And more junk.

See why I am confused? Jim is correct, the 110v in my shop is 12-2 Romex. I don't have a clamp meter but might be able to borrow one from work.

I don't want to hardwire as the lift can be moved over to the west, out from in front of the overhead door and the tractors could still be loaded on it.

The 2006 Denali would be the heaviest truck on it, which weighs in at about 5600 lbs, with this lift supposedly rated at 8000. My other trucks are at least a thousand pounds less. That still doesn't matter if the tag on the motor is inaccurate.

Far as an emergency switch I can reach the plug easily if the button was to stick. That would all change of course if it has to be rewired and possibly hardwired.
There are two capacitors on this motor.
DSCN5087.JPG

I sure appreciate all of the input. Will do more research on my end too.

DAC

Got to thinking about how optimistic hp. wise some of the tags are on the Chinese power tools. That's when I went back and studied the tag on Doug's motor. Things didn't add up. I'm willing to bet that the motor he has is going to be a lot less than 2 horse power. Considering what it is doing it shouldn't need 2hp. to get the job done.
Nice to see those two capacitors on that motor. They will give it a kick in the shorts to get it going. I'm running a 3/4hp. 3600 rpm. motor on a hydraulic pump to transfer waste oil for for the shop heater. It's just a split phase with no capacitors and it starts just fine when below zero outside.

The clamp on amp probe will answer all your questions and keep you safe.

I borrowed this meter. Opened up the switch box and hooked it on the white wire. 22.9-23.2 amps. Very close to that chart Aaron posted.
DSCN5089.JPG DSCN5091.JPG

This is the load on it. I am guessing about 1500 lbs is all.
DSCN5090.JPG DSCN5092.JPG

Looks like it's time to open up the wallet again and buy 50' of 10-2 Romex, a 30 amp CH breaker and whatever it will need for a male plug and female receptacle. I have boxes around here. I will get some advice on what to buy locally from the electrical tech at work who loaned me the meter.

Hardest part will be routing the new cable. Hopefully I can use the 12-2 Romex to pull it through the panel up where it can be run where it needs to be.

May be a couple weeks before I can get time or possibly a month since I will be unemployed by then---LOL!

DAC

If that motor can be switched over to 220 V it would sure be the way to go. Lost less amp draw and more power from start to finish. Did that with my table saw and it is up to speed instantly and no bogs down in tough cutting.

I never noticed the voltage on the tag. I just figured it would be 220 volt AC. The other thing I did notice is the rpm. I’ve never seen that amount of rpm before on an electric motor. But it wouldn’t make any difference I guess. Just seems like a odd amount.

Noel

Sorry guys I totally disagree. I would never run a 2hp motor on a 20A circuit most likely using a 12 gauge romex. That’s a typical kitchen circuit for appliances or garage for power tools not a 2hp motor that’s going to grunt on start up and most likely near the end of its lift cycle. You need 25% more amps than that motor is rated to operate with out long term damage and to be safe. I would clip the plug, hardwire a 10/2 romex, and a 30A breaker. This is not an area to cut expenses.
Pretty much what I did on my 2 post lift. Says 2 1/2HP at 16.5 amps 220V and I ran 10ga wire off a 25 amp breaker hard wired.

If you can swing it 220v would be the best way to go. Interesting that the Horsepower was right and the amp draw wrong. At least now you know where you stand.
If you think your going to be moving that lift you might want to consider a drop cord from the ceiling. If you do that be sure and use a strain relief on the cord.
4612f156-c8bf-48cf-ae13-72b9a8223f42-jpeg.391325

I borrowed this meter. Opened up the switch box and hooked it on the white wire. 22.9-23.2 amps. Very close to that chart Aaron posted.
View attachment 66681 View attachment 66683

This is the load on it. I am guessing about 1500 lbs is all.
View attachment 66682 View attachment 66684

Looks like it's time to open up the wallet again and buy 50' of 10-2 Romex, a 30 amp CH breaker and whatever it will need for a male plug and female receptacle. I have boxes around here. I will get some advice on what to buy locally from the electrical tech at work who loaned me the meter.

