And more junk.

Shooting in a shed is why I'm interested in this transit, Rad, but the no stand is obviously the big problem. I think it is possible to figure out how accurate it is otherwise. Might come up with some brainstorm to make it usable someday---LOL!

DAC
I bought my Transit at a garage sale in 2000. In 2016 I found a tripod at another garage sale. Total $35. Only use it has seen is shooting in the drop in a neighbors drain field in 2018.
Don

After work today I drilled a couple holes in the welding table to mount this Briggs 5hp down and attempt to run it. That's the engine I raced on the go-kart for probably 6 or 7 years, maybe longer. I can't really remember---LOL!. It hasn't been started for at least 20 years.

DSCN4775.JPG

Spark checked good, so I took the checker off, sprayed a little ether in the carb and it popped after 3 pulls or so. Then the recoil decided to not recoil anymore. Took the blower housing off, and the starter was sticking on the crank. Knocked the starter off, cleaned the bushing in it with brake cleaner as well as the crank. Spins great so put it back together and yanked the rope. All free now! Little more ether and pulled the rope a few times and it ran for 10 seconds or so. I did check the 20+ year old oil and it was still fine---LOL!

DSCN4776.JPG

I may use this fuel tank on the NOS B/S 5 horse I have that was missing the tank. The tank is clean as can be yet so that is good. It won't be the correct tank for that engine, but they are really expensive on the net. I want to see if the carb is ok so tomorrow after work I'll put gas in it and see if the old thing will still run! Sure had a lot of fun with that engine!

DAC

Put gas in the tank and primed the carb on that old 5 HP B/S. It fired off but won't continue running. Of course I want to hear that old engine running again for old time sake, so I had to take the carb/tank combo off and check things out.

DSCN4777.JPG

Fuel pickups are intact.
DSCN4779.JPG DSCN4780.JPG

Carb actually looks good still.
DSCN4783.JPG DSCN4784.JPG

The fuel pump diaphragm is junk. Stiff as a board! Not gonna run on it's own that way---LOL!
DSCN4782.JPG

Ordered a carb kit to freshen it up! It will be fun to hear it running again before the fuel tank becomes a donor! Hard to resist putting it back on the kart and taking it for a few laps around the abandon track too---LOL! Kart is still hanging on the wall. Too old and fat for that!

DAC

It’s a shame you cant find a tank without making your kart engine a donor. All my life I wanted a go kart but never had one. My dad bought me many things including a mini bike at a young age but never a go kart. I almost bought two seaters a few times for the GK but when questioned about it they didn’t seem too interested. Like you Doug I don’t think I could roll into one now.

I always wanted one also but it never happened. Never brought one home for the kids. They had everything else but no karts. Wife asked why and I told her I would help them build one so they learn to use tools and their heads. So we ended up with a couple and they could repair just about everything on them. Built them from parts of other peoples frames and stuff we purchased. They even found the frame from the one my wife had when she was young.

It’s a shame you cant find a tank without making your kart engine a donor. All my life I wanted a go kart but never had one. My dad bought me many things including a mini bike at a young age but never a go kart. I almost bought two seaters a few times for the GK but when questioned about it they didn’t seem too interested. Like you Doug I don’t think I could roll into one now.
I always wanted one also but it never happened. Never brought one home for the kids. They had everything else but no karts. Wife asked why and I told her I would help them build one so they learn to use tools and their heads. So we ended up with a couple and they could repair just about everything on them. Built them from parts of other peoples frames and stuff we purchased. They even found the frame from the one my wife had when she was young.
Thanks for the comments, guys! Mom didn't have the means to buy anything motorized for me. My bicycles were hand me downs. We lived near a creek downstream of Rapid City. It was surprising how many bicycles I would find in the creek! Finally in '67 or '68 I worked most of the summer for our trailer park owner painting fences. Earned enough to go buy a new Stingray bike! Mom took me downtown to Gambles, dropped me off and said "Ride it home!" That's what I was hoping she would say!

I was 32 when I got my first go-Kart---LOL! Brother in law had got one so I couldn't let him one up me! Think this one was my 5th and final one. BIL and I started building chassis and this was one of them. In the late 80's I also rab across one for our son, but by the mid 90's when we were building chassis, he started driving mine a lot. He was growing too fast and ended up being 6'7".

DAC

DSCN4787.JPG DSCN4789.JPG

DSCN4790.JPG DSCN4791.JPG

Very cool! Nothing like the sound of a flat head with a header pipe!

I like my new predator engines but just not the same.

I had a single seater go kart with a 5HP Briggs on it when I was about 8 or 9. I still remember dad taking me out to the barn and showing me Easter Sunday. I was so excited! Dad bought it in secret tore it all down, painted it black and put new tires on it.

Very cool! Nothing like the sound of a flat head with a header pipe!

I like my new predator engines but just not the same.

I had a single seater go kart with a 5HP Briggs on it when I was about 8 or 9. I still remember dad taking me out to the barn and showing me Easter Sunday. I was so excited! Dad bought it in secret tore it all down, painted it black and put new tires on it.
Thanks, Aaron! Yes, they do have a great sound! It would be fun to try out one of those Predator "Ghost" kart engines. Looks like just under 500 bucks would set it up. $300 for the engine and $180 for the accessory kit.

Cool your Dad did that for you! I did similar for our son's kart. The sign shop I worked at let me take it in there, take it apart, paint it and put it back together. Looked like new when he got it. Too bad he outgrew it so fast!

DAC

My wife and I are bidding on some small stuff in an online auction. It's the estate of her late aunt. She had 3 daughters who will divide up the proceeds. There's an old house, a big pole building and basically a lot of junk---LOL! My wife is bidding on a nice-looking rounded glass corner cabinet. Of course, you guys know what I'm bidding on, some of the junk! Just small stuff.

4-4' bar clamps
img (1).jpg

Some receiver hitch pieces.
img (2).jpg

C-clamps with miscellaneous tools.
junk2.jpg img (3).jpg junk1.jpg

Then this old plow. I don't think it's complete but thought it could be adapted to the MF1450 3-point.
plow1.jpg plow2.jpg plow3.jpg

Not going to bid very high on anything but maybe the bids will help get the interest going for those girls. My wife is willing to go 100 bucks on the cabinet though. 4 days to go yet on the auction.

DAC

Back