And more junk.

Looking good Doug. Closest I will come to a lift is the overhead wagon hoist sitting right outside the shop door. To tall to fit inside with 10' side walls. Chain hoist on it works good for lifting about anything I want to lift. Price was right also, $10 at a farm sale.

I am really happy to see you get this lift! You definitely deserve it.

It’s a goal of mine one day. We’ll need a garage to put it in first. One day! I was supposed to get my garage 7 years ago but my garage is sitting next to me on the couch watching Disney movies! I wouldn’t change it for anything.

Doug That is going to be a game changer for you. I'm always glad when a guy can get something like a lift to make life easier on himself. Im excited!
It will change the way I do darnnear everything in the shop, Jim! Too hard to get off the floor anymore after crawling out from under a vehicle!
I'm lurking around to see this go together.
I have been seeing you lurking Kenny!
Looking good Doug. Closest I will come to a lift is the overhead wagon hoist sitting right outside the shop door. To tall to fit inside with 10' side walls. Chain hoist on it works good for lifting about anything I want to lift. Price was right also, $10 at a farm sale.
Those type of hiosts are a great too, Roger! If it wasn't for the one I built years ago, this job would be much more difficult and i would have to find help!
I am really happy to see you get this lift! You definitely deserve it.

It’s a goal of mine one day. We’ll need a garage to put it in first. One day! I was supposed to get my garage 7 years ago but my garage is sitting next to me on the couch watching Disney movies! I wouldn’t change it for anything.
The only mistake I made was waiting until I'm an old man to get the darn thing! I was able to pay for our garage with the sign business income 30 some years ago so I didn't have to choose between the kids or a shop. I had to have a shop to do the work. I wouldn't change a thing in your shoes either, Aaron!

Thanks for those comments, guys, wish I had a big progress report but something came up and no progress was made. My wife has taken a different position at her job and it means not having the 60 mile round trip drive up into the hills anymore. Anyway she starts Monday afternoon. The company has offices state wide. She needed to get some stuff up in Mitchell, SD 280 miles east. rather than wait for shipping she asked me to go with her and share the driving duties. Hard to say no. 560 miles later we are back home.

DAC

Glad you made it safe. Didn't happen to stop at Cabela's did you?
I think Mitchell is about 80 miles south and west of here. I should know we picked up a dog down there a few months ago. That was for the wife also. :)
We have a Cabela's here in Rapid, Chris. The one in Mitchell was the first one in South Dakota I'm pretty sure though. She got her stuff, we ate lunch at Marlin's (good hot beef sandwich!) gassed up and headed back home.

DAC

Doug I’ve not been letting Carol drive by herself like I use to since we moved in the country. It’s about a 25 minute drive on country roads to get to any major highway to get anywhere worth going. It’s like a gauntlet sometimes between the crazy drivers and the wildlife. That’s good your wife getting a better position. Don’t rush on your lift we’ll wait on you. Lol

Loree had the same kind drive up to Rockerville to work. 4 lane for part of it. She has it turkeys, deer and racoons. A turkey did worse damage to the Denali than a deer did. On the twisty and steep barely two lane road that goes from Rockerville to the Childrens Home campus, she has had only one accident in the twenty years she has been driving it. Hit no critters on that part of the drive but slid off the unplowed road and hit a tree with a Dodge Journey we used to have. It's a big relief knowing her drive will only be about 5 minutes now! And the crazies are numerous on both of those roads too!

DAC

The only mistake I made was waiting until I'm an old man to get the darn thing! I was able to pay for our garage with the sign business income 30 some years ago so I didn't have to choose between the kids or a shop. I had to have a shop to do the work. I wouldn't change a thing in your shoes either, Aaron!

DAC

My problem is the garage I wanted to build went from costing me about 15k in materials to almost 30k in the last 3 years….

If it didn’t look bad I’d buy a few shipping containers and make one out of that lol

My problem is the garage I wanted to build went from costing me about 15k in materials to almost 30k in the last 3 years….

