What are you currently working on??

That’s in nice shape the old Brinly products are built to last. I like that design of adjusting it out wider, real simple.
I just got all of the long straight sections and hitch cleaned up.

Found out why this didn't rust so bad over the years, it's heavily coated with lead based paint. Had to setup the air compressor, grind in only one direction and trap all of the white powered lead paint into a collector. Else, it would of been super easy with the power washer to strip it all.
It's everything on the black cart in the photo.

The difficult part is stripping the round shaft like parts from the paint. All the parts in the box.

I'll do 2-coats of primer and then a nice finish coat of the Club Cadet white it once had without the lead.

The carriage bolts I'll price at Menards or the H-D. Too pricey at ACE.

I like the original square nut on the back top. It came off easy after a soak in Deep Creep. Finding an exact replacement will be a chore.

Last edited:
I just got all of the long straight sections and hitch cleaned up.

Found out why this didn't rust so bad over the years, it's heavily coated with lead based paint. Had to setup the air compressor, grind in only one direction and trap all of the white powered lead paint into a collector. Else, it would of been super easy with the power washer to strip it all.
It's everything on the black cart in the photo.

The difficult part is stripping the round shaft like parts from the paint. All the parts in the box.

I'll do 2-coats of primer and then a nice finish coat of the Club Cadet white it once had without the lead.

The carriage bolts I'll price at Menards or the H-D. Too pricey at ACE.

I like the original square nut on the back top. It came off easy after a soak in Deep Creep.
TSC is my go to for hardware. I try and buy a pound or two of something every time I go.

We have TS in this part of the Midwest but scattered widely. 30+ miles to any of them and they are higher than Bomgaars all day long. Sprayer wand at Bomgaars is $10.95. 2 blocks away at TS same wand is $13.95. Buy very little at TS. Orscheln's used to be real good price wise, and everything but they sold a bunch of stores to TS. Only have a few of their biggest stores left. Family owned like Bomgaars.

Put a new piston pump seal kit in my Solo 425 Backpack sprayer. It wasn't building much pressure. After replacing all of the seals on the piston I gave it a test and had very little improvement. Put some soapy water in it with the lid off and as I pumped it would show leaking out the top of the pressure tank relief valve. Pulled the cap off and found the rubber seal was breaking up. Cleaned out the pieces, put the new one in, and now it builds pressure like it did when it was new. I had noticed some tiny black crumbs in the tank the last couple of times I used it and thought I must have had a dirty container for my chemical measuring. Now I am sure it was this rubber seal falling apart.

Replaced the rusted out gas strap on the Dodge and got my new to me wheels/tires cleaned polished and swapped on the truck.

Here is the 3 phases its been through.

When bought,
20190921_090615.jpg

With the offset 18x9 wheels and hybrid tires,

20230120_161917.jpg

Now, with stock 3rd gen Cummins rims and oversize tires.20240504_183929.jpg

Took 2 rider mowers (a Dixon and the Husqvarna I've been fighting with) across the scale as soon as they opened. Not crazy bad problems but I've had my share with them.
Went up and mowed Mom's, monster in law's yards, picked up Mom's 2 busted mowers and brought them home to fix (again, thanks to neighbor) came home and mowed and weed eated my own yard.
Took camper down as my wife is panicking about the thunder storms they claim are coming in shortly.... Had it up as neighbor is making curtains, so she can go in and measure/ test fit as needed...

Mom's in hospital right now, probably easier to list problems she don't have.... Was up there last nite, this place is most anal about the "only 2 visitors at a time" crap/ we had to wait in lobby for my brother to turn in his pass before they'd let both me and my wife go up to the room...
I'm going there as soon as visitors are allowed in the morning.

Yesterday mowed the grass with the MF7. First time for the backyard and 2nd time for the front yard. I went to use the old MTD mower yesterday, the engine fired up but the tractor would not move. It has a single speed rear axle, I verified the pulley on top was moving but it still would not move in forward or reverse. I pushed it to the side of the house so I could get it down to the garage. I live on a hill once the mower started going down-hill I released the brakes are not working very well, I made it to the garage without tipping it over. Took the rear axle out and took it apart and besides the gobs of 40 year old grease I have not seen any issue. I took the rear axle and differential apart, gears and pins are tight, the nuts that hold the gears on the end of the shaft are tight. Time to do some more research.

Today was spent trying to figure out the electric power lift on the MF12 hydro, the motor that runs it quit. I made the mistake of taking the whole thing apart vs just taking the motor off. I replaced the motor brushes and have the motor working but the cylinder will not lift any type of load. I moved it to the back yard for now. I fired up the old MF10 and mounted the mowing deck to it and brought it to the garage for an engine oil change along with oil change in transmission. Both needed done, transmission oil was white and engine oil was on the thin side.

