And more junk.

It’s coming along Doug. I sure get a kick out of all the good junk ya drag home. Hehe.
All comes in handy. I’ve got good junk around too. Ya never know what might come in handy.

Noel
Yeah Noel, Junk is a good thing in my opinion! I just need to keep the majority out sight from the house so Loree doesn't complain!

The last time I tried buying lumber at our store it took forever to come up with enough wood that was useable. The rest was only good for making sawdust. I was so disgusted that I swore I wouldn't buy anymore there. Plywood, OSB and such would probably be fine.
The guy that taught me carpentry used to say "That is so crooked the smoke would go down if you burnt it"---LOL!

Those look like feasable ways to build a container/shop! I like the two container setup with trusses, Aaron! Great storage! It would be even better if doors were on the containers facing into the shop area to so it could be entered from in the shop!

That is one thing my wife has said would be acceptable is a shipping container, Roger. She doesn't seem to care what they look like. I have enough materials laying around here to build a nice size shed though. Need to start thinking about building it as my two smaller sheds are about done for.

The lift is operating! I decided to throw away those chinese instructions and ignore the order of assembly. Leave it to them to make 3/8" bolts with an 11/16" head and a 5/8' nut---LOL!

I went ahead and hung the control unit and hooked up the hoses. My plan was to vise grip and bungee cord the locks open so it could be lowered on to the casters. If I could roll it, then the lock rod installation would be easy. Filled it with oil and gave it a try. Took a minute to fill the system but it took off to point where I could open the locks.
DSCN5034.JPG DSCN5038.JPG

Built the caster frames, installed them and lowered the lift. The frames need some deburring as they can catch the post foot plates being sharp-edged but they raise the posts about a half inch!
DSCN5037.JPG DSCN5039.JPG

DSCN5040.JPG DSCN5041.JPG

Then I figured I may have to put a come-along on it to move it. WRONG! It rolls super easy but bending over that far to push or pull is kinda hard on an arthritic back. Got the rods shoved in from both ends and raised the lift up where It can be walked under to do the hookup and adjustment. Called it quits at that point.

Also a floor jack cross beam I ordered arrived today. I'm hoping to be able to adopt it to a 3 ton electric scissor lift I also have coming.
DSCN5035.JPG DSCN5036.JPG

I'm getting a short-timers attitude at work. I have plenty of vacation time so I took the next 3 days off. I don't feel like shoveling s-word all day for 3 days which is what would happen! Maybe not shoveling the whole time but would be out in it most of the time. I will go in Friday as the s-word is supposed to stop and we are shorthanded.

DAC

That’s neat Doug. When will we see a vehicle on it.

Noel
Not until they are melted and dry, Noel!

Looking good there Doug. Use a battery drill to operate a scissor jack ?
It's an electric scissor jack, Roger. 12 volt. Story below.

I have two large scissor jacks set up that way.
Thinking I should go with two also. Read on.

Didn't take long for you to put that together. Sounds like it went without much of a hitch too.
I'll bet your looking forward to your first oil change. :D
Pretty much finished it up today, Chris. Need to work on some details now.

The lift could take a car, but there is too much ice and snow on any of them right now. My shop doesn't have floor drains. Got the lock mechanism working and adjusted properly, cables adjusted so the ramps don't twist when setting on the locks, and test fitted the ramps and drip trays. Everything seems ok! It's up on it's highest setting in the first pic. Probably too high for any of my vehicles. Ceiling fan will have to go.
DSCN5046.JPG DSCN5047.JPG DSCN5048.JPG

The scissor jack came in today, and it seems like it is pretty good quality. Thought I might have done a center mount on it but now I'm liking Kenny's idea of two jacks. I had set a budget to build a jack at 200 bucks, so I still have enough to order one more jack. Have about a $100 into it right now. Buying a specific jack for this lift is $1200.
DSCN5042.JPG DSCN5043.JPG

DSCN5044.JPG DSCN5049.JPG

DSCN5051.JPG

I'm going to modify the jack tray a bit as it is just supported by able iron on each end. I can add additional support that will sit on the ramp lip too.
DSCN5050.JPG

First time sitting completely down. I can't get far enough away from it for a good picture right now.
DSCN5052.JPG

Think I can add wood fillers to the center for garden tractors, but that may be something I plan later.

