired soon as the carb was full. Ran it empty last year when it got parked for the season. Backed it into the shop to check it out, lube zirks and just check it over. Will have to mow the day after we get home, I am sure, Probably Tuesday afternoon! Have a doc appointment in the morning.
View attachment 80421

I'll use it for the first couple mows. When the ditch out front dries out, then the MF12G will get the job. Will not be able to mow while the eyes are healing up from cataract surgery but the guy I got the 12G from back in 2011 said he would come over and mow for me if the grass needs cut during that time. Says he thinks he remembers how to operate it---LOL!

Probably won't be back on until Tuesday evening.

DAC
Prayers for a good trip and all things go well with your eye surgery. Keep us updated.

Back