What the best?

Ky wil

To start out I mow probably an acre and1/2. Iv been mowing most of my life with tractors and either finish mower or belly mower and honestly I'd rather keep doing it that way. Now that we have kids that big enough to get out and play with out siting and watching them all the time the toys and other assorted things around the house are getting to be a pretty big problem. It is getting to be a pain to mow around the swings sand box, trampoline and all with the tractor, and it getting to be more work than I want to mower with a push mower. Iv been thinking about getting a gt or maybe a lawn tractor, but I want something older that be easy to work on. It won't be mowing the whole yard but just about 1/4 acre or so. Just wondering what ever ones input are on what better to be looking at. Iv had a couple ol cub cadets but other than an old snapper and throw away mower iv not had much experience with them. Like to know what be the best to look for. Thank Wil

That small of an area just about anything would work. I am partial to john deere 110s and any of the 1xx series of cub cadets.

I refuse to out a swing set or sandbox in the yard. I told my wife when she or they cut the grass we can get that stuff.

With just a 1/4 acre to mow I would probably restore something like those older snapper rear engine riders, or similar, most of then turn fairly tight around objects, easy to get on/off, easy to maintain, cheap to run.. and available in most any brand..... pick your favorite color;)

I keep meaning to drag out this old Columbia and see if it runs.... dragged it home pushed it into the shed....... about 4 years ago

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 7
That small of an area just about anything would work. I am partial to john deere 110s and any of the 1xx series of cub cadets.

I refuse to out a swing set or sandbox in the yard. I told my wife when she or they cut the grass we can get that stuff.

I grew up without swings and all but bc it wasn't in the budget. And it was boring as f#$& so I don't mind. Plus I get more toys too this way lol. I'd like a narrow frame cub or a sears but idk how practical it would be.

I grew up without swings and all but bc it wasn't in the budget. And it was boring as f#$& so I don't mind. Plus I get more toys too this way lol. I'd like a narrow frame cub or a sears but idk how practical it would be.

We have a community park right up the road. They play there. All my friends who have that stuff say their kids rarely mess with it.

I have 5.5 acres with about 1.5 of lawn, I use the 854 wheelhorse mechanically simple to work on and you can find parts easily. we went through the swingset and sandbox phase, now the front yard is a soccer field

Attachments

• 20180813_201036.jpg
    20180813_201036.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 6
That would be a good thing about living in a city. But we live out in the middle of nowhere. It 18 miles to the nearest park, or anything really lol

We are 17.5 miles to the nearest big town, grocery store, mall, ect.. But our community of maybe 50 families pitched in together and built a small park and ball field on donated land. Volunteers maintain it with their personal equipment.

I actually get quite a few people looking for the little RERs so they sell pretty fast, had this little Bolens awhile back also....

View attachment 6159
Boy your really selling those RER's lol. They are good little mowers one like that snapper with the grass catcher would be the most practical. Plus it would contribute to my compost pile, but my heart is more in something like that wheel horse

We are 17.5 miles to the nearest big town, grocery store, mall, ect.. But our community of maybe 50 families pitched in together and built a small park and ball field on donated land. Volunteers maintain it with their personal equipment.

A place like that would be a great place to live unfortunately around here no one willing to donate anything ,and in all honesty it would just be a place for the drug dealers around here to hang around sadly.

I'd like that Wheelhorse myself Lol

Dont get me wrong... I luv the old iron and I make a pretty good living buying them, fixing them up, and flipping them, right now I have.... an early 60s Allis Chalmers B10, a '70 Cub Cadet 127, a '72 JD 110, a '72 Ford LGT... and several more a little bit bigger....

but... for 1/4 acre with all the things you mentioned that you need to drive around?? Nope, you will be constantly backing up and taking several passes to get close to obstructions... that or spending alot of time with a weed whacker.

Old school tractors are fun to own... they just arent the most convenient units for mowing around obstacles, great for a snowplow, snowblower, tiller, bottom plow or even just a wagon puller... but an RER will run circles around them, and they can be fun to own and use aswell.

I recommend an RER for cuttin the lawn AND an old school tractor just for fun....

020.JPG

Lance, you probably 100% right. I know my old cc original really doesn't turn any sharper than the b allis I mow with know. In all rights I should break down and buy a zero turn and mow the whole yard no more than I have. The only reason I don't is sear hard-headed Ness lol , same reason iv never broke down and got Facebook just like being different and maybe difficult lol.

The other option iv consider was a gravely but that be a lot of walking also lol.

Back