Hardest part will be routing the new cable. Hopefully I can use the 12-2 Romex to pull it through the panel up where it can be run where it needs to be.

May be a couple weeks before I can get time or possibly a month since I will be unemployed by then---LOL!

DAC
I hope you can find a good price on what you need Doug. I went to relocate a couple of outlets yesterday for a cabinet job I’ll be doing later. I forgot my romex so I thought I would stop at Ace Hardware to pick up a small roll. No way!! A 25’ roll of 12-2wg was $76. It was just a couple of years ago I could get a 250’ roll for that. I did all the cutting and routed some string to pull later. I explained to the HO and they were good.

I don't think the motor is convertible voltage. Looks like I can get 40' of 10-2 Romex for a little over 50 bucks on a epay store. I will have to get better measurements this weekend when it won't hurt my feelings to turn up the heat in the lift bay. Tired of being cold! Can't justify it right now with just an hour or so to work after the day job.

I also have a lot of 12-2 laying around here, but of course no 10-2.

I can't do the ceiling mount cord as the overhead door is right where it would need to be for both locations the lift can sit in. I don't mind the wall outlet, just need to get the parts to build a flexible cord too, and probably better build a heavier one coming out of the control on the lift too! That is a 20 amp cord.

This will be a fairly slow process getting this all done, but in the meantime, the lift does work, just not "up to code".

DAC

Dac, I'm not sure of the area you live in but I use EstateSales.net here and they send me a list weekley of sales that are in my area, I set a 30 mile filter and have bought some nice rolls of wire amongst other things at these sales. I bought a sheet metal shear a few days ago for 15 dollars.
20230322_222550.jpg
20230322_222627.jpg
They are usually three day sales, first day is full price, second day 25% off third day 50% off. I guess nobody knew what it was or didnt need one.

Dac, I'm not sure of the area you live in but I use EstateSales.net here and they send me a list weekley of sales that are in my area, I set a 30 mile filter and have bought some nice rolls of wire amongst other things at these sales. I bought a sheet metal shear a few days ago for 15 dollars.
View attachment 66713
View attachment 66714
They are usually three day sales, first day is full price, second day 25% off third day 50% off. I guess nobody knew what it was or didnt need one.
I will do some research on a possible site like that, Jim. Even at 30 bucks that would have been a great deal for that shear! Nice score! Maybe that site is nation wide!

Got up this morning with the arthritic back giving me grief then I went to the kitchen and saw 2-3 inches of new white crap covering everything. I called in sick to work. Would have got stuck shoveling that crap for the first part of the day. Took the picture about 10am. By early afternoon I was feeling better and that crap was starting to melt so the attitude got better too!
3-23-23.jpg

Went out to the shop and got some heat going. I decided to go up the ladder and dig around in the junk in the loft to see if I had any 10-2 Romex. I did find some, but it was still stapled to a truss and stringers. For some reason I had abandoned it. One end was just hanging. Couldn't see the other end yet. Climbed back down, grabbed the volt meter and some nippers to pull staples. Volt meter verified it was dead. Yanked the staples to where it went downstairs toward the breaker box and gave it a tug. Pulled right out! Got it downstairs and measured it. Right at 30'. Think that will work, then build about a 15' flexable 30 amp cord to reach the locations the lift can sit in. Looks like buying a 30 amp generator cord is cheaper than a roll and ends.
DSCN5096.JPG

I did put the ohm meter on the conductors to be sure there were no internal breaks and all 3 measured zero ohms.

Can't remember for the life of me what that was for or why I abandoned it.

DAC

That’s funny Doug when you said you found some wire but it was stapled to the trusses. I’m thinking oh no he is definitely desperate pulling hot wires out for his lift. That’s a good find. I’m the same way bad weather can kill my motivation to the shop quick.

Back