DAC

Last edited:
Using two jacks would you have one control I assume, would they have to be synchronized. Am I thinking right.

On the tractor thought it looks like you have a good lip or edge on each inside edge of your ramps to make that doable. I seen where a guy had a light weight panel he dropped between the ramps then once he got his tractor in place the center area was easily removed to have access. Things are looking great Doug, faster than I thought.

Using two jacks would you have one control I assume, would they have to be synchronized. Am I thinking right.

On the tractor thought it looks like you have a good lip or edge on each inside edge of your ramps to make that doable. I seen where a guy had a light weight panel he dropped between the ramps then once he got his tractor in place the center area was easily removed to have access. Things are looking great Doug, faster than I thought.
Thanks Jim! It would be two controls but it might be possible to rewire them to one. These will be dedicated to the lift so I wouldn't worry about other purposes. Hard to say if two identical jacks would actually have identical jacking speeds. I am sure they are Chinese too. Might be easier just to use two controls once they are positioned on the chassis.

DAC

Thanks, Jim. Now that this thing is operational, I will look for those taillight lenses tomorrow.

Yeah Noel, it will get a workout. Might be a little spooky lifting it loaded the first time!

DAC

Ya, but you’ll get use to it. When son got his hoist I was very nervous to walk under a vehicle for quite a while. Not to bad now. Funny thing is when I was young I worked in garages with the single centre post type hoists that you could spin the car around and drive out instead of backing out. They never bothered me. Strange how things change as one gets older.

Noel

Doug, here's the two jacks I use. I believe they were used originally for 3/4 or 1-ton trucks. I just welded nuts to the ends so I could run them up with the impact.
DSCN5212A.jpg

I used them to level the trailer up when building. The back end is raised with a leveling jack from a travel trailer.
DSCN5187A.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, but you’ll get use to it. When son got his hoist I was very nervous to walk under a vehicle for quite a while. Not to bad now. Funny thing is when I was young I worked in garages with the single centre post type hoists that you could spin the car around and drive out instead of backing out. They never bothered me. Strange how things change as one gets older.

Noel
Yeah Noel, I worked around those single post lifts way back when and still use a two post at work. It's just that this thing is imported and all I know about it's quality is videos and reviews. Think I got it put together ok at least.

Doug, here's the two jacks I use. I believe they were used originally for 3/4 or 1-ton trucks. I just welded nuts to the ends so I could run them up with the impact.
View attachment 66248

I used them to level the trailer up when building. The back end is raised with a leveling jack from a travel trailer.
View attachment 66249
Those look like they work great, Kenny! I am going to use the jack tray as much as possible but on those occasions I need to use the ramp to lift two jacks would still be handy too. Some trucks have pretty narrow frames so using the jack tray might be the only way to lift them. The frame on '67 to '72 GM trucks is only 28" wide so there is no way to lift them from the ramp on this lift as the ramps are 37" apart.

I started building tractor adapters for the lift this afternoon Been smelling a lot of "Sawdust" today---LOL! I sure hope 2x4's on there side will hold a garden tractor! I can't remember bearing load on a 2x4 at a span of 3'. I need them light enough to remove so I am building 3-4"long sections. Will be able to put 2 tractors on the lift at once.

Used some old signboard, 1/2" MDO for the surface, and with the 3-1/2" it will be level with the ramp surface. I haven't had this kind of mess for quite a while in here.

DSCN5054.JPG DSCN5055.JPG DSCN5058.JPG DSCN5059.JPG

DAC

Thanks Roger!

The weather suddenly cleared so I did some snow removal and a couple other chores. Still managed to build one of the decks for tactors on the lift. I probably should have bought some new 2x4's as these were from shipping crates. They are warpy and twisty. Got it squared up and laying in there ok though.
DSCN5066.JPG

Also got in a shipment today. Clamp-on pallet forks. I will build an attachment for the MF1450's 3 point to clamp them to but that is a after retirement project.
DSCN5065.JPG

DAC

Back