If it didn’t look bad I’d buy a few shipping containers and make one out of that lol
Pretty crazy how the price of lumber skyrocketed, Aaron. I think my shop was about 15K, 32 years ago. It would probably add up to 30K to make shipping containers not look like shipping containers!

DAC

It was a busy day! I'm tired. Had some chores to do in the house and after it warmed up a little, I hauled home more junk! A couple months ago the supervisor at the plant condemned a portable stairway/ladder. I think it is 16' of rise. It got hit by a truck and bent a leg. Before it went to scrap, I asked if I could take it. I need about 8' for a stairway to the loft in my shop and he said sure. I didn't get it hauled away but Friday he said get it out of here this weekend or it's going to scrap. Went and got it this morning. There's a few other projects that are in line before building this so it can lay in the back yard until then.
IMG_0841.jpg DSCN5031.JPG

DSCN5033.JPG DSCN5032.JPG

The last pic is the biggest reason it was condemned. I will be cutting that part off anyway.

Then I got working on the lift during the race. Ramps were bolted up first. Then it was unraveling the snakepit of the cables. Had to use a ratchet strap to extend the cylinder the right length to run the cables up to the post caps which I installed today too. Got them terminated in the caps, then went to put the lock linkage in. It's two pieces and unfortunately, the long one gets inserted into the rear of the right ramp. The lift is too close to the back wall of the shop to shove it in. I need about 2 feet! I will probably have to drag the lift toward to the overhead door to get the clearance. I'll worry about that hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I can't power up the hydraulics yet and put the casters on until this linkage is installed! I should have done some measurements first obviously.

We have a Medicare appointment tomorrow morning, then I have a doc appointment at 11:30. Should be home all afternoon with any luck.

DAC

Pretty crazy how the price of lumber skyrocketed, Aaron. I think my shop was about 15K, 32 years ago. It would probably add up to 30K to make shipping containers not look like shipping containers!

DAC

Two shipping containers. Trusses over top. Front wall. Rear wall. Locally 3 years ago 40’ shipping containers were 1500 bucks…we bought some at work last year and they were 5500 each.

There was a guy that worked at the mine and quit to do a contracting business. He was doing a package. 2 containers, trusses and metal roofing. 15k. You had to supply your garage door and concrete floor.

34BF9F3D-C38D-4841-959E-CA7786C84A7D.png

Two shipping containers. Trusses over top. Front wall. Rear wall. Locally 3 years ago 40’ shipping containers were 1500 bucks…we bought some at work last year and they were 5500 each.

There was a guy that worked at the mine and quit to do a contracting business. He was doing a package. 2 containers, trusses and metal roofing. 15k. You had to supply your garage door and concrete floor.

View attachment 66167
My son is researching the pre fab units where you choose what you want. They are not badly priced compared to stick building one. Most are built like a pole barn and have a lot of options.

Unless one lives in a city who cares if a container looks like what it is. A coat of primer and white paint changes them a bunch. Or glue vinyl siding to them if you want to get fancy. We bought a 20 foot unit last fall late. $3500 delivered with 2 year warranty against rain & wind leeks. $500 of that was 70 mile delivery and set fee. He put it exactly on the cement blocks where we wanted it. Going to get started on building the shelving later this week. 2x4-8' at Menard's is $3.15 minus the 11% rebate + tax makes them about $3.12 each. Lot better than the $12 they were a year ago. Checked the local thief and wanted $5.25 each with no rebate + tax Made them $5.62 each.

View attachment 66167
That center section would make a nice shop area with good secure storage in the containers

New owner took over the 4 bigger yards in this area. Some dude from the East coast some place I heard. Most of his help quit not to long after he took over. Then he sent out credit application to every account in the system including the help. Lot of use have known the old owner for 30 years or more and have had an account with him. Contractors did not appreciate that and they al left to other yards. Yards from 45 miles away are delivering material in this area now on a nearly daily basis . Previous owner retired but still holds a big interest in the business. If/when this dude goes under Scott will there to get it back and the business will be right back again.

Back