And more junk.

Taking off work don't bother me a bit since I have vacation days saved up! Especially when the weather sucks, but also driving in that will be a bit stressful pulling the trailer in 30-40 mph wind. There will certainly be ground drifting and the air temp high is only forecasted to be 19F! Supposed to not get any more s-word at least. Got to keep in mind, the main reason for bidding on this stuff was to help raise money for the 3 cousins of my wife that will be the beneficiaries of this auction. We will also check on my wife's mom and stepdads place next door to this auction. They moved into Hot Springs about 2 months ago and have their old place up for sale.

Thanks Chris, since we only have one day off a week from work at the same time, it will be a good trip even with the crappy weather. Unfortunately, she will have to go to work when we get back home! She's working a couple hours later tonight so she can go in a couple hours later tomorrow. Her normal workday starts at 2 pm.

Truck and trailer are ready to go. Will just need to grab my Ipod for some tunes! Local radio sucks! She has satellite in her car, but I don't in the Denali.

DAC

View attachment 61780
My bad Doug I’m sorry I forgot that was a benefit auction to help her family. By all means it would be a worth while trip. Let us know when you return.

My bad Doug I’m sorry I forgot that was a benefit auction to help her family. By all means it would be a worth while trip. Let us know when you return.
I sure didn't mean for you to have to apologize for anything Jim! Those girls, even though they are adults, have been struggling with the death of their mom, and the one that has to most knowledge about how to do this stuff lives in Omaha. Just moved there earlier this year from Alaska. She has come out here to handle the sale and get the proceeds divided up and all of this put in the past. It's almost done now, and they will be able to move on.

I will report when we get back home. I hope that we get back soon enough where Loree can help me carry the corner cabinet into the house. That's the only thing that I need help with unloading. The windmill and camper jacks can stay on the trailer even. Small junk I can haul in the shop and decide what the heck to do with it myself!

DAC

We made good time today even with the bitter cold and below zero wind chills. 15 miles south of town there was no snow but the 40-50 mph wind was the same here and there. Got down there right at 10 am when the pickup was scheduled to start. They had no loading assistance and the heaviest were 2 flower pots my wife bought that are still full of dirt! Took both of us to carry each one. Her box of rocks wasn't as heavy as those! tripped and fell arranging junk walking on the trailer and scraped up a shin---I looked around and don't think anyone saw me---LOL! Got back home and unloaded by 2 pm. One ratchet strap broke on the way home but I noticed it in the mirror. Pulled over and replaced it. El cheapo HF ratchet strap, that was brand new. Loree worked 4 hours overtime last night so she didn't have to be to work until 6 pm this evening. We went into town to the pharmacy and picked up meds then went to Perkins for a late lunch.

Here's some pictures of the junk that got unloaded in the shop.
DSCN4805.JPG DSCN4808.JPG

A person can never have enough c-clamps, vise grips or hammers so those were good scores at least. Punches and pry bars are good too. A couple of those hitch receivers will get stuff welded to them to adapt to the receiver I built on the MF1450 3-point. There is some nice fitting wrenches and insulated screwdrivers in that mess too.

These two pair of pliers were in the junk. Can anyone identify them? I thought maybe "hog ring" pliers that is used in upholstery mounting but not sure.
DSCN4806.JPG DSCN4807.JPG

I didn't know this was in one of the boxes of junk I bought, but they may be kind of fun to mount in the '55 GMC.
Old but never opened air horn kit, Has a little compressor with it---LOL!
DSCN4812.JPG DSCN4810.JPG

DSCN4811.JPG DSCN4809.JPG

I see no bar codes anywhere so they must be at least 35 years old or so? Looks like something J.C. Whitney may have had in the catalog.

It was too dang cold to take pictures of the debris field still on the trailer. The main things are the camper jacks and a 8' tall yard windmill. The windmill is all there but needs lots of repairs. Metal can be straightened, welded and painted so being complete is what matters most. Another retirement project.

Well, Noel, those 3 sisters do bicker and right now one of them is staying clear out of the sale business. She will still get her share though. Really, the one handling the sale is the rational one and is doing this the best way possible. There is no stuff to bicker about the way it is being handled because everything got sold.

That's about all for now. Maybe this weekend will be nice enough to get some pics of the windmill. It's got an odd blade on it. I've seen them before, but don't know what to call it. It's kind of cup shaped.

DAC

When Mom passed my younger brother said you take care of the auction. We will come to help. Then the sister-in-law got involved and things started to go down hill. She started picking things out she wanted, all the better stuff that would make the auction. I finally stepped in and told her if she wanted that stuff to get a number. She said I bought a lot of that once and I am not paying for it again. Told her that ws the only way she was going to get it and to go sit down and stay out of the way. Bob came over and said thanks for telling her. Might keep me from catching heck all the way back to Wisconsin.

When Mom passed my younger brother said you take care of the auction. We will come to help. Then the sister-in-law got involved and things started to go down hill. She started picking things out she wanted, all the better stuff that would make the auction. I finally stepped in and told her if she wanted that stuff to get a number. She said I bought a lot of that once and I am not paying for it again. Told her that ws the only way she was going to get it and to go sit down and stay out of the way. Bob came over and said thanks for telling her. Might keep me from catching heck all the way back to Wisconsin.
You handled that perfectly, Roger! Did she end up buying some of the things that she thought was hers?

