What the best?

While I would normally say get an old GT would be great, with you mentioning all the thing you need to cut around, I would suggest a small zero turn or a decent walk behind. I use my Sears Suburban to cut my yard and there is a lot of stopping, shifting, turning, back and forth to cut around tress, etc. Anything hydro would be nice in this case so no shifting gears.
If you still want a GT, look for a Simplicity or AC, they mow the best of any GT I've seen.

I Mow about 2+ acres with a Cub 1512 tractor with center 50" deck. With all the trees, bushes, fire pit swing set, play house, mower shed, etc. etc. there is not much we don't get with the tractor type mowers. Do very little backing but I do slow down when I get to a tree, etc. and cut around it as close as I can. Cross cut most of it when done. Use a push mower for close quarters around clothes line pole, bush, tree and in the dog pen, and swing set probably - 20 min total. If you think ahead when placing items in the yard they don't cause much problem if you know how to run your mower.

If your plan is to mow a 1/4 acre of land, and the other acre for garden? toys? house and house accessories? or like on mine, boats, car projects, etc?

A poorly built mower deck such as a common cheap rider these days could cost a couple hundred dollars every couple of years to maintain/rebuild.

A 1/4 acre is almost too small to use a rider on efficiently, but if you did a rider a small mower deck I think would be preferred so as to have better control of your cut when in so many turns and small areas.

I think the most efficient way to mow 1/4 acre might be a push mower and one that usually gets overlooked but is very cheap under many different names such as Bolens or yard machines, etc, but is MTD, I think. I n the picture you see the Husqvarna all wheel drive self propelled overpriced $350 push mower and the Lowes special $125 Bolens push mower.

The Husqvarna works very well, no complaints except this, it is so heavy that something so simple has been made so hard for very little benefit. The Bolens on the other hand is so light that it is very little effort and with the Northern Tool rear cart wheels (with ball bearings) it will roll on its own when you give it a push and let go. Sure it is loud, and vibrates and the paint was me and my son. I know its not sexy but you can always add fancy letters if it needs it.

The Husqvarna might outlast that Bolens because no one in my family wants to use it since the little Bolens is so light and easy even though It was the point of some jokes by my two boys at first (one in college and one almost there, they think they know everything, just ask them:)). By the way, the Bolens just won't quit, I think the mower deck will fail before the cheap Briggs, but it works.

So my logic is this, mower decks on riders are a pain to keep running with extra expense for very little possible benefit (1/4 acre), unless you pony up for a deck that has cast iron, quality bearings, proper engineering to last, and the machine attached to it will also be very spendy, quality costs (I've learned this lesson with my GT). If a Bolens costs you $125 every two years (because you throw it away and buy another) then you have very little maintenance (personal time) and the grass gets cut. A good GT may be easier to find if you aren't strapped to get a mower
deck, or a deck that needs a lot of work.

A GT such as some of these that have been mentioned would be very useful, I too, through experience, have become a believer in the older steel. Many of these machines would be indispensable in all the uses around the yard to include toy round up time with a large yard trailer and such.

IMG_0703.JPG

GT, I'm not really good at the guess a amount of land. i have on this plot little over 4 acres 4.3 I think. I may be wrong on the 1/4 acre or maybe your thinking 1/4 including the obstacles and I mean what the actual amount the mower traveling over is that but , either way it would take me most of a day to mow what I'm wanting to with a push mower. It doesn't take me but 2 hrs with the tractor know so that no improvement. Usually about 2 hrs with the b allis and 5 ft finish mower and about 2 hrs trimming with a combo of a push mower,string trimmer, wheeled string trimmer. It was about 1 1/2hrs mowing with a 6ft belly mower. But that's in first gear. And every other time I mow, I mow the Rd ditch and bank with the farmall cub and the #22 sickle mower.

and a Farmall Cub... cool, I knew about the Allis but not the Cub... I have a later model Cub Loboy.

and I still think you should at least look into the little RERs... an old one tho... something that will still be fun to restore and use. I have a 3 acre main yard with lots of junk to go around and I always test everything before tagging it for sale.... and those little ones are great in tight spaces... very rarely need to shift or use reverse. For me the bigger rear steer Deutz does everything I need and doess it in half the time of a tractor... they are more comparable to a ZT.

Ahh, you got the big guns deployed already and so small is better than midsize. This changes what I was going to suggest, like a 200 series JD or an Ariens like I have. JR has a rear engine rider and while it turns sharp gets into corners easy and all that. I hate driving it. Totally not designed for adult comfort.

Ahh, you got the big guns deployed already and so small is better than midsize. This changes what I was going to suggest, like a 200 series JD or an Ariens like I have. JR has a rear engine rider and while it turns sharp gets into corners easy and all that. I hate driving it. Totally not designed for adult comfort.

