And more junk.

Nice job Doug I agree with Roger I would add joist hangers. Your board spans are good but screws snap under pressure because they don’t flex, nails will flex and allow the joint to release. I would paint it to match your lift too lol…you have to make it perdy.

Do you have a link where you got the jack, could use that when setting up my camper.
Hopefully this link is correct. There are also two ton unites available that are cheaper.

DAC

Probably the weakest point it where the end of the 3' 2x4's are fastened to the cross pieces. Metal hangers would take care of that easy enough, if you didn't already use them.
Nice job Doug I agree with Roger I would add joist hangers. Your board spans are good but screws snap under pressure because they don’t flex, nails will flex and allow the joint to release. I would paint it to match your lift too lol…you have to make it perdy.
The only ones that should need a joist hanger is the center one in each section. I do have some 2x4 hangers around here but I haven't seen them since 2018 when I hung the new furnace---LOL! I'll look tomorrow. The 2x4s on each end are load bearing. and the outer lengthwise ones also lay on the lip of the lift.

I've never had any trouble with deck screws. I built the deck and 2 stairways on our house 17 years ago and have never had a screw break. My hands probably couldn't handle swinging on the the 22 oz Estwing long enough to drive 3-16p nails into each joist. At one time I could drive them in with either hand.

Yeah they will get painted, but colors might shock you---LOL! I'll use up some sign enamel on them. Too cold to have the overhead door open for fresh air.

Thanks for the comments, Roger and Jim! I do appreciate every bit of input!

Didn't do anything after work tonight. Hard day at that place.

DAC

Hopefully this link is correct. There are also two ton unites available that are cheaper.

DAC
Doug, do you think one of those would lift a car high enough off the ground to set a jack stand under it?

jhn9840
John

I wonder if i could adapt that to my motorcycle lift?
Would sure be better than the foot operated pump on there now.
Possible I suppose, Rick, but if your lift has a hydraulic cylinder, you can buy small electric pumps for them. Problem Is I've never bought one. My brother-in-law has all kind of gadgets in his shop that used to be manual pump converted to electric pump.

Doug, do you think one of those would lift a car high enough off the ground to set a jack stand under it?

jhn9840
John
I couldn't really say for sure, John. It has a little over 13" of lift. Probably would have to lift on an axle or suspension control arm. There is a head to screw into it that extends it up a few more inches. The stuff I'm going to use them for, will have that jack beam on so I'm thinking it will work for my needs.

Got the tractor decks built today after we had to do a bunch of running around in town today. Now will need to come up with the drive on ramp.

DAC

DSCN5067.JPG

The steel deck is 15' long Chris, and as I mentioned earlier, I went 12' on the tractor deck so I could get two tractors on it, SJim.

Got a start on ramps today but had a few house chores to do also. I still need to drill the brackets and 2x12's to bolt them together. Then I better put some wheel stops at least on the far end of it so a tractor doesn't roll off.

DAC

DSCN5069.JPG

Looking good Doug.

Noel
Thanks Noel! Had some progress today.

Had more running around to do in town again today but did get to spend some quality time with the lift and tractors this afternoon!
Finished the ramps and since the driveway wasn't too muddy I raised the lift, ran the MF12G and the MF8E outside long enough to drop it again and load them and some other junk on it. Still pretty cold so the driveway was frozen.
DSCN5070.JPG DSCN5071.JPG

DSCN5072.JPG DSCN5073.JPG

DSCN5074.JPG DSCN5076.JPG

DSCN5077.JPG DSCN5078.JPG

Then I raised them up with the other junk piled on the lift.

This will take another post so keep reading if interested.

DAC

One of the biggest reasons for loading it up is to gain access to the 1970 GMC Jimmy. I have to get it rolling again and now have the space to put the front axle back together. I need to get it running this summer!

DSCN5075.JPG DSCN5079.JPG

Here are some angles of those two Massey Ferguson's I've never seen before! Bottom of the 8E.
DSCN5080.JPG DSCN5082.JPG

DSCN5085.JPG

Bottom of the 12G.
DSCN5081.JPG DSCN5083.JPG

DSCN5084.JPG

Before I get chewed out, yes I'm guilty of not cleaning the mower deck after last season! I don't know how handy servicing the tractors will be on the lift yet, but it looks like I will be able to do some greasing and transaxle lube checking easier.

DAC

Last edited:
Back