And more junk.

Nice steal on the compressor Doug. After laying that down once you stand it back up make sure you wait awhile so the oil in the compressor drains back down.
Thanks Jim! I'm going to try to open or possibly replace the petcock standing up. It only took about a half hour standing up for the sight glass to be full. Did indicate some of the oil was up into the cylinder. Guess I should look and see what it has for air filtration too!

DAC

I'm the same way Sawdust. After working with the public for over 32 years, when I retired wanted a quiet place in the country with little traffic, no loud mufflers, no squelling tires, no balls bouncing off the wall from the neighbor kids. In the last 20 years lot of my contacts have passed on or are out of commission. So my neighbor and I trade what ever back and forth.

When are you going to retire Doug....lol.
You will certainly be entertained when you do but the connections dry up when you're not out and about as much...
After I retire, Bill, I will be able to search FB for more freebies like this air compressor! I don't have any connections now. Yes, the scrap trailer at work is most of my finds. I only live 1.7 miles away, so will still be able to go snoop now and then. Some of the guys have already said that they will give me alerts if something shows up I might want! I will have to bring donuts though---LOL!

That’s a good point Bill. I’ve noticed since I’m retired now I almost have no connections anymore, my lumber and hardware supplies are diminishing and seems like I’m having to buy things more.
I pretty much lost all contacts when I closed the sign shop early in 2011, Jim. I couldn't do it and my day job then due to an illness that took a few months to recover from.

I'm the same way Sawdust. After working with the public for over 32 years, when I retired wanted a quiet place in the country with little traffic, no loud mufflers, no squelling tires, no balls bouncing off the wall from the neighbor kids. In the last 20 years lot of my contacts have passed on or are out of commission. So my neighbor and I trade what ever back and forth.
Most of the time I would rather be even more isolated than we are, Roger. It's not city life by any means, but not all-out country either.

Compressor update next.

DAC

The compressor works great so far! I don't think that motor was bad! When I opened up the plug that it came with, I found this. The neutral was not connected! I'll take the motor to work and have the electrician check it out though. Does anyone need a male plug like this one? I will send it your way.
DSCN4847.JPG DSCN4854.JPG

I bought some 1/4" pipe fittings and built a better water drain. The petcock was junk. Had to use vice grips to get it out. An old man has no business laying on the floor to open a petcock to drain it anyway. I already had a ball valve.
DSCN4845.JPG DSCN4846.JPG

The quick connect that was on it was the wrong one for my stuff. I went all out and bought some new purty ones!
DSCN4848.JPG

Plugged it in and it fired up and runs great! Starting to build pressure.
DSCN4850.JPG DSCN4849.JPG

It shut off at 110 according to the gauge that is on it. I am going to order a new pop-off. This one is wired shut!
DSCN4853.JPG

Opened up the new drain a bit to see where it kicks back on. Rusty mud. Hope the tank will be ok. With the bad petcock, it obviously hadn't been drained for awhile. Only a little bit of clear water dripped out when I removed the old petcock. Pressure made a big difference!
DSCN4855.JPG

I'll put on a regulator too. everything I do is 90 psi max anyway. Might adjust the pressure switch up to 125, but need to verify if the gauge is accurate first.
DSCN4856.JPG

Now the hard part. Moving other junk around to find a place to mount this thing to the floor. Probably need rubber feet under it? It likes to walk without being bolted down.

DAC

Rubber conveyor belt cut into 3” squares, stack three out four drill them out countersunk bolts voila, or “soft hockey pucks
I used to have some around here, Jason! Used it for "soft walls" on my old go kart track! Ran that on the outside of hay bales so a kart wouldn't catch irregular shapes of the bales. Can't remember if I got rid of it when we quit racing. I'll look around work this week too.

DAC

DAC-I did the same drain set up on my new compressor I installed last year with a ball valve. I did not want to have to bend over opening a gate valve. I want to change it over to a wire pull type like semi trucks have, attach the wire to the side of the compressor. Then no bending over at all to drain the tank.

DAC-I did the same drain set up on my new compressor I installed last year with a ball valve. I did not want to have to bend over opening a gate valve. I want to change it over to a wire pull type like semi trucks have, attach the wire to the side of the compressor. Then no bending over at all to drain the tank.
That's a great idea, Ted! It must be a spring-loaded valve of some kind? Pull it open, hook it to drain then release the hook? This one pokes out just far enough where I can use my boot toe to open and close it If I'm real lazy---LOL!

DAC

I mounted mine to a small wood pallet I had that a water heater came on. That spring loaded drain valve is a good idea. I haven’t done it yet but I’m going to attach a small hose and run it through the wall outside and let the drain water fly. Glad you got it up and running Doug.

That's a great idea, Ted! It must be a spring-loaded valve of some kind? Pull it open, hook it to drain then release the hook? This one pokes out just far enough where I can use my boot toe to open and close it If I'm real lazy---LOL!

DAC
I have an auto drain on mine. It gives a quick spit of drain air every run cycle. These only work when the compressor runs.
They work good and are relatively inexpensive. From Harbor Freight..
There are electric drains too (I have those too) but they tend to blow too much air at a preset time ( in minimum seconds). Fine if the compressor is run heavily. And they blow down regardless if the compressor runs or not. Which could days or weeks in some cases.

