And more junk.

I have had real good luck with the four foot led lights I bought at Costco. Both the complete shop light stile and the florescent replacement tubes. Had them long enough I don't remember when I got them or how much I payed I have had several of the screw in incandescent replacement LED lights fail
Don
Don't have a Costco here, Don but I can check the website! I don't want to pull down the old fixtures and hang new ones. I'm too old to do that alone. I think the wiring bypass should be pretty easy though. Thanks for your comment!
Doug I’ve had these for three years with no problems at all. I bought the 12 pack that were much cheaper back then I think they were around $150. I thought I would need 10 in the shop and was going to use the other 2 in my two sheds. I only needed 8 in the shop. You can gang 4 together with the pigtails. I installed two switched circuits with 4 lights on each. The four in the front of my shop are over the garage door when it’s open. I leave those off when the door is up.
I appreciate the link, Jim. That sounds like affordable buying them in a package deal like that.

I'm not a sparkie so I can't argue with your sparkie but I installed the LED bulbs from Costco (I can get a pic of the box, I bought extras) a few years & I like them great!
The electrician at work is a great guy, BUT, he is also very well to do even without working. Sometimes I think he thinks everyone is on his level of spending ability. Like I said above, no Costco here but will sure check on line. I would like to see the pic of the box. Thanks Jason!

My dad has a dozen rural king LED lights hanging in his garage. They are 5 years old now. Still nice and bright.
No Rural King here either, Aaron, but I will probably order everything on line when it comes down to it. Will check with these folks too! Thanks!

I've had my 11 four foot LED lights from Sam's for 7 years now and not one problem yet. Not for sure but I think I gave about $25 each. But to brighten my shop more I took 2 down and replaced with the ones in pic below. Just no idea how long they will last, but very bright and really brightened things up!
View attachment 67035
I've seen ads for these before, Daniel, and they are pretty cool. Don't think that one could hang in the middle of my work bay though, due to the lift. I am probably going to take down one ceiling fan as it is. Thanks for that picture.

Harbor freight had some nice looking ones.

Those prices are good on them, Aaron! That's about what I paid a piece for four non-linkable ones about a year ago. Those are the ones I'm using under the lift. Thanks again!

The lights in my shop are not arranged in a "normal" fashion of being in rows across the ceiling. This place was a sign shop for many years and light shining on the sides of vehicles was what I needed the most. The fixtures are mounted high on the 14 foot walls, most standing on end like you would see in a spray booth. I angled them too. I don't want to wrestle them down as they are pretty heavy with the ballasts in them, and I have no help. Most all are 4 tube fixtures. I put them up alone, but that was 32 years ago. That's why I want to go with the ballast bypass LED tubes. Won't have to remove anything, just run the tombstone wires direct to the circuit. Now for the lights under the lift, a couple more fixtures may be what is needed. Will shop around with the links and ideas you guys provided!

Thanks again!

DAC

I had a lot of those 4 tube fixtures that came out of a commercial building. I used a bunch for years, sold some and gave some away. Now them monsters are so obsolete you can’t get rid of them. I took what I had left to the dump and was surprised they took them with the ballasts.

I had a lot of those 4 tube fixtures that came out of a commercial building. I used a bunch for years, sold some and gave some away. Now them monsters are so obsolete you can’t get rid of them. I took what I had left to the dump and was surprised they took them with the ballasts.
All of these came out of commercial applications too, Jim. Somehow the ballasts have lasted, but it's time to update. I have about a case of 4' tubes left and don't want to buy something that is being obsoleted any more. I had 4 or 5-8 foot fixtures at one time, but took them down years ago. Can't remember how I disposed of them. Probably a scrapyard rather than the dump. Don't hear too much about not being able to get rid of PCB filled ballasts and transformers any more.

DAC

I came out to the shop this morning and turned up the thermostat on the shop furnace this morning. The vent fan started up like normal and I headed back into the house. Came out after doing some chores and it was still cold out there. Turned down the thermostat again, then turned it up again. The fan took off and ran for awhile, then shut off but the burners and main fan never tried to start. Now it keeps blowing a 3A fuse in it. I will pick up more fuses tomorrow when I'm in town to start a elimination process to find out what is shorted out.

5 year old Mr. Heater, 80,000 btu natural gas.

New furnace 001.jpg

DAC

I didn't get to work on the heater today, had a doc appt. and Medicare Advantage insurance meeting. Then it was come home and get prepared for the blizzard. Damm I can't keep my mind off losing Kenny.

Anyway, that picture of the heater was when it was new in 2018. I'm afraid none of the creative fuse options will fit!
DSCN5124.JPG

Those doggone things are about $1.60 each at Ace Hardware! Should be about 30 cents each!

This is what the furnace looks like right now.
DSCN5123.JPG

I don't have much of a mouse problem here, Jim. Things are pretty clean in the circuit board and gas control valve area.
DSCN5116.JPG

That vacuum hose that is disconnected was my doing. Testing that diaphragm switch it runs up to. I couldn't hear it clicking so I took the diaphragm out and put a ohm meter on the switch, gave it light suction and the switch does seem to operate. Did that last night.

Found a schematic on the internet of how to test where the problem might be so hopefully will narrow it down soon.

DAC

I didn't get to work on the heater today, had a doc appt. and Medicare Advantage insurance meeting. Then it was come home and get prepared for the blizzard. Damm I can't keep my mind off losing Kenny.

Anyway, that picture of the heater was when it was new in 2018. I'm afraid none of the creative fuse options will fit!
View attachment 67178

Those doggone things are about $1.60 each at Ace Hardware! Should be about 30 cents each!

This is what the furnace looks like right now.
View attachment 67179

I don't have much of a mouse problem here, Jim. Things are pretty clean in the circuit board and gas control valve area.
View attachment 67180

That vacuum hose that is disconnected was my doing. Testing that diaphragm switch it runs up to. I couldn't hear it clicking so I took the diaphragm out and put a ohm meter on the switch, gave it light suction and the switch does seem to operate. Did that last night.

Found a schematic on the internet of how to test where the problem might be so hopefully will narrow it down soon.

DAC
Wow that is clean

I was able to test the transformer to eliminate that being a problem today. 27.1VAC within the 24 -28 spec. With that eliminated I ordered this kit.

It has a new board, pressure switch, high temp limit switch and an igniter. Mr. Heater website does not list a mother board as available parts but the other parts were. It's all chinese anyway so just gotta hope they are decent parts.

It is what I would call plug and play. Unbolt the board, unscrew 4 wires and pull a couple of plugs. Now I just hope that both of the fan motors are ok. I did get an email back from Mr. Heater company and first thing they wanted checked was that transformer then it was pretty much bad wiring or mother board. My dang hands get cold so fast even at 42*. Temp is hanging on pretty well considering the storm going on outside. No other form of heat out there in the lift bay. Supposed to be 70* Monday, LOL!

DAC

Back