Yesterday mowed the grass with the MF7. First time for the backyard and 2nd time for the front yard. I went to use the old MTD mower yesterday, the engine fired up but the tractor would not move. It has a single speed rear axle, I verified the pulley on top was moving but it still would not move in forward or reverse. I pushed it to the side of the house so I could get it down to the garage. I live on a hill once the mower started going down-hill I released the brakes are not working very well, I made it to the garage without tipping it over. Took the rear axle out and took it apart and besides the gobs of 40 year old grease I have not seen any issue. I took the rear axle and differential apart, gears and pins are tight, the nuts that hold the gears on the end of the shaft are tight. Time to do some more research.

Today was spent trying to figure out the electric power lift on the MF12 hydro, the motor that runs it quit. I made the mistake of taking the whole thing apart vs just taking the motor off. I replaced the motor brushes and have the motor working but the cylinder will not lift any type of load. I moved it to the back yard for now. I fired up the old MF10 and mounted the mowing deck to it and brought it to the garage for an engine oil change along with oil change in transmission. Both needed done, transmission oil was white and engine oil was on the thin side.
If it's the same type of electric lift used on John Deere 110, 112, and 200 series you might not have the spring that goes between the motor drive and the lift drive. I had a few apart on my JD's and if the spring is not lined up right or broken, the lift doesn't work.

Last edited:
If it's the same type of electric lift used on John Deere 110, 112, and 200 series you might not have the spring that goes between the motor drive and the lift drive. I had a few apart on mt JD's and if the spring is not lined up right or broken, the lift doesn't work.
They look to be different from the JD ones. IMG_20240419_121649654.jpg
This is what the massey one looks like, sorry for upside down picture. It has a Prestolite part number on the tag but i have not been able to find any type of manual for it.

IMG_20240419_121649654.jpg

I started up my 1994 Ford Ranger last week and no power steering and the alternator light was on. I thought oh crap I know what this is. When I put my new radiator in a couple of weeks ago I noticed my tensioner pulley was kind of crooked but functional. I had planned on ordering one but forgot about it. I really didn’t want to raise the hood. I’m thinking my new serpentine belt shredded, blades on my new fan broke, and new radiator gouged. All was good and the belt just laying there and no damage anywhere except the tension pulley was gone. That was a big blessing because we just got home the evening before with no problems. I had to get this fixed so I had to pay twice what I could have ordered one. $57. instead of $23.-$32.

Thursday we were going to pick up some flowers, feed, and some large items at Costco. I went to start the same truck and click click no start. I took the battery cables off and cleaned them and it started. I get cleaned up Carol gets back in and again click click no start. I know my battery is good but tried jumping it and it started. I get cleaned up again we get in same thing again now I’m confused. I tried jumping the starter solenoid on the side of the fender and nothing. I checked and I had power going in and power coming out. I got Carol back out to hold the key on and I took a wooden stick and as soon as I touched the wires at the starter it started. I jacked it up and found the small wire plug just sitting on top of the starter tab. I pushed it back down and we were good to go.

I started up my 1994 Ford Ranger last week and no power steering and the alternator light was on. I thought oh crap I know what this is. When I put my new radiator in a couple of weeks ago I noticed my tensioner pulley was kind of crooked but functional. I had planned on ordering one but forgot about it. I really didn’t want to raise the hood. I’m thinking my new serpentine belt shredded, blades on my new fan broke, and new radiator gouged. All was good and the belt just laying there and no damage anywhere except the tension pulley was gone. That was a big blessing because we just got home the evening before with no problems. I had to get this fixed so I had to pay twice what I could have ordered one. $57. instead of $23.-$32.

Thursday we were going to pick up some flowers, feed, and some large items at Costco. I went to start the same truck and click click no start. I took the battery cables off and cleaned them and it started. I get cleaned up Carol gets back in and again click click no start. I know my battery is good but tried jumping it and it started. I get cleaned up again we get in same thing again now I’m confused. I tried jumping the starter solenoid on the side of the fender and nothing. I checked and I had power going in and power coming out. I got Carol back out to hold the key on and I took a wooden stick and as soon as I touched the wires at the starter it started. I jacked it up and found the small wire plug just sitting on top of the starter tab. I pushed it back down and we were good to go.
Good to hear it was just the idler. I have a '91 ranger that I just replaced the solenoid for the second time. I would get the same clicking but after a couple tries it would start. Well, after about a year of running it that way it got to where it wouldn't start even after 10-20 attempts. Finally bought a new solenoid and it starts every time. We also had the same thing happen on our '89 F-250. We took a solenoid from the '88 F-250 and it was bad also. Another new solenoid and it starts as it should. Took the old solenoids apart and found the contacts were black and sooty from arcing.

Back