In my working days I had accounts that had 30 -50 compressors each that I serviced so I had " connections " to all the goodies.. ;)

Screenshot_20221122-023044.png

Screenshot_20221122-023022.png

Nice find on the air compressor. If you have the room rather than putting the regulator directly at the tank you could run 25 feet of air line (1/2" or 3/4" pipe is best but you could also use a 3/8" ID rubber air hose which is more restrictive) along the wall and have the line on a very slight incline so that any water that accumulates will flow back to the tank. Then you can install the regulator at the end and also perhaps add a water trap. The logic is that if the compressor runs for any length of time (sand blasting or painting as an example) the air exiting the tank will become quite hot and can contain moisture very easily. As the air travels the 25 feet distance the air has a chance to cool and most of the moisture it has absorbed will drop out as a liquid and flow back to the tank where it can be drained from the system. Then at the end of the 25 feet a water trap has a much better chance of removing any left over moisture from the cooler air. Ideally the 25 feet of air line should be 3/4" so that there is minimal pressure drop between the compressor and the regulator and should be clean inside to minimize dirt / rust particles contaminating the air but sometimes our budgets dictate what we use. They do manufacture plastic air line for compressed air applications which would be ideal but it is not inexpensive to purchase new. Just a few suggestions to consider. If you use the compressor for jobs like sandblasting, painting or running air tools the drier the air the better as I am sure you are aware. A short piece of 1/2" or 3/4" hydraulic hose with a swivel fitting on one end can also be made up to connect the compressor to the air line - this minimizes any vibration from the compressor transmitting to the air line (if it is mounted solid to the wall) and also allows the hose to be easily disconnected if the compressor has to be moved for service or getting at something behind it.

I have an auto drain on mine. It gives a quick spit of drain air every run cycle. These only work when the compressor runs.
They work good and are relatively inexpensive. From Harbor Freight..
There are electric drains too (I have those too) but they tend to blow too much air at a preset time ( in minimum seconds). Fine if the compressor is run heavily. And they blow down regardless if the compressor runs or not. Which could days or weeks in some cases.

In my working days I had accounts that had 30 -50 compressors each that I serviced so I had " connections " to all the goodies.. ;)

View attachment 62029

View attachment 62030
I have that same kit but haven’t used it. I never bought it but don’t remember how I got it

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, guys! I will try to set up the air line similar to what you suggest, Stew, but I can't get 25 feet.

I almost bought the HF air drain kit a couple times, Bill, but since I drain the tank after every use I didn't buy it yet. Still might have to do that! We have a lot of what I think are called "twin screw" air compressors at work. All of them have the electric drains on them. They all run 24-7, never shut off. For the most part the electric drain valves are very reliable. There is one Atlas Copco that seems to go through those drain valves quite often.

On the rubber pads, one of the young guys at work was assigned to a job last spring where some heavy rubber sheets 3/4" thick had to be cut and laid in an area for weed control. It was an "experimental" test. Needed something the wind wouldn't tear apart. Anyway when he got done, they told him to throw away the scraps. It's expensive stuff and he stashed the scraps instead and told me where to get a 4"x 4' piece of it! Management scrapped the idea even though it seems to work pretty well as being too expensive. I don't know what it's called but it kinda looks like it might be shredded tires or something. I cut 3-4"x 4" squares, slid them under the tank feet and plugged the compressor in. Marked the floor to see if it moved. Didn't move a bit!
DSCN4858.JPG DSCN4857.JPG

DSCN4859.JPG DSCN4860.JPG

Might not have to drill the floor to bolt it down!

Then I put the regulator together with quick connects for now. Plugged it in and adjusted it to 90 psi. I will have to reverse the pressure switch and outlet for the location it looks like the compressor will have to go. I also cut and removed that wire that was holding the pop-off valve closed, and it is holding too. This corner with a bunch of junk in it will be its home. The cart with the bench grinder and belt sander on it will have to go somewhere else and the drill press will need to move to the right in its place. Coat rack and some other junk in there will have to go away.
DSCN4861.JPG DSCN4863.JPG

Obviously, I can't simply put it where the old compressor was---LOL!
DSCN4864.JPG

I'll keep hammering away at it when I have time! Need to get the compressor moved soon though, as I have some vehicle maintenance to do, and it and the windmill are blocking that space! The windmill can just lay in the gravel between the shop and the camper.

DAC

Last edited:
I'm a cheapskate and timing was right to get this CH.
I'm usually not a big spender on tools but the wife and I happened to be in TSC one night just before Christmas one year. I was asking about this compressor and the clerk said if we came back after 11pm it would be something like 25% off. Needless to say shortly after 11 we owned a new air compressor. Surprisingly the compressor is made in India.

I'm usually not a big spender on tools but the wife and I happened to be in TSC one night just before Christmas one year. I was asking about this compressor and the clerk said if we came back after 11pm it would be something like 25% off. Needless to say shortly after 11 we owned a new air compressor. Surprisingly the compressor is made in India.
IR has a reputation of being top notch quality, built in India or not, Chris! I'm sure it serves you well! What is the CFM on that one?

DAC

Back