What did you do with your tractor today?

That would work OK, except that the garden is about 100 yds from where the leaves are around the house & shop. I burn the old vines, plants, etc in the garden. Use propane torch for that but have to pick the right time as I have dry CRP on two sides. Don't want to set the whole section on fire. Ashes from leaves don't leave much behind. Mulching them would work a lot better probably if they were still green or at least some green. Never mulched successfully so don't know much of anything about it.

Last edited:
Suposed to be decent tomorrow so the plan is to run a bunch of wod through the spliter first off, the fire the Bolens QT16 up and mow the garden as short as I can get it. After that is will be plow time probably Monday. Chief's play at noon and 1:30 the cup race starts.

I'm behind the 8 ball with the weather changing quickly so decided to get some wood split. I've had some locust and ash that's been sitting 2 or 3 yrs decided to clean it all up. Used the Sears to pull the splitter around. The area under cover at the back of the splitter got raked and is now full of wood. I have some more to split so I'll take pics when I'm done.
They long covered row is last yrs stuff, it will all get cleaned up and consolidated in a shorter pile.

20191102_112018.jpg
20191102_112048.jpg
20191102_112037.jpg

I paln on getting another Ranger box full of wood in the morning. 90% of what I have is split already but length is to long, so have to cut about 6" off and then re-split a bunch for starter wood. Need to start picking up the apples from under the trees and treat the small young trees to keep the deer off them. Need a fresh batch of sorry deer mixed up too.

Got the QT16 out and mowed up the remains in the garden. Will have to pick up some of the heavy vines yet or they will plug the plow. Run the 1512 Cub up to the shop area to give it a good bath for storage. Battery was down on the plow tractor so put the charger on it. Needed to move the White 1655 so I could get the plow mounted on the Bolens 1250. Battery was OK on it but right after it started a plastic fuel line fitting broke and started to spray gas all over the place. Needs a new fuel line which it will get tomorrow. Will plow the garden tomorrow when I get back from picking up another ton of wood pellets. Tomorrow evening I am going deer hunting.

Was getting the Wheel Horse C160 out to clean and remove the tiller. One-year-old Duralast gold battery from AutoZone was toast. It was kept on a tender all last winter, GT was used earlier this year to till the garden. Battery would not take a charge. Looked up the warranty on the battery.... 3 MONTHS!!!!! I guess they know they sell a piece o’crap. Never again!!!
Grabbed the fairly new one out of the Cub Cadet 123 (that needs a new right front axle) and it fired right up. I cleaned up the tiller and got it stored away, got the front blade out and more accessible, but ran out of light before I could get it mounted on the C160, in anticipation for snow this winter.
Meanwhile, also removed the bagger from the Craftsman PGT9000 and put it away.
I am hoping to get the Speedex 1631 out soon and plough the garden..... hopefully that will help with the weeds next year.
Off to local Battery Outfitters shop for a new battery tomorrow..... hopefully will have better than a stinkin’ 3-month warranty on their GT batteries.

It is amazing how much wood ready to burn one can get out of trunk blocks like you have on the ground there. I actually like to split them up better than the 6-8" logs as you get a lot more wood for the work.

I split into smaller logs as my daughter feeds the fire while she is home during the day, easier for her. I also have to carry wood down steep stairs into basement, smaller logs are easier. I do split some larger stuff for the overnight burns.

Was getting the Wheel Horse C160 out to clean and remove the tiller. One-year-old Duralast gold battery from AutoZone was toast. It was kept on a tender all last winter, GT was used earlier this year to till the garden. Battery would not take a charge. Looked up the warranty on the battery.... 3 MONTHS!!!!! I guess they know they sell a piece o’crap. Never again!!!.......
Off to local Battery Outfitters shop for a new battery tomorrow..... hopefully will have better than a stinkin’ 3-month warranty on their GT batteries.......

Now THIS is more like it.... Pro-Series L&G battery, 450 CA, 360 CCA, ONE YEAR WARRANTY, for the same price as the Dura(not)Last!
image.jpg

Battery was low on the Bolens G12 as it had not been used since late spring. Got it charged up and fired the tractor up for receiving the plow. Got on part of the garden turned with no problem. Started in the bigger part that I had mowed all the left over garden stuff thinking I could plow it under. Wrong ! All it did was bunch up and plug the plow. So much for plowing under mulch. Will go back to goat manure on after it is plowed. Got the burner out and turned all the cut up stuff into ashes. Will finish plowing it this morning. Work duty for that tractor is done for the season unless I need it for the second snow thrower.

Finished [plowing the garden this morning. Worked a lot better with the bulk of the grassy stuff burned but still had a plug a couple times. One area was a little wet yet but turned over ok. That equipment is all back in for winter storage. Have help coming Saturday right after dinner to help get the ton of wood pellets down in the basement. Slide the plastic bags down a sheet of roofing steel with silicone sprayed on the ribs. Beats the heck out of carrying them down the steps.

Only use the tractor get during the winter is snow duty. The Polaris Ranger is way handier by far to haul the feed to the critters, wood to the house, etc. Use it to get to may hunting areas also. Starting out 25° warmer this morning (23°) than yesterday so will bring the Sears walk behind snow blower up to the garage to be ready when the snow does hit. I will be handier to clear the garage door and make walking paths down/up hill, etc. Ever use a tractor & thrower to make a path down hill to a gate and find you can't get away from the gate and can't go through it either?

I paln on getting another Ranger box full of wood in the morning. 90% of what I have is split already but length is to long, so have to cut about 6" off and then re-split a bunch for starter wood. Need to start picking up the apples from under the trees and treat the small young trees to keep the deer off them. Need a fresh batch of sorry deer mixed up too.
What concoction do you use to deter the deer with ?

What concoction do you use to deter the deer with ?
Just read this, sorry for the delay Shane. 1 - egg; 1/2 cup milk; 1 tbs cooking oil; 1 tbs dish detergent; 1 gal. water. Beat egg & milk together - add oil and detergent. Add this to the water stiring while adding. Store in closed container. Shake well before using. Apply to trees, plants, etc. with spray bottle. Repeat every 2 weeks of after a hard rain. It works for us.

Back