DAC

You handled that perfectly, Roger! Did she end up buying some of the things that she thought was hers?

DAC
Not one item. My brother bought some things their boys wanted. Bob took a couple items. We bought several items we still have, coule gave to the daughter. Life goes one. Problem with the SIL is both of her parents had $$$ and she was an only child so got everything. Hardest she ever has had to work was give piano lessons. My brother done well in the insurance business in the Madison area.

Thanks guys, I know one new male receiver runs around 35 bucks around here. I got the 4 of them and the rest of the miscellaneous junk and tools for about $60. Still more than I wanted to go but I got in deep, I guess!

Pics of the trailer debris---LOL! I unloaded my wife's flower pots, petrified wood and the windmill. I left the camper jacks on it for now and put the trailer in the back yard.
DSCN4814.JPG DSCN4815.JPG

DSCN4816.JPG DSCN4817.JPG
Those are pretty nice winches on the camper jacks. Reversable so they work both directions.

I will post more about the windmill next.

DAC

The '55 GMC went out and got parked where the trailer was. I need to change oil in the Denali tomorrow or Monday so need the room. Stood the windmill up in the shop and it stands on it's own! The original paint is actually pretty good yet. the swivel and blade bearings seem good too. Lot's of work to do, to straighten things out and weld the rotor/blade assembly to the spokes again.

DSCN4830.JPG DSCN4831.JPG

DSCN4832.JPG DSCN4833.JPG

I have seen full size windmills with a blade setup like that but not sure what to call it. Think I have seen pics of Dutch windmills with a blade configuration like that even.

Still won't get much done on it for awhile, but wanted to get it checked out.

DAC

I almost forgot. The go-kart engine still runs great after the carb kit install! Fired up and idled right away, and just had to turn the needle valve in a bit for good full throttle (no governor) and idle. Sure sounded good!

DSCN4818.JPG DSCN4819.JPG

DSCN4820.JPG

The old 5 HP I/C still runs fine and not even a trace of smoke!

DAC

Last edited:
The '55 GMC went out and got parked where the trailer was. I need to change oil in the Denali tomorrow or Monday so need the room. Stood the windmill up in the shop and it stands on it's own! The original paint is actually pretty good yet. the swivel and blade bearings seem good too. Lot's of work to do, to straighten things out and weld the rotor/blade assembly to the spokes again.

View attachment 61920 View attachment 61921

View attachment 61922 View attachment 61923

I have seen full size windmills with a blade setup like that but not sure what to call it. Think I have seen pics of Dutch windmills with a blade configuration like that even.

Still won't get much done on it for awhile, but wanted to get it checked out.

DAC
I think they are designed that way for high wind gust areas, the vanes will "fold" instead of spinning too fast and possibly burning up the bearings.

I think they are designed that way for high wind gust areas, the vanes will "fold" instead of spinning too fast and possibly burning up the bearings.
That sure fits the description of the wind out here, Jake! 30-40 mph is kind of normal and of course we commonly get higher than that too!

Had another junk adventure today so will post that next!

DAC

I got completely sidetracked today! It still involves hauling home more junk---LOL! Did some household chores this morning after work, had lunch and decided to take a look at FB for the heck of it. I ran across a FREE 60 gallon air compressor. 6 HP motor still runs but very slow. Owner decided he didn't want to replace the motor. Just so happens that a few months ago I hauled home a good 6 HP motor from an air compressor! Junk trailer at work find. Tank had split on the compressor it came off of. I couldn't get the trailer hooked up and get over there fast enough, because I figured someone who lived closer would get there first. it was about a 30 mile round trip. I had to make Loree go with me since she knows how to do the map stuff on her phone.

Real nice young guy, he helped me load it and strap it down. Got it home and backed the trailer into the shop. Used the overhead chain hoist to stand it up and drive out from under it.
DSCN4834.JPG DSCN4835.JPG

Removed the bad motor and compared. The one I have is the same one, but the pulleys were different. The pulley was stubborn on the bad motor, came off easy on my motor. This cobbled key and rust could by why---LOL!
DSCN4843.JPG

Cleaned the pulley bore with a wire brush on a drill and it slipped right on and the correct key went in with a little tapping with a hammer. Bad motor on the left.
DSCN4836.JPG

Mounted the motor and tensioned the belt. It would be a good idea to get a bit shorter belt sometime, this one just tightens right at the end of the slots.
DSCN4839.JPGDSCN4841.JPG

Quick coupler is the wrong one for my hoses, so I took it off and there was still a bit of pressure in the tank. Good sign there. Decided to open the petcock to see about water in the tank, and i can't get it open. Bad sign. Wish I would have checked it while the compressor was still laying on the trailer!

Will need to get a different 220 male plug for it too. It has this one,
DSCN4837.JPG

But I need this one. Then it will be the same as the welder.
DSCN4838.JPG

Got too late to work on it any more. Will be going to Menards tomorrow for the deer repellant after a doc appointment, so will pick up stuff to get this freebie going!

DSCN4840.JPG
Wish it would have been a bit more CFM, but it will still be about twice what I have right now! Can't be choosey for the price! The extra volume from 30 to 60 gallon will be a big difference too.

DAC

Back