And more junk.

That’s funny Doug when you said you found some wire but it was stapled to the trusses. I’m thinking oh no he is definitely desperate pulling hot wires out for his lift. That’s a good find. I’m the same way bad weather can kill my motivation to the shop quick.
I can usually get up the gumption to go to the shop in bad weather, but going to work this late in my employed life is getting tough, Jim!

Can't remember for the life of me what that was for or why I abandoned it.

Don't you remember Doug??? You said you left it there for when you bought a hoist.
You have a better memory than me, Jason---LOL! Maybe I did plan it that way---yeah I did---LOL!

A camper plug and receptacle is 30 amp rated.
Good to know, Rad!

Was it for a different air compressor?
There has only been three air compressors since this shop was built in 1991, Chris. None have been hard wired in. Two were portable. Even that 65 gallon freebie I got last fall has to share the 220 outlet with the welder.

DAC

My upright compressor and welder share the same plug too Doug. I couldn’t justify running two separate circuits for two tools in the same area and never used at the same time.
I only have a 60 amp service to my shop so sharing circuits is about all I can do on some stuff. The lift being 110 will work better as I can dedicate a circuit to it.

DAC

My upright compressor and welder share the same plug too Doug. I couldn’t justify running two separate circuits for two tools in the same area and never used at the same time.
Both my welders and my plasma cutter used to share same plug. When I added the shop addition they still share same circuit, but each have their own plug so I don't have to swap them around all the time. Shop has large enough supply wire for 200 amp service, but I just use a 100 amp box and it's plenty.

Dac, it's funny how we both went scavenging for wire. I about fell over when I seen pricetags on electrical wire when adding to my shop. I did have to buy a little 25' roll of 14/2 for a light circuit, but I scavenged from the milk parlor for the rest of my wire needs except for 6' of #6 for my welders and plasma cutter, but got almost 12' of #6 at Lowe's for price of 6' as the guy at the wire area had 12' left from a big roll and didn't want to have to cut it and put a 6' price on the 12' piece. What I removed from the milk parlor went to cow cooling fans and another wire to a 220 plug for a sump pump we used to clean out the 500 gallon water tank for the cows. No need to buy what you already have and no longer use!

Dac, it's funny how we both went scavenging for wire. I about fell over when I seen pricetags on electrical wire when adding to my shop. I did have to buy a little 25' roll of 14/2 for a light circuit, but I scavenged from the milk parlor for the rest of my wire needs except for 6' of #6 for my welders and plasma cutter, but got almost 12' of #6 at Lowe's for price of 6' as the guy at the wire area had 12' left from a big roll and didn't want to have to cut it and put a 6' price on the 12' piece. What I removed from the milk parlor went to cow cooling fans and another wire to a 220 plug for a sump pump we used to clean out the 500 gallon water tank for the cows. No need to buy what you already have and no longer use!
Heck yeah, Daniel! Use what you already have! Sounds like the old dairy operation could be a treasure trove of useable materials! You were at Lowe's at the right time. If I remember right that's where I got the cable for my welder too. I had to buy about 40' (can't remember for sure) and didn't mount wall receptacles. Reason for that is if I had to weld at the north side of the shop I can unroll some and do it, or even do some welding out in the driveway.

I stuck a couple of HF 4' LED lights up in a lift ramp so I could work on some brakes and watch the race at the same time. Think I will round up some adhesive magnets to stick on them so they can be used that way in a little nicer manner.
DSCN5104.JPG

DAC

That’s a neat idea. Can you leave them in there if you let the hoist down Doug. They might even reflect some light off the floor up ward. May help with working under vehicles. Just a guess.

Noel
Yeah they could stay there if they were installed better, Noel. I have to cut chain mounts off the back to install magnets. The housing is aluminum so that's why the magnets have to be stuck on the lights. Can't really open up the housing either. Seems to be a sealed unit. Thay are the cheapest 4' LEDs that HF has so they are not serviceable. With the magnets on them I can probably stick them to the side or top of the ramp shining upward too so being movable may be a big help.

DAC

I bought some 4' led lights at Menards and a year later 2 of them are burned out. :( The others I bought several years ago from them are still going strong.
The electrician at work says the cheap LED's are junk. I can't afford the ones he recommends by a long shot! I am planning on converting all my flourescent lights into the LED 4' tubes with the ballast bypass type. He shot that one down too. I have enough conventional tubes to last a couple years yet but want to start converting before I run out!

I’m like Noel that’s a good idea to keep the lights under there. It looks like a cozy shop area under the lift once it’s up. Glad everything is working out good for you.
Took a better look at doing magnets on the back of these fixtures. The cord comes out of the back so they won't lay flat enough to use magnets. They are hanging in the lift right now with magnetic hooks and s-hooks. If I build low profile links or s-hooks, that should work though. Will get something a little nicer figured out for them!

DAC

I have had real good luck with the four foot led lights I bought at Costco. Both the complete shop light stile and the florescent replacement tubes. Had them long enough I don't remember when I got them or how much I payed I have had several of the screw in incandescent replacement LED lights fail
Don

Doug I’ve had these for three years with no problems at all. I bought the 12 pack that were much cheaper back then I think they were around $150. I thought I would need 10 in the shop and was going to use the other 2 in my two sheds. I only needed 8 in the shop. You can gang 4 together with the pigtails. I installed two switched circuits with 4 lights on each. The four in the front of my shop are over the garage door when it’s open. I leave those off when the door is up.

The electrician at work says the cheap LED's are junk. I can't afford the ones he recommends by a long shot! I am planning on converting all my flourescent lights into the LED 4' tubes with the ballast bypass type. He shot that one down too. I have enough conventional tubes to last a couple years yet but want to start converting before I run out!

Took a better look at doing magnets on the back of these fixtures. The cord comes out of the back so they won't lay flat enough to use magnets. They are hanging in the lift right now with magnetic hooks and s-hooks. If I build low profile links or s-hooks, that should work though. Will get something a little nicer figured out for them!

DAC
I'm not a sparkie so I can't argue with your sparkie but I installed the LED bulbs from Costco (I can get a pic of the box, I bought extras) a few years & I like them great!

I've had my 11 four foot LED lights from Sam's for 7 years now and not one problem yet. Not for sure but I think I gave about $25 each. But to brighten my shop more I took 2 down and replaced with the ones in pic below. Just no idea how long they will last, but very bright and really brightened things up!
IMG_20230329_174735.jpg

Back