That my worst problem with the RER I'm a kinda husky guy and them feels like I should be pushing them along instead of riding on it lol. I had a old jd RER, I don't remember the model but it had to be one of the first from deere. It was kinda cool looking little unit should of keep it. And yes the I got the big guys cover it the cub and b won't handel it the 806 will

GT, I'm not really good at the guess a amount of land. i have on this plot little over 4 acres 4.3 I think. I may be wrong on the 1/4 acre or maybe your thinking 1/4 including the obstacles and I mean what the actual amount the mower traveling over is that but , either way it would take me most of a day to mow what I'm wanting to with a push mower. It doesn't take me but 2 hrs with the tractor know so that no improvement. Usually about 2 hrs with the b allis and 5 ft finish mower and about 2 hrs trimming with a combo of a push mower,string trimmer, wheeled string trimmer. It was about 1 1/2hrs mowing with a 6ft belly mower. But that's in first gear. And every other time I mow, I mow the Rd ditch and bank with the farmall cub and the #22 sickle mower.

I understand, it almost sounds like you are mowing 1 to 2 acres and a push mower would be a full time job. I think Lance may have been on point with the rear steer in a crowded yard or a yard with many obstacles. I saw one in action and it looks like it is very precise unlike a deck on the belly.

I was thinkin you were still going to be using the Allis for most of the mowing and are just looking for something smaller for the tight spots, but also want a fun project. An RER is small... kinda like riding around on a kitchen chair... but thats exactly why they work so much better than a small tractor, OK so maybe they dont have the same 'Cool' factor.... but you would have more time to work on other projects.... get BOTH ;)

Nice 806 :D

I was thinkin you were still going to be using the Allis for most of the mowing and are just looking for something smaller for the tight spots, but also want a fun project. An RER is small... kinda like riding around on a kitchen chair... but thats exactly why they work so much better than a small tractor, OK so maybe they dont have the same 'Cool' factor.... but you would have more time to work on other projects.... get BOTH ;)

Nice 806 :D
No your right I'm going to do the majority of the mowing with the b probably, it just right around the house, garage and barn is all there so much stuff jumbled up it a real pain I first said 1/4 but it probably 1/2 of an acre just looks smaller since it got so much crap on it lol. And I'm not ruling out a RER you doing a good sales pitch lol.

for a whole 1/4 acre? cmon now... youre overthinking this... a good (gas powered) push mower...
I've mowed 3 acre lots with them more than once, with a 22" (no, not self propelled either) though not in 30 years.... but for 1/4 acre? too small for much of any ride on mower.... when I was 18 I had a 3 acre yard I did that whole summer... by myself with just that 1 machine. usually it was a mid 70s Craftsman with alloy deck, sometimes it was a Toro Whirlwind. I have about 1/3 acre, about 1/2 of it mowable, and have had many ride on machines.... and have gone back to a push mower.

Cvans... yep I agree... the wheels are too small so the Sunrunners dont ride as nice as a small tractor.... but a comfy seat does improve that... AND Ive got another plan in the works to mount a pair of 12" rims on there..... but thats for another thread.

dodge.... Ky wil ruled out a push mower in the first post... thats what he is trying to avoid.

Ky wil... hey if you were closer I would say come by for a demo.... then maybe I could actually make a sale... I got all sizes. Lol

Dodge, if time wasn't a issue I'd probably do a lot more push mowing but. By the time I work 50hr come home to farm part time and spend any significant time with wife and kids. saving time with mowing, even if it 15 mins once a week worth a couple hundred bucks to me. It will add up.
Lance, if I was close you probably get sick of me looks like it be a cool place to hangout lol. I do like the looks of those with the deck on the front, I don't believe I seen one in person.

Bolens made a cute little articulated mower with the deck out front... like a mini Estate Keeper, I didnt have a deck for mine so the kids used it to pull wagons around... I didnt like the cable steering on it much.

Ford had some RERs also... not sure who actually built them.

The Sunrunner/Deutz/Agco mowers are big enough you could use one for everything, I do, and although they do have small tires they actually can climb hills and go thru the rough stuff... but the ride isnt the best. First time I used one was about 3-4 years ago and now I collect any that I can find... up to #7 so far... Ive sold two but I always make sure there is at least one here ready to go. Have one with the rear dump cart but I found it to be too big and often hits things when doing the tight spots... the wooden rails are less likely to hit anything AND you can carry a whole case of beer.Lol

2015-05-13 13.36.44.jpg$_59.jpg002.JPG

I'm pretty sure this is just like that little jd RER I had. Never use it got it with a bunch of stuff. pretty sure it had been sitting several years, but I keep it a long time thinking I'd findly fix it but never did.

Back